• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Overrated:HD800 to me,a constant headache.
No amount of EQ fixed it,either recommended or not.
Thin sounding and strident no matter what.

Underrated:Sony MD something,nice,natural,fatigue free and great with classical.

I own none,my daily's are LCD-X and my ancient orthodynamics which have the nicest mids in the multiverse (ok,I'm sentimental about them,I own them 40 years,don't judge :p )

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it the Tripowin zombur you have? I see Tripowin make several different cables, but Zombur costs about $9.
Yes, indeed. I bought the one called Zonie first but did not like if for a reason I do not recall ( think it kept disconnecting) and ordered the Zombur afterwards which is what I am using and happy with at the moment.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, indeed. I bought the one called Zonie first but did not like if for a reason I do not recall ( think it kept disconnecting) and ordered the Zombur afterwards which is what I am using and happy with at the moment.
I tried ie200 today with third part earplugs (SednaEarfit) and it completely altered the sound. Now. with a proper seal, they sound quite nice. They have a somewhat similar soundsignature as my Sennheiser Momentum 3. The treble seems to be a bit recessed compared to the Zero:red i Own. The bass on the other hand seems to be more pronounced. Overall a slightly warmer sound but maybe less detailed. I would not say it is better than Zero:Red. Just different. Comparing the price, and the fact that ie200 needs a new cable and ear-tips, it is in my opinion not underrated compared to Zero:Red. One could even argue that ie200 is overpriced in comparison. But. when seal is fixed, ie200 definitively are a good sounding iem. Not neautral, slightly colored I think, but as peoples hearing differ, ie200 can be preferred to Zero:Red if the high frequencies of the later is perceived as too intrusive or sharp.

IXOYE

Underrated : Beyerdynamic DT-1770 PRO with Oratory Preset EQ, very fun and engaged headphone with great bass.

spede

Overrated: ZMF Aoelus it's been couple years, they were more expensive back then and i paid ~1100€ for used model. Really wanted to like Aoelus but the imaging was so hazy that i could not get over it specially for the price.

Underrated :Hifiman HE500, not sure if this is "underrated" but paid bit over 300€ for used model and damn how good they sound out of the box.
Had Arya V1 at that time but somehow it started staying in drawer and HE500 was on my head all the time.

IXOYE

Overrated: ZMF Aoelus it's been couple years, they were more expensive back then and i paid ~1100€ for used model. Really wanted to like Aoelus but the imaging was so hazy that i could not get over it specially for the price.
Aeolus was not my cup of tea either, great looking wooden cups and very comfortable,, but the sound was mediocre at best.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Overrated in my opinion are the Sony MDR Series and that includes all of them @ less than ~$500 @ the time. I compared them to the several comparable AKG models that I had available @ the time and also to the ~$1200 Koss electro stats that I had on hand and the Sony where midrange focused and it was too much midrange for my ears. The AKG where the best of them all but the Koss electro stats where better than all the Sony MDR Series stuff but not as smooth and comfortable as the AKGs. I own Sennheiser at this time although I would spend money on a AKG too.

pk500

This is a tough one and subjective as hell (isn't everything in our perception of sound?), but here goes:

OVERRATED
-- Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and M50x. I've seen these cans recommended by many as an introduction to audiophile headphones. Well, anyone who makes that recommendation must really hate you, as both of these cans are TERRIBLE. V-shaped as hell, with bloomy bass, scooped mids and hot, crispy treble. Also the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn.
-- Philips SHP9500. Another entry-level can that's recommended as a first open-back. No. Just no. No bass, all treble. Incredibly loose fit, even for big heads like mine. The imaging is solid -- the only thing going for this godawful headphone.
-- Sennheiser 560s. Recommended by many as an entry-level paragon of neutrality. The treble peak is anything but neutral. I know it probably hits me in just the wrong spot and doesn't bother others. But the other problem with this headphone is its lack of colorization other than the treble peak. I'm sure they're fine for mixing and see people praise them to the ionosphere for gaming, but they're just boring as hell for music.
-- Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. Bought these. Sold them within two weeks. Blunted treble, hard to drive, pads that roll on themselves and excessive cabin pressure due to a tight seal were killers for me. Did not like these at all and don't understand the hype or the price.

UNDERRATED
-- Meze 99 Classics. I can see the eyes rolling now. Hear me out. The 99 Classics might be the ideal gateway drug into audiophile headphones for those accustomed to consumer wireless signatures from Bose, Sony, Sennheiser and Beats. In fact, I call the 99 Classics "Beats in a tuxedo." Tons of bass, but OK mids and surprising resolution in the treble. Plus they're easy as hell to drive -- straight from a phone -- and are well built and beautiful. You could give a novice audiophile coming from Best Buy over-ear wireless cans much worse advice than to drop $300 on 99 Classics or $200 on 99 Neo.
-- HiFiMan HE-400se. This is one of the best values in all of audiophilia. A superb entry-level, open-back planar. Brilliant at nothing, solid at everything. And an insane value at $110ish.
-- AFUL MagicOne. My daily driver IEM right now. Such a unique tuning -- with only one balanced armature driver -- amid a sea of me-too Harman-tuned IEM releases every week. Lovely tone and timbre. Much more of an emphasis on musicality and cohesion that microscopic detail. Just a joy to listen to for extended periods. I got them for $110 with a coupon at Amazon. HiFiGo is selling them for $99 now as part of the March sale. A total steal. Love 'em.
-- Focal Stellia. The best headphone I've heard, period. And since it's been on the market for about five years or longer, it no longer gets the same kind of respect as the past as a TOTL closed-back can. The Stellia did nothing wrong during my testing. Didn't want to remove them. I liked them even better than the original Utopia and a hell of a lot more than the HD800S (yes, I know those are open back).

