• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ton of questions (Linearity, Resolution, Bit Depths, Windows Sampler, DACs, DA Filters)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right. What I forgot to add was that it's often a good idea to set the software volume control to slightly below 0 dB. For example -3 dB. This mitigates the potential for intersample peaks which most DACs do not handle well.
If even the Topping D10 doesn’t suffer from this:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/06/measurements-topping-d10-dac-and-few.html?m=1
the filter can handle intersample overload even with the 0dBFS wideband white noise (this generally means it can handle +3.01dBTP material just fine)

Then I don’t see how more expensive DACs which do exhibit this issue can be justified (maybe ESS DAC chips handle it better than AKM and others?).

I should note that he measured 1.5Vrms for the D10 whereas Amir measured 2.1Vrms, not sure why.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is a good thing to have. You get isolation from PC ground as opposed to using USB or coax S/PDIF.
Wow, first time I heard you say something good about optical. Lol

bennetng

Major Contributor
If even the Topping D10 doesn’t suffer from this:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/06/measurements-topping-d10-dac-and-few.html?m=1

Then I don’t see how more expensive DACs which do exhibit this issue can be justified (maybe ESS DAC chips handle it better than AKM and others?).

I should note that he measured 1.5Vrms for the D10 whereas Amir measured 2.1Vrms, not sure why.
That's a difference of about 2.9dB. What if Archimago's revision is factory reduced to avoid clipping when running through some full scale test signals?

His SMSL iDEA is indeed clipped:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
I want to thank everyone for replying, and now I will attempt a reply to things still leaving me curious. As if my first post wasn't enough.. >_<

The limits of audio reproduction today is 20 bits/120 dB or so. It can be shown that 20 bits/120 dB essentially captures the full dynamic range of a live concert. Beyond that, both technologically and practically, there is no point. So 20 bits is perfection.

Is this due to microphones used in the recording industry?

I just noticed in the latest update of Windows the sound control panel has disappeared! And with it, the above option. It is a pain now to figure out what the heck is going on.

Yeah, you can only imagine how lost I am with rudimentary knowledge on most of this stuff to begin with on a theoretical level..

You can also use software to upsample by using Windows to do it (not very high quality) or use the one in your player (e.g. Roon). My advice: don't bother. Play content at its native rate by using ASIO or WASAPI.

What about when I want to use NOS for the purported "better impulse response"? Would that be an okay exception? Also, why can't DAC's be forced to perform the upsampling when using ASIO/WASAPI? Instead if I want to upsample, I have to leave it to Windows (since I use foobar, I suppose I can use an addon that is supposedly a "better upsampler" than Windows?

Some people like it and record music in it. If so, I prefer to play the DSD version as opposed to whatever they did to convert it to PCM.

I understand everyone has a preference/opinion on this somehow. What I don't understand is why, and how articles that argue one or the other can be dismissed? Also I have DSD capability, and I've tried it (on the RME if you don't want the PCM conversion to be able to control volume on the DAC/OS, you can only output directly to Line-Out with no volume control). Now here's why I absolutely can't understand DSD.. it clips and there isn't anything I can do about it. So to me, DSD is worthless from a practical standpoint. And as the article I linked says, there aren't any serious widespread true native DSD editing software, so those "true DSD" recordings seem practically unwieldly in the real world.

And no .. impulses aren't reproduced better. What one hears is poor reproduction with a sharpish/rawish 'edge' combined with some 'roll-off'.
NOS aficionados just like/prefer this presentation. Better it is not.
When upsampling is used (say 4 or 8 times) this effect is as good as gone, steps become smaller and higher in frequency.
The obligated post filtering that would be essential for NOS 44.1 files is taken care off by the filter in the upsampling algo.

I heard no rawish edge, unless that edge is like a knife being rapidly sharpened and the sound effect is being warped electronically. I read this thread recently and MC seemed to say that impulse response is improved, so I think I need to do some reading because perhaps I am thinking of the wrong aspect or under the wrong condition. So would you say NOS is pointless in 192kHz as well seeing as the "ringing" is gone, and if that's gone, that's what you were looking for, while this whole impulse response improvement talk is nonsense?

