• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Rolling Stones – Hackney Diamonds : Will stereo high resolution be better than Dolby Atmos?

Ronnie1963

I "found" the CD files and deleted them after listening. Too stimulating for my tinnitus this wall of sound. Decent album though.

Willem

Major Contributor
I heard some of it, and decided Mick Jagger's voice is really too old. I thought the singing was embarrasing compared to earlier days.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,
The Rolling Stones are back with their 24th studio album “Hackney Diamonds”, 7 years after “Blue and Lonesome”, which was a covers album, and 18 years after “A Bigger Bang”, which consisted of original songs.
View attachment 320114

For this album, 3 versions are tested: Amazon Music UltraHD in 24 bits 96kHz, Tidal MAX flac in 24 bits 96 kHz and Tidal Dolby Atmos.
The waveform of the stereo versions is without comment, with significant use of dynamics compression (DR5) as shown in the curve below:
View attachment 320115
Tidal (or Amazon) Waveform

When you zoom in, as shown in the curve below, you can see that the dynamics compression is not clean and that there are small areas of clipping (red circles):
View attachment 320116
Zoom in the Tidal Waveform

If we compare with the Atmos version downmixed in stereo (curve below), we can see that the dynamic range has been preserved (DR12):
View attachment 320117
waveform : Tidal Atmos downmised in 2.0

The Dolby Atmos mix expands the front soundstage by making the most of the side channels in terms of spatialization.
View attachment 320118
Average spatialization (Atmos 7.1.4)

When you listen to it, on the one hand you have a high-resolution stereo version (24/96) that's rather in-your-face with the dynamics compression, unlike the Dolby Atmos version, which provides much more precision and dynamics, which is noticeable when you increase the volume, the Dolby Atmos version having more impact even in stereo downmix.

You can find the extracts to compare as well as all the measurements here.

Enjoy your listening.
Jean-François
What software are used for the analysis and the the comparisons?

JeremyFife

Update: the vinyl release has been added to this analysis (one version anyway).
Guess what, it's less compressed/ mangled than everything apart from the atmos version.

What a #_&+(##! irony ... In this day and age, the best sound comes from dragging a rock over plastic.

Obviously, not all releases are like this: jazz, folk and 'grown up' music are not subject to these mental commercial decisions to the same extent. Still, how do you tell without buying and measuring. Daft.

Going to have to learn how to rip from Atmos/SACD!

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I prefer plain stereo to the Atmos version, at least it somewhat resembles rock music in stereo, in atmos it's unfocused and rather annoying for more than one song, but I generally almost never prefer it for guitar music anyway.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

DR Peak RMS Filename
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR10 -0.83 dB -13.41 dB A1 Angry
DR10 -0.88 dB -13.06 dB A2 Get Close
DR10 -1.44 dB -13.68 dB A3 Depending On You
DR10 -1.01 dB -12.19 dB A4 Bite My Head Off
DR10 -0.69 dB -12.30 dB A5 Whole Wide World
DR11 -1.55 dB -15.44 dB A6 Dreamy Skies
DR11 -0.88 dB -13.37 dB B1 Mess It Up
DR11 -0.84 dB -13.11 dB B2 Live by the Sword
DR11 -0.55 dB -12.56 dB B3 Driving Me Too Hard
DR11 -2.63 dB -15.25 dB B4 Tell Me Straight
DR11 -0.82 dB -13.72 dB B5 Sweet Sounds of Heaven
DR9 -4.11 dB -16.22 dB B6 Rolling Stone Blues
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of files: 12
Official DR value: DR11

From 24/192 WAV files, without any edition (tags, cover). It seems a candidate to 24/96 FLAC (FLAC 0 - 1.4.3) or 24/48 FLAC.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

loudness war DR - Rolling Stones – Hackney Diamonds.png

STREAMING services are destroying recordings, which have been on the path of commercial FM radio for decades. And it is getting worse and worse.

Why spend a lot of money on audio equipment if we do not give it "good food"?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
STREAMING services are destroying recordings, which have been on the path of commercial FM radio for decades. And it is getting worse and worse.
It's also the CD version in there... This practice has been going on for decades, long before streaming ever existed, so don't blame them for the loudness war.

Anyway, we can just stream the Atmos version and have decent dynamics.

