• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal CEO: We're introducing Hi-Res FLAC for HiFi Plus Subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think you (and others) are taking a generalization about a niche topic in a niche hobby way too personally. The pattern exists across many hobbies, it's not some crazy revelation.

On the topic of MQA and your $770 DAC purchase, it sounds like you've already let politics bias your perception of innovation that has occurred. That is luddite territory.
Not personal at all, although it sounds like that may only be the case for me and not you. You seem worked up. You made a super broad inaccurate generalization and people called that out, that's all. Nothing personal, so no need to make it that way.

You also are making a pretty big leap thining you know my reasons for my purchases. I have a Denon that does MQA on a different system in my house. I've compared several times between the Tidal Connect feature with MQA and using AirPlay from the Tidal app on my phone (limiting it to 16/44) and I hear absoltely zero difference... at all. None. Zilch. Nada. So, rather than think I needed something I don't and let that guide my choices, I instead let the rest of my system requirements dictate my purchase. I never even thought about MQA one way or the other. No politics... just don't care and didn't need to spend money on snake oil.

There is a lot of nuance in the world, no need to paint everybody with broad strokes.

Last edited:

HappyMetalGuy

I think you (and others) are taking a generalization about a niche topic in a niche hobby way too personally. The pattern exists across many hobbies, it's not some crazy revelation.

On the topic of MQA and your $770 DAC purchase, it sounds like you've already let politics bias your perception of innovation that has occurred. That is luddite territory.
:facepalm:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Dear 8lb 6oz Baby Jesus,

Can you please help me figure out how to keep the glee and general discussion around the apparent demise of MQA from getting into every thread. Thank you, and I promise I'll be good from now on.
Amen
Our Lord and saviour @amirm , in his infinite and humbling wisdom foresaw this .

Many knickers were twisted , all for megabytes on a Internet server .

Kinky Bob loves to twist knickers , a very expensive indulgence.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said "people cannot afford access to MQA." I said that most folks with an opinion against MQA tend to not even own the hardware, and it is more connected to their economic situation than they are willing to admit. There is quite a bit more nuance to what I am saying than what you have picked up.
This is a weird flex. The only people with an opinion one way or the other are hobbyists and vendors. I think it’s safe to say Archimago has tried the equipment and can afford it easily. I have 3 MQA ready DACs, and I think it’s a scam - (inaudible) worse resolution for a premium.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just in case people hadn’t seen it:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Kinky Bob loves to twist knickers , very expensive indulgence.

Don't I know it...

Good to see you! You ready to take the keys back from us apprentices?

doodlebro

Not personal at all, although it sounds like that may only be the case for me and not you. You seem worked up. You made a super broad inaccurate generalization and people called that out, that's all. Nothing personal, so no need to make it that way.

You also are making a pretty big leap thining you know my reasons for my purchases. I have a Denon that does MQA on a different system in my house. I've compared several times between the Tidal Connect feature with MQA and using AirPlay from the Tidal app on my phone (limiting it to 16/44) and I hear absoltely zero difference... at all. None. Zilch. Nada. So, rather than think I needed something I don't and let that guide my choices, I instead let the rest of my system requirements dictate my purchase. I never even thought about MQA one way or the other. No politics... just don't care and didn't need to spend money on snake oil.

There is a lot of nuance in the world, no need to paint everybody with broad strokes.

Projection city, population: you. I never painted you with the generalization, you desperately want to be painted by it though. Super weird.

This is a weird flex. The only people with an opinion one way or the other are hobbyists and vendors. I think it’s safe to say Archimago has tried the equipment and can afford it easily. I have 3 MQA ready DACs, and I think it’s a scam - (inaudible) worse resolution for a premium.

No flex, when you make an observation and the hive-mind reacts, it is a beautiful thing. I mentioned something about the "MQA war" I find funny, as it relates to other niches when technology moves on, you all took it like bait.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Our Lord and saviour @amirm , in his infinite and humbling wisdom foresaw this .

Many knickers were twisted , all for megabytes on a Internet server .

Kinky Bob loves to twist knickers , a very expensive indulgence.
I have no room left for twisting my knickers further. Especially so when the topic is about “Shrubbery”. :oops:

I think we’re done here with this discussion. Nothing to see here folks move along and stay off the grass mates! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom