• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The impossible decision of buying an AVR/AVP!

GalZohar

With both Audyssey and Dirac you must set the target curve to something appropriate for you room, and/or limit the EQ range to low frequencies only, otherwise you can't expect very good results with either.
Some comparisons were done on these forums and little actual measurable proof was found regarding the supposed superiority of Dirac over Audyssey.

From an interface point of view, Audyssey is more cumbersome to use if you want to create the same target curve you would have created with Dirac, but the cumbersomeness of Audyssey can be mostly solved with the 200$ PC app. With the 20$ android/apple app (instead of the 200$ PC app) you can do mostly the same things, but could be very annoying to use if you want to re-calibrate often or experiment frequently with different target curves.

My own experience with Audyssey XT32 on a 2013 AVR - was disappointing - the system sounded best with manual EQ and Audyssey turned off.
Dirac on a 2021 AVR was NOT disappointing - it immediately sounded better than the previous AVR setup (note: I also tested them in pure Direct, and they both sounded identical that way)

Having said that - the main issue was in the midrange, with the older AVR's imposing a midrange "dip" - which on the current Denon/Marantz models can be turned off via the smartphone app.

It is possible that the two systems are a match now... but on the base default setups - and as per my own listening experiences, yes Dirac is audibly superior... and I would place it on the 25%+ level - it was immediately noticeable that sounds were clearer - better seperated from each other, more distinct.
I'm not sure what's Dirac's default target curve? But if it's anything half-decent, that could account for the advantage over Audyssey. Different target curves would pretty much always sound different, even within he same EQ system. I wouldn't judge a system by it's "out of the box" performance if you intended to perform any of the rather necessary tweaking, which mostly include setting up an appropriate target curve.

Ngpaw

We learn the hard way sometimes. Just had my marantz sr7012 die on me. There is only 15 authorized repair places in the good old USA . I paid ship
Cost of repair 4-500 if that’s the only problem.
And like ML said above. And most important. Have fun and enjoy!!
I now need a new receiver and someone set me straight
My ears aren’t the best. ( have tinnitus. Be careful out there )
I’m not rich Sooooo he said get
Yamaha. 5 YEAR WARRANTY. FREE SHIP SEND YOU THE LABELS
meets the needs in more than just one way

Ngpaw

And it’s free ship back and forth. If repair is ever needed

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon:

4700 if you need Auro3D (you do)
6700 if you need front wide
8500 if you're fancy-pants
In these discussions, there are many other features that are not often talked about.

When going from the X3000 to X4000 series, you get a much better remote, 2-line display with expanded info, flip-down front panel w/HDMI (I use this often for REW and playing Dolby Atmos demos from a laptop), Zone 3 preouts, a 2nd trigger input, Auro3D, analog --> HDMI conversion, custom 2 CH main zone settings, AL32 Processing, and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (but not Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC) to be enabled with DTS Virtual:X as well as using Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume with IMAX Enhanced DTS:X.

evert

Next generation Denon (X3800H) seem to support both Dirac and Auro3d.

evert

Attachments

• 299532129_2283630738459059_7983595954084728243_n.jpg
    299532129_2283630738459059_7983595954084728243_n.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 173

delta76

Major Contributor
Saw this photo on fb a couple of days ago. I call fake. Nothing official from Denon and there is even retail box?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an old Denon, the AVR-X3400H. Serves me very well. To me the most compelling thing about Audyssey is Dynamic EQ. I consider it mandatory for any Audio system. I will not buy an AVR , actually any system without it. It is IMHO a game changer.
Dirac could be as good as it gets. Its calibration is for a given SPL; if there is not a way for the settings to vary with respect to SPL, you cannot get the best from your system at different, various listening levels. Fletcher Munson curves are facts. Not opinions or preferences, they're hard baked in the way Humans hear. Calibration should change automatically with Volume level. Strangely, it seems only Audyssey provides such. The Audyssey MultiEQ PC App goes further and allows you to fine-tune the degree of compensation of Dynamic EQ.

Not wishing for Dirac on the new Denon (or any other) AVR. Unless Dirac develops a DEQ equivalent.

Peace.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kostas

Man, If I actually buy the 3700H and the 3800H comes out after a couple of months with dirac and Auro 3d I will get really mad:confused:

I will try contacting denon to ask them whether there are any plans to release new models this year... I know it's a long shot but you never know!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Silly commenting on a photo with no official release info... nevertheless it shows 9.4 receiver specs and 11.4 processing... Could Denon finally be going to 4 subs? If there is any truth to any of this, it could be a big step for consumers 4 subs, dirac and the possibility of dlbc with Denon stability/features.

Rjpcardoso

I do hope Denon doesn’t release just yet as I have just pulled the trigger on a 8500ha. I can see however Denon at a discounted price, which maybe it’s a signal they are trying to sell the current stock.. i am replacing an old tag mclaren av192 (which doesn’t support hdmi and hd formats), looking forward to see if there is any improvment

database

I have an old Denon, the AVR-X3400H. Serves me very well. To me the most compelling thing about Audyssey is Dynamic EQ. I consider it mandatory for any Audio system. I will not buy an AVR , actually any system without it. It is IMHO a game changer.
Dirac could be as good as it gets. Its calibration is for a given SPL; if there is not a way for the settings to vary with respect to SPL, you cannot get the best from your system at different, various listening levels. Fletcher Munson curves are facts. Not opinions or preferences, they're hard baked in the way Humans hear. Calibration should change automatically with Volume level. Strangely, it seems only Audyssey provides such. The Audyssey MultiEQ PC App goes further and allows you to fine-tune the degree of compensation of Dynamic EQ.

Not wishing for Dirac on the new Denon (or any other) AVR. Unless Dirac develops a DEQ equivalent.

Peace.
Dirac doesn't need to develop a DEQ equivalent - that feature is unrelated to room correction. Some processors support a separate equal loudness control already, like the HTP-1, so there's at least one processor with both Dirac and equal loudness. Too bad there's no supply to buy any HTP-1s now.

DEQ seemed like a poor implementation of a good idea when I last tried it - especially since the boosting of satellites couldn't be toggled separately from the boosting of bass, not sure if that ever changed.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac doesn't need to develop a DEQ equivalent - that feature is unrelated to room correction. Some processors support a separate equal loudness control already, like the HTP-1, so there's at least one processor with both Dirac and equal loudness. Too bad there's no supply to buy any HTP-1s now.

DEQ seemed like a poor implementation of a good idea when I last tried it - especially since the boosting of satellites couldn't be toggled separately from the boosting of bass, not sure if that ever changed.
Surround boost with DEQ has not changed. It is still there.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah they need to fix it, but it's easily adjusted in speaker levels so mostly a non-issue. Unfortunately because it's easily adjusted, Audyssey declines to spend time fixing it. So it's one annoyance we have to live with.

NikolasA

I have been in the same search for a long painful time waiting through all the glitches and kinks… wish I had jumped on the htp-1 wagon when I could… oh well.

I was shopping around for a 3700 as a stop gap to use as pre and I was told (maybe slipped) from a reputable shop in holland that the new receivers are a couple weeks out. Keep in mind this past week has been vacation time for all. Usually there are the normal non disclosures in place to prevent early leaks. I have been researching daily any info on the 3800 and was happy to see the pic posted above. I hope it’s true.. I decided I’ve waited this long why not wait a couple more weeks….

Top Bottom