All DS DACs upsample, its how they work. I don't think it is a problem to do it in a DAC.
In software with a fast processor one can probably achieve slightly better technical results. I'll lay of the audibility of this.
Miska's player can upsample (and does a good job at it but is a horrible player to use). There is a trial period. Play with it.
For R2R DAC's things differ. IMO it is good practice to upsample before sending it to the DAC. Certainly when the DAC's have no or poor post filtering.

So in non-R2R DACs, upsampling is 100% pointless? But if the DAC's themselves do it, then why would the functionality exist in the first place. Also why don't DAC's have some setting where you can force them to do the upsampling (or is this non-rational, because they already do it, and even if they didn't upsampling does nothing to begin with)?

This may sound obvious, but I am guilty of neglecting it when I first installed EQ APO and getting distorted sound:
In the lower left panel of APO, make sure your peak gain is not above zero (see pic below). If it is, reduce "gain" in "preamplification".

Yeah mine was set to this. The ringing didn't cease, and I also use -10dB pre-amp when testing EQ settings for HD6XX's (I'm in the camp of reducing frequencies when EQ'ing as much as I can). So I don't think this was the issue in my specific case.

Right. What I forgot to add was that it's often a good idea to set the software volume control to slightly below 0 dB. For example -3 dB. This mitigates the potential for intersample peaks which most DACs do not handle well.

Yes, I take clipping serious the moment I got into audio, and never have dB at FS from my DAC, or if the DAC didn't have volume control, then Windows system audio was lowered. Also you're 100% right, even -1db isn't good enough, the latest update to the RME DAC exposes output signal power (and some modern music just yesterday I was playing was clipping even at -2db, I couldn't believe it.) Oh and I really appreciate your explination with driver-level ASIO/WASAPI and such, I've read your posts with others where you dismantled "DirectKernel" vs "ASIO" and such. Very enlightening, and thank you very much for that. I will reply to you lengthy post after this one, since mine is getting massive. Though I wanted to say, for some reason, I see the actual audio content IS clipping, but not my out-put audio (nor do I hear it clipping in reality). I guess that has to do with the following posts where the guy talks something about some DAC's handling this issue better for some reason (I need to learn the differences between all that "dB" denominations it seems).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to thank everyone for replying, and now I will attempt a reply to things still leaving me curious. As if my first post wasn't enough.. >_<

Is this due to microphones used in the recording industry?
snippage....

Well if in person no sound levels are above 120 db SPL, and you can reproduce the sound at 120 db SPL, then 20 bits or 120 db of dynamic range means the lowest parts will be at 0 db SPL or the threshold of hearing. So even if you had more dynamic range, you couldn't hear it.

Plus there are some SOTA products that can manage 130 db or so dynamic range. There are some that can manage 120 db dynamic range. In this general level you run into thermal noise limits. A plain resistor sitting doing nothing of 150 ohms (the impedance of the majority of condenser microphones) generates thermal, Johnson, nyquist noise of about -133 dbV. Components that follow will add at least a little to that. So even though some great gear only adds a little bit you have a hard time getting more than 120 db dynamic range through the full system.

And that is if you can find a quiet venue to record etc. etc.

So limits of physics in regard to electronics, and hearing means 120 db is getting close to the theoretical maximum and should be the theoretical maximum any set of ears could possibly use.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
A system is called "bit-perfect" if it guarantees to pass the digital audio data (i.e. the sample data itself, the "bits") completely untouched, with no conversions of any kind taking place - i.e. the audio buffers are copied as-is (they might be split or merged to fit buffer size constraints, but that doesn't affect the samples themselves). It's a useful concept if you're paranoid and don't trust software developers or hardware manufacturers to process the audio correctly.

"Bit imperfection" therefore just means some software or hardware somewhere altered the data in transit; for example, it did a sample rate conversion, or a sample format conversion. When done correctly this wouldn't normally result in audible differences, but the point of bit-perfectness is to eliminate that risk entirely.

