• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping A30pro vs A90.

max1236

Just tested both, i find A30 pro sounds more interesting to me, A30 pro has more punch on low frequency, a little bit smaller soundstage, but from my point of view, a30 pro is more enjoyable and more emotional, just IMHO,i will stay with d90 + a30 pro.

Tested ftom single end on beyerdynamic dt1990

Its funny i've noticed similar impressions about the a90 vs a30 from zeos, hbb, and antdroid. Something like the "a30 is less analytical, less forward". I like subjective and objective impressions but something tells me that a comment like this is made once and everyone else subconsciously picks it up. Either way I love my a30 and chose it because it was cheaper but similar performance. its great with my he6se

Volikovvv

[
Either way I love my a30 and chose it because it was cheaper but similar performance. its great with my he6se
A30 pro is the best amp i ever own! This small boy and d90 will stay with me:) This amp sounds crazy good!

Attachments

• IMG-222f023b5d945cf697c8b22d2df05d14-V.jpg
    IMG-222f023b5d945cf697c8b22d2df05d14-V.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 348

3kweave

I mean is someone is saying that “the a30 pro is less analytic while the a90 is more clinical” that is a straight up unsub right there. Both amps deliver enough power to ruin your tympanic membrane 4 life.

Nice comparison thoughts here.
I'm in the same boat, as I'm looking to purchase a headphone amp.
Looking at these two, along with the Singzer SA-1 which is $500

I prefer to have the A90 or the Singzer.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Die-hard objectivist here - did an A/B comparison with an instant switch between the headphone amp of RME ADI-2 DAC FS V2 and Topping A30 Pro. There are audible differences between them, but very small. I will hold off on sharing the specific subjective impressions to avoid offending the fellow die-hard objectivists who are more fragile :p

Seriously though, before making a claim that stuff that measures well sounds the same try it out for yourself. I'm not saying that differences do matter, but they are there. Requires focus and effort to parse out, probably won't lead to clear preference of one vs the other and you could say essentially they are the same for 99.9% of listeners. I plan to do a blind ABX comparison soon to confirm I can hear differences. Fully understand that they could come down to minor channel imbalance of A30 Pro vs perfect channel balance of RME ADI-2, but it would still be interesting to see.

virtua

Die-hard objectivist here - did an A/B comparison with an instant switch between the headphone amp of RME ADI-2 DAC FS V2 and Topping A30 Pro. There are audible differences between them, but very small. I will hold off on sharing the specific subjective impressions to avoid offending the fellow die-hard objectivists who are more fragile :p

Seriously though, before making a claim that stuff that measures well sounds the same try it out for yourself. I'm not saying that differences do matter, but they are there. Requires focus and effort to parse out, probably won't lead to clear preference of one vs the other and you could say essentially they are the same for 99.9% of listeners. I plan to do a blind ABX comparison soon to confirm I can hear differences. Fully understand that they could come down to minor channel imbalance of A30 Pro vs perfect channel balance of RME ADI-2, but it would still be interesting to see.

Interested to see how your blind ABX goes. These days I'm somewhere in the middle. From my own sighted testing between amps, if the differences are there - they are very small. The main difference I usually find is devices noise floors tend to differ quite a lot, outside of hearing the differences in noise floor, I would not put any money on a blind ABX test between any of the devices I currently own. But these days amongst all the perfectly usable devices we have the choice of at every price point, unless a certain option at the same price has a function I need that the others don't, I'm just going to pick the device which I like the look and feel of more. I'm partial to the massdrop amps like the 789, I just like how they look. My brain is likely going to trick me into thinking it sounds better when differences in reality are likely minimal to none, and that's fine by me. If my brain is tricking me in ways that are positive, then let it be lol.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Interested to see how your blind ABX goes. These days I'm somewhere in the middle. From my own sighted testing between amps, if the differences are there - they are very small. The main difference I usually find is devices noise floors tend to differ quite a lot, outside of hearing the differences in noise floor, I would not put any money on a blind ABX test between any of the devices I currently own. But these days amongst all the perfectly usable devices we have the choice of at every price point, unless a certain option at the same price has a function I need that the others don't, I'm just going to pick the device which I like the look and feel of more. I'm partial to the massdrop amps like the 789, I just like how they look. My brain is likely going to trick me into thinking it sounds better when differences in reality are likely minimal to none, and that's fine by me. If my brain is tricking me in ways that are positive, then let it be lol.

I have to revise my previous comment - turned out the A/B switch I was using before was distorting, now have a good one (Nobsound Little Bear 4 Way Audio Switch 3.5mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1W4484) and I’m back to square one with my A/B efforts. I’m also comparing DACs - D90 vs D90SE vs RME ADI-2 DAC vs miniDSP SHD. I’ll make a post about all that eventually.
At this point though, I fully agree with you that audible differences between measured transparent gear is irrelevant and features, build, etc. matter more.

Top Bottom