• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

Bleib

Major Contributor
I bought the Zero Red and use them without any EQ. I think they are nice. Overrated you say. What IEM do you prefer?
You didn't ask me, but I prefer Moondrop LAN

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excellent point. Even with shallow insert IEMs the insertion varies on an individual basis and a coupler simply is not aware of that. Secondly you can't put a price on secure fit and comfort. If you are lucky finding a $20 IEM that fits great then congrats, but I for one haven't.
Well, I have not encountered in practice that fit and seal quality would be correlated with price. In fact most of the more expensive IEMs I possess do fit worse. Think of the Monarch (which I luckily do not own), but even the Variations is quite big. Also the 7Hz Timeless and the Fiio FD5, don´t really fit very good.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Well, I have not encountered in practice that fit and seal quality would be correlated with price. In fact most of the more expensive IEMs I possess do fit worse. Think of the Monarch (which I luckily do not own), but even the Variations is quite big. Also the 7Hz Timeless and the Fiio FD5, don´t really fit very good.
I can't comment on the sets you mention, because I'm not interested in them. Correct me If I'm wrong, you are trying to prove a point by talking about sets that are notorious for fit issues, and that happen to be priced over $20. You don't have any hands on experience with any of these sets.

I've owned some 15 different sets below $50, only in the higher end of the budget range do I find sets that fit me well.

RoA

Over rated; Focal Utopia
(latest edition) with Naim Atom Headphone Edition amplifier. Together approx £7000. Sounds like; £800. Looks like; £3000

Under rated; Meze Liric
(on I can't remember amplification from £300 to £2500). Together from £2300 to £4500. Sounds like; £2300 to £3000. Looks like £2300 to £3000

Both listened to extensively at the Bristol show with my own music selection.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Overrated: any headphones costing $400 USD and above and IEMs costing more than $25 USD

You don’t get better objective sonic performance above $20 IEM. What you get is a different emphasis on narrow peaks that make a listener perceive detail/resolution/slam/dynamics but all those details are already present with SOTA $20 IEMs but are more balanced throughout the frequency range
Isn't the Susvara more than $400?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the Susvara more than $400?

Yes and I personally think it's overrated just like any headphones above $400. The diminishing return is exponentially high, but I'm not targeting price/performance rather the sonic presentation that headphone is the reason why I own it. Objectively, it's worse performing than a $20 IEM and as such I would never recommend the Susvara ever unless one knows adamantly the kind of sonic presentation they wanted and are completely decided with it

Read my post here for better context: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-susvara-headphone-review.50705/post-1851673

MacClintock

I can't comment on the sets you mention, because I'm not interested in them. Correct me If I'm wrong, you are trying to prove a point by talking about sets that are notorious for fit issues, and that happen to be priced over $20. You don't have any hands on experience with any of these sets.
So I do correct you because you are wrong. I own the 7Hz Timeless, the Fiio FD5 and the Moondrop Variations, retailing for US$ 200, 250 and 520 respectively. None of them fits me as good as the US$ 20 7Hz Salnotes Zero 2.
I've owned some 15 different sets below $50, only in the higher end of the budget range do I find sets that fit me well.
Well, bad for you, but this is either purely imagined or not related to anything material. Where do you get this from that more expensive IEMs should be more comfortable?

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Well, bad for you, but this is either purely imagined or not related to anything material. Where do you get this from that more expensice IEMs should be more comfortable?
I read elsewhere in your post history that you use some $20 aftermarket tips(very premium) with your $20 IEMs, was the fit not good with the stock tips? With all costs included there's not much sunken cost to speak of in my case. Can't be that bad for me, but if it makes you feel better then congrats on your $20 set working for you.

$20 sets generally have have shallower fit and smaller shells, objectively that contributes to reduced fit security for many people. Your conviction that it's not material stands against my hands-on experience with 15 sets in the relevant price range, so empirical knowledge leaves me no choice but to dismiss your point.

Last edited:

MacClintock

I read elsewhere in your post history that you use some $20 aftermarket tips(very premium) with your $20 IEMs, was the fit not good with the stock tips? With all costs included there's not much sunken cost to speak of in my case. Can't be that bad for me, but if it makes you feel better then congrats on your $20 set working for you.

