• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Therapy thread for those looking to upgrade for no logical reason

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
So I think I really should go spend $5K or so on some Philharmonic BMR HT's or Ascend ELX's or Revel F226Be's, none of which I have actually heard
I picked up some Revel F206s at a really great price, they sound excellent and measure well in my room. Yet deep in my mind I am already constructing the rationale for spending 3 times more on F226s which would obviously be ‘end game’ in my head ! I know it would be small margins and the gains could never justify the financial outlay for me …

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
"I know it's not going to be better- I just feel like a new amp in my collection" or "I've always liked that series and I want the whole set".
Sounds you went into those purchases totally eyes open John - not trying to rationalise any audio gains , but just wanting to own the gear for the hell of it.

I guess it’s a little bit more like the psychology of clothes shopping if that makes sense ?

I read some where that it’s the thinking about and planning stage of purchasing that gets our brain’s reward / pleasure systems most fired up. It peaks just before you hand over your credit card and is down hill after that!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I own a pair of this:

1707640738874.jpeg

But, I want to "maximally" upgrade to this:

1707641144210.jpeg

This is veering towards illogical because I only live in a small townhouse unit, and have gotten noise complaints from the next door neighbour using just the former "nearfield" studio monitor (with a single sub). Perhaps I could justify the "smallest" version... but it's still frankly unnecessary. Honestly, with more funds at hand, it would be really, really hard to say "No, I don't need the upgraded gear at all".

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Honestly, with more funds at hand, it would be really, really hard to say "No, I don't need the upgraded gear at all".
Will it be frustrating having the new gear and not being able to crank it up because of your neighbours ?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Will it be frustrating having the new gear and not being able to crank it up because of your neighbours ?

I think, yes. For example, why did I bother upgrading my single 12" sealed sub (which was never exceedingly that lacking in this room anyway) for this JTR sub:

If, I'm only able to crank it up to full at a very specific time periods or days! -- being anxious of noise complaints or be reported to police or HOA and always having to be aware if the neighbour is at home sleeping right now or not etc. Once upon a time, I could easily play music and movies with reckless abandon and with no care about what others thought... back when I still lived in a fully detached house. No longer the case though.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
I think, yes. For example, why did I bother upgrading my single 12" sealed sub (which was never exceedingly that lacking in this room anyway) for this JTR sub:
I bought a pair of Revel M106 speakers on sale at the same time at the F206s. I have no space in my house right now but somehow convinced myself it would be a good idea to have matching rear surrounds for some time in the future when we have enough space . They are in sealed boxes in our garage :(

Arghhhh !

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just like buying equipment. I stopped bothering to justify it to myself some years ago. Just hit the BIN button and release some endorphins.

It does mean that when we have a meet I've always got something new to bring along.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Post here if you are getting the (seemingly) inevitable urge to upgrade something that you are happy with for no logical reason.

I find the most effective remedy for those urges is being permanently impecunious. If scraping together enough for daily necessities like food is your primary concern then fantasising about a new DAC with 3dB better Sinad recedes into the background. If y'all have money to burn then I'm sure there is a deserving cause – myself included – that would be willing to take some of it off your hands. Problem solved!

Paypal accepted ... ;-)

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My itch to upgrade vanished after getting proper quality studio gear that sound and look fantastic. This is for my desktop setup with Genelec 8331+7350 which I use primarily for music listening. Before that 'the search' was always on. Sometimes I get the itch to upgrade my living room setup (Genelec 8340) but it luckily always passes - at least for now... :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I find myself reminiscing over equipment I owned ( and sold) years ago, I know it won’t be any ‘better’ but just nostalgia I suppose.
I think I am over my Sony ‘Esprit’ phase but I used to own a Nagra PLP preamp that was very cute, the PLP was their first domestic piece of hi-fi when Kudelski were still just one company and before they went ‘oligarch’.
Keith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up some Revel F206s at a really great price, they sound excellent and measure well in my room. Yet deep in my mind I am already constructing the rationale for spending 3 times more on F226s which would obviously be ‘end game’ in my head ! I know it would be small margins and the gains could never justify the financial outlay for me …
But then the 328s would sneak in as 'endgame'...and then maybe some Blades...

Waxx

Major Contributor
I need a bigger space so i can install big JBL's that i'll have to buy or better, clone, to fit that space, and then i ned a more powerfull amplifier setup probally....

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking: nothing. Because I'm spent out on audio and have all I need. Then I remembered, I actually do have an 'irrational' purchase desire: I generally don't care for subwoofers, have already had subwoofers and sold them, and yet I'm contemplating getting a subwoofer! A REL at that! I'm sure just reading more scathing comments about REL will count as an intervention :)

Freeway

I just checked which credit card is connected to my Paypal account. Bad sign.
Speaker I have been interested in for a small while. Used. Fair price. Not available retail around here about. Mint. Perhaps too big, but I can rearrange.
Do I need it ?????
I tell myself I can always sell it if I don't like it. Like that ever happens! Just trickles down to my kids/family members.
Stinky thinking for sure.

Last edited:

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My next system is going to be my final system, would much rather spend the money on actual music.

Maybe it's just me, but I eventually got to a point where I just thought enough is enough. Trouble is, if you spend your whole life chasing better and better, really even what seems like the dream system now won't be in a couple of years. Plus it saps enjoyment from the system and music by constantly wondering if there is better. Plus a lot of the time 'better' wear's thin pretty quickly. It's a sickness really.

My advice is buy something decent, stick with it and spend the money on physical music media. No point buying gold and all that kind of thing, once music is all but digital, should anything ever happen to it or the internet dies, those CD's, records, tape, whatever the format are going to be worth an absolute fortune.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I had almost my end game decades back, got married and any spare dosh goes into the household now, as will revenue from my stash sell-off (won't be very much but still).

Being a fan of the 1970's Crown D series amps and using my ugly old D-150 mk1, I hanker after a mid period DC300A (satin front with IOC lamps). I don't *need* that much power and it could be argued that performance is off the pace now, although one I know quite well has a delightful 'iron fist in velvet glove' kind of delivery to it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the comments in review threads, there's a growing FOMO and jumping-to-buy based on perceived group hype. It feeds off itself. Be careful.
I must be living in a cave or something because this is the first time I heard of FOMO, or fear of missing out. It's being discussed lately with respect to the S&P 500 hitting 5,000.

Top Bottom