I wanted to put the Focal Elegia and Audeze LCD-X 2021 into the overrated class but couldn't do it. I owned and enjoyed both -- with EQ. Without EQ, the mids' tuning for both is so f*cked up that I can't imagine listening to them without extensive parametric EQ fixes. But both are pretty nice (Elegia) or lovely (LCD-X 2021) with EQ.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course perception is also individual and depends on many parameters, but saying for example the M50x have hot treble and recommending the 99 Classics shows a very individual perception:
(I have owned both in the past, the first production year 99 Classics wasn't as bad as it had smaller earcups and less bloated bass)

pk500

Of course perception is also individual and depends on many parameters, but saying for example the M50x have hot treble and recommending the 99 Classics shows a very individual perception:
(I have owned both in the past, the first production year 99 Classics wasn't as bad as it had smaller earcups and less bloated bass)
An individual, subjective perception from an individual posting in a thread about "overrated" and "underrated" -- who would have thought?

I trust my ears and brain more than any graph, thanks, especially since I OWNED the headphones in question.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An individual, subjective perception from an individual posting in a thread about "overrated" and "underrated" -- who would have thought?

I trust my ears and brain more than any graph, thanks, especially since I OWNED the headphones in question.
As I wrote above I had owned them too and my listening impressions generally correlate much more with their measurements thus I therefore trust measurements a lot more than individual writings of people in the internet who put a lot of trust in their ears, maybe I am just lucky? ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Overrated and underrated is just in the eyes of the beholder/user so there is no right or wrong. Just opinions formed by individuals.

The recent talk from Dr. Olive made it perfectly clear there is no 'single' target for headphones but a substantial range in which preference may fall depending on many factors.
Measurements should just be seen as a guideline.
When measurements coincide with how one hears it one is indeed kind of lucky in that one can rely a bit more on measurements.
That said... to compare headphones equal circumstances are needed and a target is useful to compare the measurements to.
A single type of fixture is not even needed (required). It just means that one can only compare headphone measurements between the same fixture(s)/circumstances and not between different fixtures.

It is also clear that fixtures (and standards) differ from real heads/ears and brains are involved to.

So what person A likes, person B may not.
This is regardless of certain measurements.

In the end, no matter how one twists and turns this personal circumstances and taste/preference determine what one likes (nothing as personal as a headphone) and prefers and the reasons they have for assesing a certain value to it.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think it is your individual taste or perspective that is being questioned here. I mean, I can understand why someone might dislike ATH-M50X. And I can understand why someone might like Meze-99 Classic. But I also find it very confusing how can someone dislike M50X because it has bloated bass and lacking mids yet think Meze-99 is the " audiophile gateway" while Meze-99 is the quintessential example off bloated, unbalanced bass with non-existant mids or treble. To me, its like saying I don't like big cars, but I think Hummers are great.

pk500

As I wrote above I had owned them too and my listening impressions generally correlate much more with their measurements thus I therefore trust measurements a lot more than individual writings of people in the internet who put a lot of trust in their ears, maybe I am just lucky? ;)
Well, hot damn: If the measurements match your ears, then you must be right and I'm an idiot. Case closed.

Your ears and brain are the final, and ultimate, arbiter of any sound. This is a subjective thread. I don't think your opinions are wrong -- because they're subjective impressions. You can think about mine as you like.

Last edited:

pk500

I don't think it is your individual taste or perspective that is being questioned here. I mean, I can understand why someone might dislike ATH-M50X. And I can understand why someone might like Meze-99 Classic. But I also find it very confusing how can someone dislike M50X because it has bloated bass and lacking mids yet think Meze-99 is the " audiophile gateway" while Meze-99 is the quintessential example off bloated, unbalanced bass with non-existant mids or treble. To me, its like saying I don't like big cars, but I think Hummers are great.
I think you're tying yourself into a Gordian knot. You're not questioning my taste or perspective, but then you proceed to tell me how my taste or perspective confuses you. So, you are questioning -- in a tacit, polite way.

The Meze 99 Classics is a gateway to audiophilia for many for the exact reasons I stated: It has a similar sound signature to many TWS over-ear cans sold at places like Best Buy, Target, Walmart and other mass-market retailers in the U.S., with big bass that bleeds into mids. It also is very attractive and very well built. Easy to drive.

