• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TIDAL is NOT Worth it! Listening Test

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm not.

View attachment 2630

Gee, they got all conservative on that mail. Khaki pants and a brown belt on a caucasian reading what? New York Times? Wall Street Journal?... with a picture of white-haired renguin-suited conductor urging his string section to greater glory...

I'm not so easily fooled.
Me either.
Sure I don't have to remind you but be sure to clear your CC info from your profile. I wouldn't trust them for a second.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
....................................... and puke a little in my brain.

Quite a turn of phrase there. I like it. Will have to use it myself as it perfectly describes my reaction to some situations.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203055651-Who-Owns-TIDAL-

It's not just my favorite music click (group of owners, and artist leaders), that's all. I'm sure they're all very nice people and working real hard @ what they do, but in general I love to pursue other more advancing musical territories that are more in tune with my aspirations and reflections and emancipation; brief music for the peaceful mind and soul and intellect.

Music quality first, sound quality second; in this case here. Yes I know, there are much more music in their repertoire, better genres with higher inventiveness for kids my age. I can put my principles aside and just get over it; and that's exactly what I do...get over it and find solace where I know it is...somewhere else.

And it sure didn't help reading the lyrics of that young girl I saw in that picture. Plus, that video; what was it about?
Some owners on that list, I simply don't support...so that's another good reason enough for me. And if other "artists" associate with them it's their business.
I judge no one, but I do make my own assessment...according to my own vibes. Yes, vibrations...that's it...it don't vibrate my hammock gently with a sweet breeze around my neck.

What else can I say; do you like Beethoven?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know that I would want to punish myself in not having access to millions of CD-quality music because who may be an investor in said service. In no way do I build a relationship with them. My relationship is with the music. When I hear about some new music, I can instantly stream and listen to it at high fidelity. That is what the hobby is about: enjoying music.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
+2
Oh yea, Mr OG (Original Gangster) and glorifying the lifestyle.
I am quite comfortable listening at 320kbps and knowing not a cent of my money goes to Z as one of the owners.
Too bad they're ending the the exclusives contracts. I was even happier knowing less of my money was going to the likes of Z and West in artist payouts also.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don't know that I would want to punish myself in not having access to millions of CD-quality music because who may be an investor in said service. In no way do I build a relationship with them. My relationship is with the music. When I hear about some new music, I can instantly stream and listen to it at high fidelity. That is what the hobby is about: enjoying music.
Yes, the good lord speaks truth.. All hail the mighty n merciful Lord King amir

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If any of you have bank accounts or investments it's highly likely you will be supporting far worse individuals and immoral practices.

Life is full of many circumstances. Some we have knowledge of and choices over, some not so much. We can only do what we can do. I feel better at night knowing I've effected the world around me in the minuscule ways I can.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

I do understand some of the sentiments. Tidal is where I spend my money for now . I think Qobuz is also lossless but not able to get it here in Haiti. The annoying thing is that people don;t care much for lossless and Tidal is one of the few steaming lossless. If they tank (When?) then we would have lost something quite valuable for us audiophiles. It bears to repeat Sal1950 post... if you have just one bank account or invest in the Stock Market you may be quite surprised by the cast of unsavory characters you're feeding...

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Punish yourself? About liberate yourself. That's your perspective, but not everyone have that perspective.
We're all free to make our choice, and if Tidal is one of them for you, that's great...nobody can say anything bad about that choice.
You have access to music you like and @ CD quality. And that, demands high respect. I agree with your choice for you.

Share the music you love with us all.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait I thought audiophiles invested in audio gear and didn't need bank accounts?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Punish yourself?
What else do you call it when you can listen to lossless audio on Tidal, but refuse to do so on principal? Is it not a sacrifice? It is not like I can go and buy thousands of tracks that I listen to on Tidal on CD. During long drives in my car, I queue it up and enjoy track after track. Compared to Amazon Prime streaming, the quality is much better (over cellular network). You are advocating a point of view that I should not be listening to that improved fidelity because of the founder of of said service.

How about all the unsavory things these talents, i.e. music we buy, do with the money they make? They don't take our money and spend it on drugs, lavish lifestyle, womanizing, etc.?

As Frantz said, this is the only lossless streaming service that is available to us. Qobuz unfortunately is not (I even signed up but would not let me play). If it goes away because of negative vibe we are spreading, I think you are doing a major disservice to audiophile community, while advocating some other principal with no measureable effect.

We are hanging by a thread here guys. CD as a format will decline and more and more music we love won't be available on it. Without these services, we will be left in the cold. Go and give money to charity or some other cause to make yourself feel better. But don't create a negative movement against this service online. It is not right. Don't subscribe. That's OK. But trying to get others to not do it is unwise. It is shooting every audiophile's foot.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How about all the unsavory things these talents, i.e. music we buy, do with the money they make? They don't take our money and spend it on drugs, lavish lifestyle, womanizing, etc.?

Well, it would certainly surprise me if that were the result of my most recent purchase.

They might get a beer or something. Spend on airfare. Celebrate an Anniversary. Take more lessons.

Here's a writeup of one of the shows.

PS: I didn't find it on the streaming services. YMMV.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
For me, Tidal is not worth supporting. It's not worth listening to. I don't subscribe to it and that's it. I don't care about the CD quality, I care about the people quality.
I care about smart music from smart people...classical music number one.
I don't need Tidal to find solace in life.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
snippage....

We are hanging by a thread here guys. CD as a format will decline and more and more music we love won't be available on it. Without these services, we will be left in the cold. Go and give money to charity or some other cause to make yourself feel better. But don't create a negative movement against this service online. It is not right. Don't subscribe. That's OK. But trying to get others to not do it is unwise. It is shooting every audiophile's foot.

While true, I don't see that as reason to feel obligated to support Tidal. (yes I know that isn't really what you wrote) I also don't feel it should cause one to ignore unsavory aspects of the owners if one finds them unsavory.

It comes down to the market. If there is a market for lossless streaming someone will fill it. Perhaps with a different better idea than Tidal. If the market isn't there, then Tidal is going down either way.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, Tidal is not worth supporting. It's not worth listening to. I don't subscribe to it and that's it. I don't care about the CD quality, I care about the people quality.
I care about smart music from smart people...classical music number one.
I don't need Tidal to find solace in life.
Fair enough Bob
That is your prerogative but if you were to be consistent to those stated principles there is along list of services to whom you would not subscribe ... What Jay-Z does and advocate is benign compared to the other stuff that go around and to which likely you may be turning a blind eye or perhaps an ignorant eye.. But I sincerely get you. I feel the same about certain things to which I chose to not subscribe... I remember after the Exxon Valdez, I made sure of not filling up my tank with Exxon... Came to see that I would need to not drive a car at all since many other companies buy their gas from Exxon... filling my tank would become a singular exercise ...

Top Bottom