• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Tidal prices

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got the email today, glad to hear this. Just a few months ago I switched from Tidal to Qobuz because it is $7 a month cheaper, even though I like the way Tidal app works much more, and now it's gonna be cheaper, so will switch back in a month.

LearningToSmile

Yeah, I was very surprised they just reached out and confirmed they're cutting my subscription cost in half instead of staying quiet and grandfathering me into a worse deal.
Gotta say, I kinda stayed with Tidal because of inertia after doing their free trials years ago, but moves like this and the way they're growing their catalog are winning me over.

8bits

I just wish Tidal had a better UI/UX like Spotify's, I discover so many artists and music through Spotify but would love to use Tidal as my main streaming platform

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this will affect artist payouts. This might sound a bit out of touch or off-base, but I really think the streaming services we have are too cheap, in that they don't seem to support a good living for artists, not even close based on what I've read.

Back in the 90s as a kid I might spend $10-40 per month on new CDs, affording me maybe 3 hours of new music per month. In today's money that's over $80.

But now we're paying maybe $10-15 for dozens of hours of new music per month. Which is equivalent to getting 20 CDs for about $7 in 1995 money. We are effectively paying 80-90% less for our music now.

The vagaries of label licensing deals complicate things, but in the end the artist isn't getting as much of a share as I think we'd like them to.

While this great decline in cost is great for the music fan in some ways, ultimately I don't feel happy for the artists, who may have 100K people listen to their music and have basically nothing to show for it.

Tidal is supposed to be the best for artist payouts, so I'm hoping this price cut doesn't affect that.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I just wish Tidal had a better UI/UX like Spotify's, I discover so many artists and music through Spotify but would love to use Tidal as my main streaming platform
I saw on the Tidal subreddit today that Tidal themselves posted that they have a new beta for iOS and Android (not sure about Windows/Mac) that changed the home screen - you have to sign up for the beta in settings and also select "try new Home Screen" - this is MUCH improved over the former layout. Reducing prices AND improving their UX - not sure what to think!

Top Bottom