• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time alignment of subs

CapMan

Major Contributor
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have the option to set a delay in my amp’s sub output to align dual subs for flattest response or to use a phase shift in one sub as a proxy for time delay.

I understand that the ‘delay’ created by applying a phase change on one sub vs the other varies with frequency, but is it a good enough approximation of true time delay?

I ask because it’s an easier to make the change in the sub vs the amp.

Thanks for any guidance

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have the option to set a delay in my amp’s sub output to align dual subs for flattest response or to use a phase shift in one sub as a proxy for time delay.

I understand that the ‘delay’ created by applying a phase change on one sub vs the other varies with frequency, but is it a good enough approximation of true time delay?

I ask because it’s an easier to make the change in the sub vs the amp.

Thanks for any guidance
At low frequency it is much easier to emulate a time delay via a phase shift than at high frequencies. So if you don’t have a way to do it digitally with a time delay, an all pass filter or perhaps lowpass could do the trick for subwoofers.

Top Bottom