The Windows Audio Engine is not bit-perfect, since it does sample format conversion, sample rate conversion, mixing, and APOs. This particular source of "bit-imperfectness" can be removed by using ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive, or WDM-KS, which all bypass the Windows Audio Engine. Whether or not this would "improve" the audio in audible ways depends on the particulars of your system, but in most cases, I would say no.

Everything before this made sense to me, and thank you for outlining that, I am very grateful, so I'll just quote the parts where I have follow-up questions.

The reason I ask about this whole bit-perfect thing in the first place was due to applications I can't even get "bit perfect" going because there is no ASIO support/WASAPI for something like Firefox. So anything like Spotify is a done deal.

I'm using Optical on an RME DAC, and there are oddities with the software side of things. Like for instance it's claimed I can use DSD even with optical but whatever ASIO4ALL and WASAPI Exclusive Push, is doing, it's not allowing DSD64 playback for example, it simply reads it as "not supported" in foobar. But if I go through USB using the RME provided driver, then all is well. Another wierd thing is, there is no such thing as an RME driver for the optical portion, so their claims about supporting DSD are contingent on seeking out third party driver implementations, and then they don't work. Though I think this may be a whole other ordeal if I went through Mac especially, or Linux, but who knows really, this is way wayyy beyond my scope as I barely understand this ordeal as-is.

Why do you think it's not a question in Windows 10 anymore?

Something about the whole loss of resolution is handled differently post-Vista? Like lowering software volume doesn't reduce bit-depth or whatever the hell that means? I assume it's loss of fidelity in terms of distortion. This sort of thing I can SORT OF attest to when using my DX3 Pro. If I use Bluetooth input, if I lower the volume on my iPhone, while using something like -1dbFS on the DX3 Pro, the sound distorts MASSIVELY (very very audible). So I assumed this used to be an issue with Windows back in the day as well (based on the reasoning for why people say "set software volume to full on your computer" and then mess with volume using your Amp.

But again, I have barely a clue as to what I am talking about in the first place, piecing and attempting to filter out technical things when you don't understand them, is tough :\

Also I have to bring it up. But my DX3 Pro functions far different than the RME. The RME, no matter what driver or even USB Madiface ASIO driver from the manufacturer (in Windows) for whatever reason, will never be "exclusive" in the sense that I will always retain software volume control. If I use the DX3 Pro's drivers, I can't control foobar volume (indicating "exclusive mode"). But here's the interesting thing with the RME, I can run a bit-test, and if I have foobar at 0dB FS, it will pass the bit-perfect test, if I lower it by any amount, it doesn't pass any bit-test. This works for all drivers (even WASAPI PUSH/EVENT regardless). Is this a normal feature or just how some DAC's/drivers handle being "exclusive"? And if so, what's happening?

You can put that in the same bucket as "high definition audio": that is, you can safely dismiss it as a marketing gimmick as it will not make any audible difference. DSD has the additional twist of being significantly harder to set up and use (since it's a completely different format from PCM, it's not just a higher sample rate/bit depth). It's not worth it.

So Amir's and other folks' preferences for DSD is just absurdity? (since I didn't see him talk about the industry aspect of having to work with either format for his preference). I'm with you on the whole ordeal as I also don't understand DSD especially considering the clipping issues you spoke about (since DSD if played native can't have it's volume controlled digitally from a DAC, but PCM conversion-sort can have volume control), so you have intersample peaks (which the RME seems to be handling even if it's clipping from the audio source even if your DAC volume is set to -1dbFS for example), but then you have the "actual" clipping we hear occurring since output is set to 0dbFS when outputting native DSD.

I would understand high-res audio like 32 bit for the sake of editing and post processing in the studio, or even 192kHz audio as another forum memeber said if using NOS filters on your DAC would be bad at 48kHz for example. But the insanity I've read about DSD and getting a workflow with hardware and software based around it is essentially non-existent (and most DSD is PCM edited first).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So Amir's and other folks' preferences for DSD is just absurdity?
I don't have a preference for DSD. My preference is if the music is recorded in DSD, I like to get my hands on that version rather than a converted version to PCM.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Well if in person no sound levels are above 120 db SPL, and you can reproduce the sound at 120 db SPL, then 20 bits or 120 db of dynamic range means the lowest parts will be at 0 db SPL or the threshold of hearing. So even if you had more dynamic range, you couldn't hear it.

