• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Shape of IEMs to Come

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Read this article on headphones.com talking about the advantages of using B&K5128 for in-ear headphones specifically, and found it interesting.

If I understood it correctly, it is saying that 5128 with its closer-to-human-ear acoustic impedance provides better insights into how in-ear headphones would sound in the ears of actual people.

I don't know if the claims are correct or not, but I can relate to some of the points made, for example "bad quality of bass" from BA, which according to the article, might be quantified with measurements done with 5128/4620. I read about the claims (and lack of proof supporting the claims) regarding better treble "resolution" earlier, however I was not aware that, specifically for in-ear headphones, there is quite significant advantages to using 5128 for frequencies below 1KHz as well.

graph7.jpg
graph8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a somewhat related topic, there is a section about acoustic impedance, which I found very useful and I think I have a better idea why it might not be possible to make a NFS for headphones, unfortunately.

markanini

Major Contributor
I've experimented with EQ matching functions as a means to verify the advertised improved accuracy, but I don't think the resulting output is dramatically better than 711 couplers, just different.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've experimented with EQ matching functions as a means to verify the advertised improved accuracy, but I don't think the resulting output is dramatically better than 711 couplers, just different.
I really don't like some well perceived and widely liked IEMs, even when I tried to correct them to my taste after EQing them. I will try to see if 5128 based measurements will make any difference. In the end I think there is not preference based target and we will have to wait for Harman for that, but I am really curious whether 5128 really makes a difference <1KHz as postulated.

koustuvk17

It just mainly hinges on 2 things.

1. Whether DF + tilt works as a preference target.
2. Whether the acoustic impedance matters all that much, given the "better" ear canal of 5128 is still just made using scandinavian people as samples.

Research is needed to confirm these.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First, @IAtaman thank you for sharing this excellent article. I have learned a lot about IEM. I am still fairly new to IEMs, particularly when compared to my experience with listening to speakers and headphones. Started in the 70’s, and started last year with IEMs. After some learning curves, i admit that listening with my Truehear Zero is getting a bigger and bigger share of my musical enjoyment, getting close to 50%.
I have had many headphones over the years, but listening to headphones was always second rate to me, compare to speakers. Since I acquired the Zero, I also acquired a Hola (for a different room) I also like it a lot, but not as much as the Zero. But since I started with IEMs, past the accoutumance period, they rate as equal to speaker to me, different but equally satisfying.
I have 2 questions about the article you share, that I hope, the IEM and headphones ASR resident expert can help me with.
To me a IEM, even the Hola, provide a superior musical experience to any headphone I have ever used, why is the article author thinking a HD650 is what IEMs of the future should aim at?
I did not realize the HD650 was such a reference amount headphones, is it?

Last edited:
OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what exactly the writer means, and I am not expert either - not even close. Nonetheless, my take is the following:

HD650/HD600 is generally regarded as the "correct" tonality when it comes to headphones (probably sans sub-bass), and although not universally, it sounds good to most people. I think what the writer is trying to say is that why there is no IEM that is as widely regarded as reference as HD650 when it comes to tonality.

When you listen to music with a headphone like HD650, sound goes through your outer ear, which tunes the frequency response that reaches your ear drum in a way that is very familiar to you. Since IEMs circumvent your outer ear and send the music directly into your ear canal, they can not take advantage of this familiar tuning offered by your pinna. Because of that, I personally think it is very unlikely for an IEM to enjoy the widely regarded "corect tonality" badge HD650/HD600 enjoys without help from smart algorithms and DSP. Again, not an expert, and just a personal opinion. In the article, the writer claims some IEMs do come close to a tuning which they postulate to be the most "headphone" like based on the target they have chosen. How widely that claim would be supported is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
For me, over many years of listening, the preference goes:

1. Speakers
2. Open headphones
3. IEM's

Open air audio is by far the most organic and natural experience. Personally, I'd never own headphones or IEM's if the situation allowed me to use a fine pair of speakers, no matter the accuracy.
Speakers are still the the juiciest, most immersive listening experience(for stereo content not binaural). Followed by headphones(a good closed back is fine for me).
But as far as my listening time, speakers make up around half of my listening time, IEMs the other half. You just can't beat the convenience of IEMs.

Reactions: GPJ

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speakers are still the the juiciest, most immersive listening experience(for stereo content not binaural). Followed by headphones(a good closed back is fine for me).
But as far as my listening time, speakers make up around half of my listening time, IEMs the other half. You just can't beat the convenience of IEMs.

I find headphones are the worst of both worlds.

Top Bottom