Skeeter

Hello,
The Rolling Stones are back with their 24th studio album “Hackney Diamonds”, 7 years after “Blue and Lonesome”, which was a covers album, and 18 years after “A Bigger Bang”, which consisted of original songs.
View attachment 320114

For this album, 3 versions are tested: Amazon Music UltraHD in 24 bits 96kHz, Tidal MAX flac in 24 bits 96 kHz and Tidal Dolby Atmos.
The waveform of the stereo versions is without comment, with significant use of dynamics compression (DR5) as shown in the curve below:
View attachment 320115
Tidal (or Amazon) Waveform

When you zoom in, as shown in the curve below, you can see that the dynamics compression is not clean and that there are small areas of clipping (red circles):
View attachment 320116
Zoom in the Tidal Waveform

If we compare with the Atmos version downmixed in stereo (curve below), we can see that the dynamic range has been preserved (DR12):
View attachment 320117
waveform : Tidal Atmos downmised in 2.0

The Dolby Atmos mix expands the front soundstage by making the most of the side channels in terms of spatialization.
View attachment 320118
Average spatialization (Atmos 7.1.4)

When you listen to it, on the one hand you have a high-resolution stereo version (24/96) that's rather in-your-face with the dynamics compression, unlike the Dolby Atmos version, which provides much more precision and dynamics, which is noticeable when you increase the volume, the Dolby Atmos version having more impact even in stereo downmix.

You can find the extracts to compare as well as all the measurements here.

Enjoy your listening.
Jean-François
Unbelievable that they allowed clipping in the 24/96 mix down.

That said, I’ve never been a fan of the Stones. YMMV.

maty

Major Contributor
It's also the CD version in there... This practice has been going on for decades, long before streaming ever existed, so don't blame them for the loudness war.

Anyway, we can just stream the Atmos version and have decent dynamics.

Why do you think that almost everything I listen to is vinyl and its rips? Also SACD, CD and web downloads but the least (from years ago). But this is other story.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
this is really not acceptable anymore ... either you buy the 60 euro blu-ray edition , rip it yourself to make a stereo down-mix to get a good Stereo version of this release or you buy the rather overpriced LP at 37 euro.

Normally I expect something like this to be available at the Qobuz download store , sublime subscription about 10 euro.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
this is really not acceptable anymore
It wasn’t acceptable 20 years ago, it’s not acceptable now… what are we going to do about it?

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
in case of the stones we had at least the US and Japanese SACDs that where (at that time at least) fairly priced.
but im not going to spend 60 euro on a bluray to make my own version of something that should be available on CD and streaming services.

the Japanese version with the bonus track is another gimmick edition.. 63 euro + shipping + VAT and the bonus track is not even on the bluray.

Mulder

Forum Donor
As has been pointed out before in this forum and elsewhere, comparing vinyl releases and digital releases in terms of the crest factor is pointless. The crest factor is only really meaningful when comparing different digital versions, and even then it is not guaranteed to give accurate information about dynamics. In this case of Hackney Diamonds, I'm pretty sure they basically used the same master for both the digital and analog vinyl releases.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is not entirely impossible that the L and R channels of the downmix are also clipped but the addition of the other channels just makes it appear as though the newly created stereo signal has better dynamics and is not clipped.

MCH

Major Contributor
I was gonna mention that as well. Let it Bleed is, by and large, remarkably fine sounding in those DSD remasters of... when was it? The late '90s? Turn of the century?
Come to think of it, I have Beggars Banquet on SACD that I picked up somewhere... I've actually never even listened to it! :eek:
:facepalm:
neither did I, and i own both, and some others, but i don't even know how to play them. I asked here once and iirc the response was not very encouraging.

Mulder

Forum Donor
The Stones' records up to and including Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out have been reissued many years ago on CD by London Recordings. These sound very good. Better than all later remastered versions. All the records the Stones made after they broke with DECCA have in my opinion sounded much worse in terms of audio quality. Their masterpiece, Exile on Main Street, sounds almost like an amateur recording by today's standards.

maty

Major Contributor
As has been pointed out before in this forum and elsewhere, comparing vinyl releases and digital releases in terms of the crest factor is pointless. The crest factor is only really meaningful when comparing different digital versions, and even then it is not guaranteed to give accurate information about dynamics. In this case of Hackney Diamonds, I'm pretty sure they basically used the same master for both the digital and analog vinyl releases.

Rolling Stones – Hackney Diamonds CD.png

Rolling Stones – Hackney Diamonds Vinyl.png

The master must be the same. The problem is later when it adapts to each support. If things were done right there would be hardly any sound differences, especially with these reduced DR and this kind of "noisy" music.

Top Bottom