$20 sets generally have have shallower fit and smaller shells, objectively that contributes to reduced fit security for many people. Your conviction that it's not material stands against my hands-on experience with 15 sets in the relevant price range, so empirical knowledge leaves me no choice but to dismiss your point.
Yes, you are completly right, the extra cost of making larger IEMs is enormous. I, by the way, have more than 20 IEMs, for that matter, and had even more, which I sold, so apparently more experience than you. The Truthear Zero:Red is about $50 and has no shallow fit at all. I think you are just stating random, untrue things. The Azla tips are $10 and I am using those for another IEM, so you did not even read carefully.

InfiniteJester

Overrated: FH9. Great IEMs, but too expensive. Most expensive IEMs are overrated in my opinion. I love them, particularly for their soundstage, but I wouldn't buy them again. They also weight too much for my taste, and my ears get fatigued after a while because of that. Their tunning is, nonetheless, in my opinion, almost perfect. Luckily, they are not a case of experimental tunning for the sake of justifying their price. They are a little bassy, but that can be easily corrected.

FH9-Green.jpg

Underrated: HD599. They sound decent and they can be powered by any dongle easily. Every time that someone with no knowledge of headphones tries the ones in my collection, HD599 gets the most praise. I think that they are very laid-back and suit the average Joe better than headphones with more resolution, which are sometimes found as overwhelming or flashy by the uninitiated. Crinacle's EQ improves their sound substantially, the Sennheiser's veil gets lifted, while retaining, or even potentiating, their laid-back presentation. If you can get them on sale (<100$), they are a good item to gift to someone who is into music, but it is not an audiophile. They have a decent soundstage, at least compared to other Senns, nothing stellar, but serviceable, and are very good for movies, particularly with Dolby effects. They sound more thick and warm than cold and resolutive and are a good fit for old and analogically produced music.

Fairlyrated: K702. They are famous for their soundstage and they shine at this regard. I particularly enjoy them. I disagree with the users in this thread calling K7XX under or overrated. I think that you get exactly what they tell you: expansive soundstage, low distortion, a shy bass and some elevated highs. EQ makes them way better while retaining the holographic presentation.

HE400se. Exactly the same as with K702. If you ignore the extreme, and, in my opinion, misguided, claims made by a minority of users: i.e., that they are the best under 1000$ or that they are terrible; you get a really good description of their worth. They are very decent for their price. Perfectly serviceable. A well-rounded pair that needs EQ, but that won't offend any sane person. Rtings EQ enhances their clarity and presence and allow them to punch a little above their price. They present your music with reasonable accuracy and without issues. Their soundstage is a little weird. Almost infinite on the sides, but shallow elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
IE200 has been praised quite a bit here in the thread. I had the opportunity the other day to borrow and test the ie200. After listening to them, I wonder why these are held up as underrated. Lousy fit, thin base and thin cable with bad connectors. I think Zero:Red, which is the only one I have to compare it to, is considerably better. Maybe the ie200 has a softer treble and a slightly warmer tone, but the sound is thin and disengaged. Above all, the bass is lousy.

DEALUX

I actually don’t know what “plasticky” does mean as sound is concerned, but maybe you just forgot to use EQ? They come to life fully with it and the soundstage I by no means experience as gimmicky, but simply as the best I have heard on any headphone so far.
Artificial timbre. I used many EQ profiles and they still kinda sounded like shit. Plus they're not designed to make bass. A bass shelf doesn't give you more bass impact on a headphone that leaks (probably intentionally).

The highs just sounded shit all around. Strings, vocals, you name it, nothing sounded right. Too distant and hazy hence the "plasticky" description.

Edit: The imaging thing is 100% a gimmick. They don't even sound that precise with basically a nonexistent center image. I don't think people who like it know what proper imaging sounds like.

MacClintock

Artificial timbre. I used many EQ profiles and they still kinda sounded like shit. Plus they're not designed to make bass. A bass shelf doesn't give you more bass impact on a headphone that leaks (probably intentionally).

The highs just sounded shit all around. Strings, vocals, you name it, nothing sounded right. Too distant and hazy hence the "plasticky" description.

