• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Too Good to be True?

Mishegoss

Hi everyone--I recently joined ASR and have been trying to educate myself about the science of audio, after a lifetime of listening to and playing music but having zero background in electronics engineering or anything even remotely close to that field. Part of what's motivated my interest is that I've been thinking about upgrading my existing AV receiver. Among those I've considered are the most recent Pioneer Elite models (vsx-lx 305/505). Today on Amazon I noticed that the price of both has dropped by several hundred dollars. Upon further examination, I noticed that they are being sold not by Amazon itself but by a cosmetics company (!) that, per Amazon, has just launched and for which there is currently no feedback. You know the old expression, "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is?" That immediately came to mind. Putting aside the question of whether either of these receivers is worthy of consideration on its merits, what are your thoughts about this kind of sales "opportunity"?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi everyone--I recently joined ASR and have been trying to educate myself about the science of audio, after a lifetime of listening to and playing music but having zero background in electronics engineering or anything even remotely close to that field. Part of what's motivated my interest is that I've been thinking about upgrading my existing AV receiver. Among those I've considered are the most recent Pioneer Elite models (vsx-lx 305/505). Today on Amazon I noticed that the price of both has dropped by several hundred dollars. Upon further examination, I noticed that they are being sold not by Amazon itself but by a cosmetics company (!) that, per Amazon, has just launched and for which there is currently no feedback. You know the old expression, "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is?" That immediately came to mind. Putting aside the question of whether either of these receivers is worthy of consideration on its merits, what are your thoughts about this kind of sales "opportunity"?
It would help if you drop a link. Then our resident sleuths will be able to dig into the details.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Definitely a scam, don’t waste your time ordering then filing a claim for a refund. I bet they’re selling all kinds of stuff at prices that are too good to be true.

AdamG

Forum Donor
You can call Amazon customer service and ask them. I think you still get their A to Z guarantee. If you do purchase it use a credit card not a debit card. Many credit cards offer some form of buyer protection. It does look dubious. I looked for Refurbished or used condition but it seems to be new. If your willing to deal with a chance of a problem purchase to get the possible savings. I would call Amazon Customer Service and ask them if this is legit. If they say it is get their name for future problem resolution.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's the season for scammers on Amazon. Almost every forum I look at has people asking about obviously too good to be true deals.

Your 'seller' is named "élass Cosmetics". They don't appear to sell cosmetics. They do seem to have unusually competitive sales for... hifi audio gear, cameras, uh, kayaks, garden sheds, hmmm, airbrush compressors, concrete cylinders???

The Amazon page has an address that goes to an actual storefront in Germany. It has a website. That web page seems to actually sell cosmetics, and none of the above stuff. I'm going to bet they have no idea they now have an Amazon storefront.

The time you spent reading above is more time than you should have spent considering buying from that seller.

JSmith

Master Contributor

AdamG

Forum Donor
You can call Amazon customer service and ask them. I think you still get their A to Z guarantee. If you do purchase it use a credit card not a debit card. Many credit cards offer some form of buyer protection. It does look dubious. I looked for Refurbished or used condition but it seems to be new. If your willing to deal with a chance of a problem purchase to get the possible savings. I would call Amazon Customer Service and ask them if this is legit. If they say it is get their name for future problem resolution.
Follow up slothing: They are not listed as an Authorized Elite Dealer. So another red flag.

OP
M

Mishegoss

Thank you, sleuths and sloths alike! You have sadly confirmed my initial reaction, although the prospect of saving tons of money made me stop long enough to at least run it by everyone here. And now, back to my audio education...

sam_adams

Major Contributor

The unsanitized link now shows a different vendor:
link.png

"Walts TV". Either a database error or subterfuge on Amazon's part.

Posting Amazon links with all the garbage after the ASN number allows Jeff Bezos to track every posting of the link. Please trim those links when posting.

OP
M

Mishegoss

The unsanitized link now shows a different vendor:
View attachment 250083
"Walts TV". Either a database error or subterfuge on Amazon's part.

Posting Amazon links with all the garbage after the ASN number allows Jeff Bezos to track every posting of the link. Please trim those links when posting.
The vsx-lx505 is also now back to its normal price. No mention of the "cosmetics company" previously offering them for sale.

Top Bottom