Plus there are some SOTA products that can manage 130 db or so dynamic range. There are some that can manage 120 db dynamic range. In this general level you run into thermal noise limits. A plain resistor sitting doing nothing of 150 ohms (the impedance of the majority of condenser microphones) generates thermal, Johnson, nyquist noise of about -133 dbV. Components that follow will add at least a little to that. So even though some great gear only adds a little bit you have a hard time getting more than 120 db dynamic range through the full system.

And that is if you can find a quiet venue to record etc. etc.

So limits of physics in regard to electronics, and hearing means 120 db is getting close to the theoretical maximum and should be the theoretical maximum any set of ears could possibly use.

Makes perfect sense for our use cases.

But I heard a forum member here a week ago or so speaking about working with mobile carriers and their devices(transmission antennas?) needing to be rated for something like -160db or -170db due to signal interference if what I recall is correct. Is there any truth to chasing better performing gear for reasons like that?

Also one thing I am somewhat confused with. If I had theoretically, a DAC or AMP with that sort of performance(170db SNR?) as opposed to any other DAC currently out on the market, does that mean if I listen to my music at a lower volume, it will benefit from lower noise(or distortion perhaps as long as IMD and other such metrics performs linearly as volume increases from DAC?) since the best benefits are reaped at 0dbFS from the device theoretically?

Or is there some sort of aspect of masking I need to learn about to better wrap my head around these concepts?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But I heard a forum member here a week ago or so speaking about working with mobile carriers and their devices(transmission antennas?) needing to be rated for something like -160db or -170db due to signal interference if what I recall is correct. Is there any truth to chasing better performing gear for reasons like that?
He was talking about RF (radio) signal level, not audio.

Reactions: Tks
OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
I don't have a preference for DSD. My preference is if the music is recorded in DSD, I like to get my hands on that version rather than a converted version to PCM.

Question now still being: why, and how can you confirm it was a "fully DSD recorded and edited/mastered"? And also how do you get around the clipping issues from having no volume control in the digital realm? Intersample peaks + the ordeal with 0dbFS clipping?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Question now still being: why, and how can you confirm it was a "fully DSD recorded and edited/mastered"?
I get them from specialty labels that record and distribute their own content. They usually state the provenance. 2L is one such label. E.g. https://2l.nativedsd.com/

1561954936494.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I just noticed in the latest update of Windows the sound control panel has disappeared! And with it, the above option. It is a pain now to figure out what the heck is going on.

It's still there on mine (maybe I am a few updates behind) but you have to go in via 'sound'

1561955346268.png

1561955372953.png

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
I get them from specialty labels that record and distribute their own content. They usually state the provenance. 2L is one such label. E.g. https://2l.nativedsd.com/

View attachment 28686

What DAW do they use for this, or explicitly state they don't do their editing in PCM? The problem being, not much information out there about the specifics, and two sites speak on this issue: This one, and this one I previously linked perhaps in my first post. Also, perhaps you missed the second portion of my post when trying to get the image and site you linked; on how you get around the clipping issues relating to DSD?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes perfect sense for our use cases.

Also one thing I am somewhat confused with. If I had theoretically, a DAC or AMP with that sort of performance(170db SNR?) as opposed to any other DAC currently out on the market, does that mean if I listen to my music at a lower volume, it will benefit from lower noise(or distortion perhaps as long as IMD and other such metrics performs linearly as volume increases from DAC?) since the best benefits are reaped at 0dbFS from the device theoretically?

Or is there some sort of aspect of masking I need to learn about to better wrap my head around these concepts?
As Amir said, RF work. And I think what you would have seen was 160 db/hz ratings. Which isn't quite what you have pictured in your mind I am pretty sure. It doesn't represent a noise floor or dynamic range of 160 db or more. It is because you are looking at power levels in a given hertz of frequency. If you were looking at noise in the -120 db range for the 20 khz audio band. The level would be about -163 db/hz.