Edit: The imaging thing is 100% a gimmick. They don't even sound that precise with basically a nonexistent center image. I don't think people who like it know what proper imaging sounds like.
Well, I have the HD 800 as well and with EQ they sound marvelous. Maybe you don’t get a proper seal? EQed to Harman, or even a higher bass shelf, they have very good bass impact and the timbre is impeccable. And I also know what imaging is and enjoy it very much on them.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IE200 has been praised quite a bit here in the thread. I had the opportunity the other day to borrow and test the ie200. After listening to them, I wonder why these are held up as underrated. Lousy fit, thin base and thin cable with bad connectors. I think Zero:Red, which is the only one I have to compare it to, is considerably better. Maybe the ie200 has a softer treble and a slightly warmer tone, but the sound is thin and disengaged. Above all, the bass is lousy.
All that sounds like a non-ideal seal problem. Bass is the strong suit of IE200. They come with 6 pairs of tips, 3 sets of silicone and 3 foams. With foam tips especially, you can get a consistently good seal, and the bass is lovely.

1708445813000.png

Palladium

I'm not a headphones guy but the ATH-M50X was awfully muddy when I did a test listen in a store on the OG iPhone SE.

DEALUX

Well, I have the HD 800 as well and with EQ they sound marvelous. Maybe you don’t get a proper seal? EQed to Harman, or even a higher bass shelf, they have very good bass impact and the timbre is impeccable. And I also know what imaging is and enjoy it very much on them.
A stock HD600 absolutely trashes it for timbre. Things sound a lot clearer and more natural. I don't think I ever got them to sound like that with EQ. And no, they do not seal by design:

markanini

Major Contributor
Yes, you are completly right, the extra cost of making larger IEMs is enormous. I, by the way, have more than 20 IEMs, for that matter, and had even more, which I sold, so apparently more experience than you. The Truthear Zero:Red is about $50 and has no shallow fit at all. I think you are just stating random, untrue things. The Azla tips are $10 and I am using those for another IEM, so you did not even read carefully.
I wont address the statements which I didn't make. Because if I do, for instance, point out I didn't say 0:Red fit is shallow. On the contrary 0:Red is my best fitting set, absolutely worth $55! And you've owned 10-15 less IEMs than me. Notice how boring the discussion gets?

If you can count to a scales of tens of thousands like in IEM manufacturing, price differences do in fact become enormous. The price difference for the end consumer is directionally closer to nothing, in comparison. It's no surprise then why ultra budget sets have a shallower fit, and smaller shells, leading to a floaty fit, which means unstable FR. Manufacturers choose how cost are cut in order to reach a target price, and the vast majority are trying to make a profit.

This is no less true than the fact that $1000 CIEM with 20 drivers aren't required for high playback quality.

The moral of the story is go ahead and get the $50 set if you want. If it's for your own enjoyment there's no point to arbitrary price targets. Gift the $20 set to a friend instead.

Mulder

Forum Donor
All that sounds like a non-ideal seal problem. Bass is the strong suit of IE200. They come with 6 pairs of tips, 3 sets of silicone and 3 foams. With foam tips especially, you can get a consistently good seal, and the bass is lovely.

View attachment 351055
Yes, it is a problem with the seal, which in it’s turn is a problem with poor fit. At least to my ears. None of the tips are usable. The bad seal also make them hopeless in anything else than an quiet environment. It is possible that the ie200 has the potential to sound good, but ergonomically they are not good. Not for me at least. Maybe if the tips were better. I also think the cable feels flimsy and cheap.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is a problem with the seal, which in it’s turn is a problem with poor fit. At least to my ears. None of the tips are usable. The bad seal also make them hopeless in anything else than an quiet environment. It is possible that the ie200 has the potential to sound good, but ergonomically they are not good. Not for me at least. Maybe if the tips were better. I also think the cable feels flimsy and cheap.
Cable is indeed flimsy. And short. I got this Tripowin cable for $9 and it works like a charm.

I think one can say a lot about the IE series. I never thought ergonomically not good would be one of them, especially given the competition is mostly resin monstrosities. But there you go, it is impossible to create an audio product that everyone likes, if you ever needed proof.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Cable is indeed flimsy. And short. I got this Tripowin cable for $9 and it works like a charm.

I think one can say a lot about the IE series. I never thought ergonomically not good would be one of them, especially given the competition is mostly resin monstrosities. But there you go, it is impossible to create an audio product that everyone likes, if you ever needed proof.
Is it the Tripowin zombur you have? I see Tripowin make several different cables, but Zombur costs about $9.

Top Bottom