• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Ntrax

Audio Company
Even
Yes and in part I plan to use the FiiO M15 storage to drive the D90 - I swapped the M15's initial 128GB microSDXC for a 512GB last night. The M15 return to production too a bit to long so the M15's 1TB ended up in the Nintendo Switch when it's 512GB filled up.

So the next step was to place the A90 / D90 on their perch and plugged them in. I figured I could unplug a few things and make room, but I found that wasn't going to work, so I looked for and found the APC C25B AV C Type 10 Outlet Power Saving Power Filter, and now I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying watching others receive their A90 / D90, and learning from them as they share their experiences, as I enjoy listening to music on my M15, and re-watch some classic Tom Baker Dr. Who on BritBox. :)

The A90 / D90 are really beautiful in the Black finish.

I've noticed in some photo's that the silver A90 / D90 appear to have a different shade or tone of silver. To me the Black D90 / A90 look much better tonally matched in photo's. Even in this photo with the lighting being a bit uneven at the photo angle, they both look better matched than the photo's of the Silver finished D90 / A90.

@JohnYang1997 what's up with the differing appearance of the Silver finish D90 vs A90 units? :)
Even the black have a very tiny shade differences. I guess is the black finish batches they use for electroplating.

Ntrax

Audio Company
After having the A90 for close to a week, I would say it has more of a warm and smooth sound, no where near a warm sounding tube of course, but I do agree with some earlier impression of other people who says it's less fatiguing.
I get dif result, for me it was brighter and so much detail than my thx887, I'm hmmm..not sure why. And more powerful than my NFB1 too.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even the black have a very tiny shade differences. I guess is the black finish batches they use for electroplating.
Is it a texture difference and a pigment difference? To me in the photo's the Silver A90 vs D90 models reflect light differently, as I recall the surfaces felt different too, I'll check again later.

shiroang

@hmscott I have received my D90 this afternoon.

But seems to have some setup issue, but most likely I'm not too familiar with headphone equipment to AVR equipment.

When I finished the setup, it seems to be using the power of A90, rather than my AVR (need that juice to drive my passive speakers), as the volume is also adjustable on my A90. I'm wondering can I just use A90 as a linkage to AVR (so I could make use of D90 DAC chip), but using my AVR to power the passive speakers?

Currently my cables linkage for the passive speakers:
Macbook Pro USB C out -> D90 USB in -> D90 XLR out -> A90 XLR in -> A90 RCA out -> AVR RCA in

Thanks in advance!

shiroang

Anyways, here's my final setup of Topping D90 + A90 stack!

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

But seems to have some setup issue, but most likely I'm not too familiar with headphone equipment to AVR equipment.

When I finished the setup, it seems to be using the power of A90, rather than my AVR (need that juice to drive my passive speakers), as the volume is also adjustable on my A90. I'm wondering can I just use A90 as a linkage to AVR (so I could make use of D90 DAC chip), but using my AVR to power the passive speakers?

Macbook Pro USB C out -> D90 USB in -> D90 XLR out -> A90 XLR in -> A90 RCA out -> AVR RCA in

Thanks in advance!

No, by going into then out of the A90, the A90 becomes your (first) pre amp (assuming your D90 is at max output). Then you pass RCA to the pre-amp section of your AVR which then (internally) goes to the power amp section to your speakers. So both the A90 and AVR volume controls are in play together.

If you keep the D90 at full volume- use the RCA outputs of D90 to RCA inputs of AVR. The A90 doesnt have a pass thru (signal unaffected)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

ywc

For those of you who use a RME ADI-2 FS DAC with the A90, do you fix your volume at a particular level, e.g. 13dbU with 0dbR?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
For those of you who use a RME ADI-2 FS DAC with the A90, do you fix your volume at a particular level, e.g. 13dbU with 0dbR?
7dB was the default recommendation from the manual with volume at 0. I also locked the volume so it works as a DAC. And used slower filters or NOS.

dixter

is there anybody on this forum that is from Topping that can officially answer questions here.... thanks

hmscott

At my desk I simply plug my A90 and D90 MQA directly to the wall.
Eventually I run out of power sockets, and that's where I am today. :)

No empty wall sockets near me, no power budget left on these circuits near me, I've run a long grounded extension from another part of the house, but I've got no good power strips, only a couple of $3.99 specials a roommate bought that I'd never use.

No open stores to browse for product, but today I'm helping someone with a newly dead computer - power on looping looks like due to component failure causing power problem - so we are going to Central Computers today - now, maybe I'll find a good power strip there... I've got $82 of APC C25B paid for and on the way, but I'd like to DOA check the A90 / D90 soon. Estimated Delivery of the C25B is June 23-30 :(

hmscott

Thanks in advance!
Hey, nice photo's - I see your wiring clearly :)

You can use the fixed output (set in System Menu) from the D90 to feed both the A90 and AVR, use the XLR as you are from D90 to A90 and RCA from D90 to AVR. The A90 is for your headphones and perhaps a future without the AVR as a Stereo Pre-Amp - or adding a P90(?) for the Stereo System setup later.

The output from the A90 you are using with volume control on the A90 can still work, but when you want to adjust the volume for headphone use that setting might collide with the desired setting for AVR use.

How many speakers are you driving with your AVR?

Last edited:

hmscott

is there anybody on this forum that is from Topping that can officially answer questions here.... thanks
@JohnYang1997 - Topping engineer - has been graciously answering questions from us here.

To get someone's attention you add the @ in front of their user name - they get an alert notice.

If you read previous postings back in this thread in this thread you can see John answering questions, you might want to catch up by reading them all before asking John your question(s) - your question(s) might have been answered here already. :)

Last edited:

dixter

Thanks I seem to have messed up and posted the request to the A90 forum instead of the D90 forum will go over there

Pillars

Update:
Got my replacement A90 in today. First one had a weird feel of the wipers in the pot. A minor issue but Apos replaced the amp absolutely no questions asked. Shockingly good service. Popped it open to confirm topping did indeed use thermal paste on the heatsink this time, applied well too. I tossed on some pads in it's place as that's what I've got on hand. Requires a 10inch key wrench to open so, beware there. Really nice build quality... Here are some PCB shots for the curious.
IMG_20200610_163619_724.jpg
IMG_20200610_164035_648.jpg
IMG_20200610_164821_703.jpg

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Update:
Got my replacement A90 in today. First one had a weird feel of the wipers in the pot. A minor issue but Apos replaced the amp absolutely no questions asked. Shockingly good service. Popped it open to confirm topping did indeed use thermal paste on the heatsink this time, applied well too. I tossed on some pads in it's place as that's what I've got on hand. Requires a 10inch key wrench to open so, beware there. Really nice build quality... Here are some PCB shots for the curious.
View attachment 68288
View attachment 68289
View attachment 68290
Are adding thermal pads really necessary? Are you measuring before and after temps?

Top Bottom