• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Threshold S/500 Amplifier power on led value

Does anyone know the led specification for the power-on indicator on a Threshold S/500 amplifier? The power-on led no longer works on this unit and needs a replacement red color led.

Thanks for your help.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most "little LEDs" are electrically similar and interchangeable (as long as they fit mechanically/physically). Different colors (different materials/chemistry) require slightly different voltages but LEDs are "current driven" and with these little LEDs a series resistor is used to control/limit the current and then the voltage "magically falls into place" and different color will work.

The brightness does vary.

LED failures are extremely rare. It might be something else. I work in electronics and I occasionally see a dead-on-arrival LED, but I don't know if I've ever seen a field failure.

A red LED working properly should have about 2V across it. If it's shorted you'll read zero, but other failures can also give zero. If the LED is open you'll read 5V or more... whatever is fed to the LED & resistor together... Higher voltage is a clear indication of a bad/open LED. With no current, no voltage is dropped across the resistor and it all appears across LED.

OP
S
Not sure what caused the led failure -- The two 6A, two 8A, and single ac line fuses are all good. Never fiddled with the fuses in the unit, though upon checking, it looks like a 10A ac line fuse was put in place of the 12A line fuse requirement set out in the specs.

Shortly before the occurrence, noticed a flash, and then a burning smell. The unit never ran hot and only got ever so slightly warm running a pair of Sound Lab ESL's, even in the heat of summer ambient temperatures with indoor temps sometimes above 90 deg. F. However, at the time of occurrence, touched the front fascia and heatsinks and it was the hottest they ever got, perhaps in the 100 deg. F range. Turned the unit off immediately, let it rest overnight.

Next morning, checked the fuses and they're all good, turned the unit on and other than the initial current inrush and dimmed lights, pure silence. Turned the tunes on and the Threshold performs without a hitch, albeit no power-on led light.

Attached are photographs of the unit. Unless i'm misinterpreting, looks like the led wires are in fact toasted, leading to that burning plastic smell.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_150837352.jpg
    IMG_20240406_150837352.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240406_151408715.jpg
    IMG_20240406_151408715.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20240406_151033006.jpg
    IMG_20240406_151033006.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 49
OP
S
Hi, I happened to locate the resistor that went bad in the Threshold and that caused the power-on led to burn out. Would anyone happen to know the resistor value based on the attached schematics (couldn't locate the LED symbol and its associated resistor anywhere on the schematic)? I'm not versed in electrical circuits so help is appreciated. Here's a picture of the resistor leading to led failure and the schematics. Thanks for your input.

IMG_20240421_110917369.jpg

Attachments

• S300 with values.jpg
    S300 with values.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 16
  • threshold_s-series.pdf
    233.9 KB · Views: 13

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Update: Thanks to everyone for your input. Decided to hand over the unit to a service professional given the high voltages and my inexperience.
Good move... The unit could be deadly or similar if taking a direct hit from that power supply. A slight mistake could short out stuff and fry many expensive parts etc etc.

Top Bottom