Reactions: Tks

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What DAW do they use for this, or explicitly state they don't do their editing in PCM? The problem being, not much information out there about the specifics, and two sites speak on this issue: This one, and this one I previously linked perhaps in my first post. Also, perhaps you missed the second portion of my post when trying to get the image and site you linked; on how you get around the clipping issues relating to DSD?
I believe 2L uses Pyramix for the DAW.
https://www.merging.com/products/pyramix

I don't know if it can do much editing in native DSD. I think they likely convert edits to DXD when needed. Pyramix is who made DXD something of a pro standard for editing DSD.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm using Optical on an RME DAC, and there are oddities with the software side of things. Like for instance it's claimed I can use DSD even with optical but whatever ASIO4ALL and WASAPI Exclusive Push, is doing, it's not allowing DSD64 playback for example, it simply reads it as "not supported" in foobar. But if I go through USB using the RME provided driver, then all is well. Another wierd thing is, there is no such thing as an RME driver for the optical portion, so their claims about supporting DSD are contingent on seeking out third party driver implementations, and then they don't work.

That's very confusing and somehow wrong as well. If you feed a DoP signal via SPDIF to the ADI-2 DAC then the State Overview will show DSD and the DSD signal is audible at the analog outputs. It is not in our responsibility if you have problems to generate such an SPDIF signal, nor do we have to provide a special 'optical input' driver. That's thought the wrong way round.

As an example: JRiver easily lets you play back DSD over an optical output of whatever digital interface you use. Feed that into the ADI-2 DAC and it will work. Foobar will most probably need some plugin/extension to do the same (I never tried that). HQPlayer also can do that.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I heard no rawish edge, unless that edge is like a knife being rapidly sharpened and the sound effect is being warped electronically. I read this thread recently and MC seemed to say that impulse response is improved, so I think I need to do some reading because perhaps I am thinking of the wrong aspect or under the wrong condition. So would you say NOS is pointless in 192kHz as well seeing as the "ringing" is gone, and if that's gone, that's what you were looking for, while this whole impulse response improvement talk is nonsense?

The fun part of upsampling is that the dreaded 'ringing' at Nyquist, which is what NOS lovers fear the most, is there because of the filter used in the upsampling process. The technical advantage of upsampling (when using filterless NOS DAC) is that the 'stairsteps' are smaller in amplitude and higher in frequency and the 'roll-off' in the audible band is gone.
It's why they prefer to use it NOS... they somehow like the 'roll-off' and the jagged edges which adds energy and maybe aliasing by amplifiers and transducers. In any case... the reproduced signal looks and sounds nothing like the recorded signal.

Just like some folks prefer vinyl there are also some folks that prefer NOS filterless and have their theories that suit them.

Upsampling makes these DAC's technically 'better' without the roll-off and noise far outside the audible band.
The signal looks better as well. The steps that remain are 'smoothed' by transducers and amplifiers as well.
Pre-(ringing) is back again though.

The impulse response does not improve with NOS DAC's what one get's is a nicer square wave response which is an illegal signal and does not exist in any recording nor music. You get steep rise and fall times that are much steeper and jagged that aren't supposed to be in there.

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So Amir's and other folks' preferences for DSD is just absurdity? (since I didn't see him talk about the industry aspect of having to work with either format for his preference). I'm with you on the whole ordeal as I also don't understand DSD especially considering the clipping issues you spoke about (since DSD if played native can't have it's volume controlled digitally from a DAC, but PCM conversion-sort can have volume control), so you have intersample peaks (which the RME seems to be handling even if it's clipping from the audio source even if your DAC volume is set to -1dbFS for example), but then you have the "actual" clipping we hear occurring since output is set to 0dbFS when outputting native DSD.

DSD is the opposite of the Loudness war. It usually has a lot of headroom. The DSD conversion in AKM chips happens at -3.5 dB, and DSD is known to often have 6 dB offset/headroom. IMHO TP and overloads are a non-issue with DSD.

Top Bottom