• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

They are turning off landlines in 2025!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this repeating problem in my rural cabin. When the internet is down, I have to drive quite a few miles to get any cell signal and report it. They are always like "OK, can you tell me what your router lights are doing?'....No matter how many times I explain that if I'm talking to them when I don't have service, I'm miles away from home, they want to take me through the crtl-alt-del playbook.

Furthermore, their snooperware that can allegedly see if my gateway is connected is giving false results. Or they are just saying yes for the heck of it.
I think you need to escalate this and take it to the higher powers that be... If they have a A Team that handles problematic stuff that the B Team can't manage and don't understand or have the tools for then you need their A Team or upper manager that can understand the situation and think things through... I have been in your situation before and I realized that many of the service reps simply don't have the experience or education to understand stuff... so they operate from scripts and flow charts and if anything goes beyond that they are incompetent. I had to with a ISP DSP connection after several months of really crappy phone tech support contact via fax and addressed the fax document to the CFO of the company and using a legal document format with the date and method of taking the Corporation to court in my home town where I would file the claim and create the file with the court. I advised them that in Canada it is illegal to expense a customer for product or service and not deliver them and that I would be seeking refund for every single month of bad service and all my time at the rate of $20 per hour would be added that the claim. I reached that hourly rate after I took another organization to court and the judge advised me that I was low on the dollar amount and that I should look to $20 per hour as a very reasonable fee for all my time. So in the end with the DSP service provider I billed for every minute on hold and talking with them, for all the months of not providing the promised service, for the corporation lying to me about the service capabilities and finally for the inconvenience and frustration of their attempts to block my request for proper service and so they contacted me by telephone. It was a high level manager. He tried to avoid any responsibility and I simply said, If you don't provide the compensation then on Monday morning I will be at the court registry filing the case and you will need to send a lawyer or have a high level manager attend the court in the location of my choosing. He was flustered and said OK I will have the cheque made and mail it to you ASAP. I had the cheque in a few days. So that was it... I have never done business with the ISP Telus ever again. This was the 2nd time I had to use legal force to get what I paid for or for what they where attempting to expense me for. When they realized I was not messing around and that I might create bad press for the company and show people that they don't have to take it they immediately came around to my way of thinking because I was right and justified. So give them the opportunity to correct the issue, keep detailed records of the time on the telephone and everything and dates and who you spoke with and record the calls if you can. I record all my calls when business dealings are in progress. Force the matter to a proper manager and if need be after that use the court threat to get your money back.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ISDN is still in service in much of Europe. I have friends in the UK who still have it.

It Still Does Nothing!

Fun fact: I designed a wide area network for a high end estate agent (realtor) in the South of England in the mid 90's. I had wait 9 months to get a Primary Rate ISDN connection (30B+2D) deployed to the their head office because it was located in a 'historic' high street which could only be dug up once per year :)

ISDN will die in the UK with the rest of the copper lines in 2025.

Top Bottom