All of those aspects make it a more attractive proposition for new audiophiles than either Audio-Technica model in question, mainly due to the comfort and build quality and emphasis on bass. None of these models sound great to an audiophile, but it's a familiar signature for those coming from consumer-oriented TWS cans. Another negative to the A-T cans is how the sound compresses into a wall of mush in busy passages of complex music. If you listen primarily to vocals, acoustic or jazz, you might not notice that. As someone who likes rock and some progressive rock, it's very noticeable to me.

How many times have you put a true audiophile headphone on someone used to Beats, Sony, Sennheiser or Bose over-ear wireless cans, and one of the first things they say is, "Where's the bass?" It's happened to me more than once.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you're tying yourself into a Gordian knot. You're not questioning my taste or perspective, but then you proceed to tell me how my taste or perspective confuses you. So, you are questioning -- in a tacit, polite way.
Its your reasoning that does not make sense.

The Meze 99 Classics is a gateway to audiophilia for many for the exact reasons I stated: It has a similar sound signature to many TWS over-ear cans sold at places like Best Buy, Target, Walmart and other mass-market retailers in the U.S., with big bass that bleeds into mids. It also is very attractive and very well built. Easy to drive.

All of those aspects make it a more attractive proposition for new audiophiles than either Audio-Technica model in question, mainly due to the comfort and build quality and emphasis on bass. None of these models sound great to an audiophile, but it's a familiar signature for those coming from consumer-oriented TWS cans. Another negative to the A-T cans is how the sound compresses into a wall of mush in busy passages of complex music. If you listen primarily to vocals, acoustic or jazz, you might not notice that. As someone who likes rock and some progressive rock, it's very noticeable to me.

How many times have you put a true audiophile headphone on someone used to Beats, Sony, Sennheiser or Bose over-ear wireless cans, and one of the first things they say is, "Where's the bass?" It's happened to me more than once.
That makes no sense to me. I want to say it is a generation thing maybe, but honestly I don't buy that either. I think you might be projecting your personal experience as a consumer trend. People who buy their headphones from Wallmart for $39 suddenly being interested in audio hobby by buying $300 headphone from an obscure Romanian brand as a consumer trend? Very unlikely in my opinion. If anything, I think most people would probably would try a known, well established brand first most likely, like Sony, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic or even Audio Technica . That, is my experience.

pk500

Its your reasoning that does not make sense.

That makes no sense to me. I want to say it is a generation thing maybe, but honestly I don't buy that either. I think you might be projecting your personal experience as a consumer trend. People who buy their headphones from Wallmart for $39 suddenly being interested in audio hobby by buying $300 headphone from an obscure Romanian brand as a consumer trend? Very unlikely in my opinion. If anything, I think most people would probably would try a known, well established brand first most likely, like Sony, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic or even Audio Technica . That, is my experience.
Your extrapolation of my reasoning does not make sense. From my original post:

"You could give a novice audiophile coming from Best Buy over-ear wireless cans much worse advice than to drop $300 on 99 Classics or $200 on 99 Neo."

Nowhere in my original post did I say Best Buy headphone owners would find Meze or that it was a consumer trend. What I did say above is that the 99 Classics would be a good suggestion as a transition into audiophile headphones and brands for those consumers because the 99 Classics' sound signature doesn't depart that significantly from that of big-box consumer wireless headphones.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, hot damn: If the measurements match your ears, then you must be right and I'm an idiot. Case closed.

Your ears and brain are the final, and ultimate, arbiter of any sound. This is a subjective thread. I don't think your opinions are wrong -- because they're subjective impressions. You can think about mine as you like.
I know it doesn't make sense to discuss with people who trust so much their ears and not measurements, so my comments showing the contradictions are for other readers with difference experiences and opinions.

People who buy their headphones from Wallmart for $39 suddenly being interested in audio hobby by buying $300 headphone from an obscure Romanian brand as a consumer trend? Very unlikely in my opinion. If anything, I think most people would probably would try a known, well established brand first most likely, like Sony, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic or even Audio Technica . That, is my experience.
Typical audiophiles usually don't like mainstream brands and models but prefer some more unknown "individual" brands which make them stand out from the "grey mass of sheeps".

MbphotoX

Most overrated headphones I ever tried?
For me, clearly the Sennheiser HD600...

The hype is immense (go on Reddit, lol) and I had high hopes.
But I was incredibly disappointed by how bland and boring they sound. No sparkle, no punch.. just lame.

of course, this is all subjective and tastes differ and all that.. But I was never more disappointed by something so hyped up as those headphones.

spede

Most overrated headphones I ever tried?
For me, clearly the Sennheiser HD600...

The hype is immense (go on Reddit, lol) and I had high hopes.
But I was incredibly disappointed by how bland and boring they sound. No sparkle, no punch.. just lame.

of course, this is all subjective and tastes differ and all that.. But I was never more disappointed by something so hyped up as those headphones.
I hear you... Had quite similiar revelation with HD600

- Very cramped soundstage and i mean it
- Driver smeared fine detail, this was really weird suprise and never faced problem with HD650 (HD6XX)
- Bass light and when rising volume got shouty rather quick

Top Bottom