• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The "audio reference" idea and/or music reproduction, what is your opinion?

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK, where to begin. First off, no musical instrument I know of is a speaker. So, right out the gate, our reproduction system is not the real instrument and does not scatter or project the sound waves as the real instrument.

Despite this probably first fundamental fact, folks on audio forums are all about the absolute sound, or the sound of the original live event, as their reference for their music system. They some how insist that their two channel speaker system needs constant upgrading or change outs of gear until they “finally” reach this goal. I suppose that because they don’t understand the technical reasons that stereo can create the appearance of depth they somehow feel that stereo is “supposed” to replicate the live event.

Well, it’s impossible with two channel stereo anyway, yet they persist….

There are other two channel audio recording techniques that can deliver a more realistic form of the original event (lots of patented ideas) and binaural for example, but none of those systems have ever been adopted (I lament about binaural, its time is certainly now with the heavy use of headphones)

To keep this brief, I will just copy some stuff I have said before, and also what Tim has said before:

The recording is not under our control. It is tweaked from every standpoint, if you think not, even if you just choose to use two mics, you got to choose where to place them don't you?

We are forced to accept the recoding as the master and mix engineers best guess of what they think you will like to hear.

Of course we wish our stereos sounded as close to live as possible. None of you say your system sounds live. So, we can only get someone elses idea of what the recording is going to sound like.

When you play back, if your goal is not to amplify that recording to its highest fidelity, then don't look on in disdain when folks use tone controls and equalizers and what not at home to make their system sound good to them, because if you believe your system should add to the recording in any way, you are not at high fidelity, you are at high choice of tone controls.

I bet anyones system here can reproduce instruments and we can identify what they are, that's pretty much a given. After that, IMO, its the ability of a system to clearly bring you all that is in the recording, as to do otherwise is to color all sound with your preferential brush (hey, not complaining about anyones preference here!).

So, just what does a system do to a recording to make the recording be sounding like the original event, and not do that to every other recording that is played, ie color it all with the same brush. (again, not bad if that's your preference)

We can faithfully reproduce the recording (that is hi fidelity) or we can choose to contour the tone of the system to our choice, now how is that called making your system sound like the real thing? Again, we can only playback what is given to us on the recording, and man, visit a studio to find out how much processing has been done to stuff to try and make it sound MORE REAL to you in stereo!

TIM SAID:An old argument. I'll give my old answer: Live music is your reference? What artist? What instrument? What performance? What hall? Music is very rarely recorded in a manner that even attempts to replicate live sound, and for good reason: That doesn't work all that well. Even a small jazz quartet, playing live, in studio, or in concert, will typically be recorded with a half dozen or more microphones, at much closer proximity than any seat in any concert venue. The result, the recordings, are a thing unto themselves, but if you're going to compare them to live, they are much closer to live in your living room, a few feet away from you, all around you, than are to live in any venue you're likely to find. The good news is that these recordings, when well done, will reveal more detail than almost any seat in any house. The bad news is they'll never capture the true ambience of any house either. They're totally different experiences and in some ways, even through a modest system, playback of a recording can be better. In other ways it falls quite short.

When people say live music is their reference, I assume they are really referencing their memory of sound, mostly from other recordings and other systems, because most peoples' live listening experience doesn't include anything even remotely as intimate as a recording well done.

Tim

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a remarkable truism that is hard to adopt because doing so seems like a failure to deliver the "lay" version of what a hi-fi system is supposed to do. But adopt we must. It is just crazy to think that we can reach back before sound was recorded and imagine its characteristics as to replicate them here. I post this bit just on WBF from Dr. Toole:

i-crrrnpz.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
First off, no musical instrument I know of is a speaker.

No purely acoustic instrument is.

However:

Electric guitars and basses, the Fender Rhodes, the Hammond B3, among others, might be instruments that don't work very well without a speaker attached (I'll ignore the idea they can be run straight into the board, since there will still be a speaker involved), and I will hazard to say, that in the right hands, they are musical instruments.

fas42

Major Contributor
Tom, did I hear you calling perchance ... :p

You know the drill -- reproduction can deliver an amazingly convincing experience if the rig is good enough - irrespective of it being mono or stereo. The fact that 99.99% of systems aren't at a good enough level is simply because people don't try hard enough, and more to the point don't believe in it being possible :rolleyes:. Tone controls not necessary, nor any other kludges - just, sufficient competence of the full reproduction chain.

Recordings of live instruments will sound very different, because of the myriad ways of recording, as you say. But, the subjective experience will be of the "real thing" every time - just imagine sticking the same performer in a myriad different places, with a vast range of acoustics and position yourself at different distances from him - in no instance will he sound like a fake, some sort of cardboard replica ... and that's how it works ...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
When 90% of the music we hear comes through small, weedy speakers, and has been recorded in lowest common denominator quality, I find that live music catches me by surprise in terms of its dynamics and warmth. I would say that to get anywhere near it with a hi-fi system, we need clean reproduction at high power, time coherence, and speakers that have some not inconsiderable physical size. Given these, the result can be tremendous, with a continuous 'sound field' created entirely independent of the speakers - as long as you are sitting in the right place. The room's own acoustics then add a coherent ambience that works even when you move your head - masking the static nature of the recording i.e. fixed mic positions etc.

Most recordings will need to be made with more than one pair of mics, blending close-mic'ed instruments with 'ambience' - an artificial creation that balances the recorded static ambience with the listening room's real ambience, giving a subjectively believable result.

As long as the reproduction system is coherent, we are very tolerant of all this trickery, naturally 'deconvolving' the result back to the original instruments and registering the ambience as added colour. It works!

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Your system should hopefully reproduce instruments ( when they have been recorded with a intent to preserve its natural acoustic) in a realistic way.. That's it.

The rest is impossible as we never know what's been done to the source material, you can but hope for a realistic rendition of what ever your system is trying to reproduce, faithful to the recording itself but of course we never really know how 'correct' that is compared to the original event or indeed wether there was ever any intent to offer a 'real' acoustic .

If a double bass sounds pleasingly realistic , a drum kit sounds like a drum kit etc etc be happy.

There is no reference for the EDM I listen to..

Folk who wax on about their system being transparent and true to the recording or worse still the live event are basically just extending their own ego's , a kind of creative expression if you like with a large helping of fantasy....that's what sites like WBF are full of. Nothing wrong with that its a sort of self expression and can be cathartic and very enjoyable but one must remember the uneducated conclusions one draws from these imaginings are unreliable at best... Flights of fancy , sadly that's all the affirmation many need to start declaring truths :eek:

Humans :D

The end.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is a remarkable truism that is hard to adopt because doing so seems like a failure to deliver the "lay" version of what a hi-fi system is supposed to do. But adopt we must. It is just crazy to think that we can reach back before sound was recorded and imagine its characteristics as to replicate them here. I post this bit just on WBF from Dr. Toole:

i-crrrnpz.png
Thanks for that post Amir, it goes a long way to explaining a question that has been in my head for many years. Below is a rough draft of a statement that I read a long time ago, it came either from Paul W. Klipsch or J. Gordon Holt, I really can't remember any more.

"You walk out of your house and the neighbor down the street is practicing his electric guitar, drums, cello, whatever. Immediately your ears perk up and you just know that someone is playing live. No matter how good today's systems, none come close to fooling you in that way."

Though written 40 years or so back I have yet to hear a system that breaks that vision. To this day, using a just simple a electric or acoustic instrument that statement still holds true in my experience. I've heard systems that sounded "very real" when you are sitting in from of them but have never heard one that would fool you in that "Live or Memorex" moment when heard playing thru an open window.
The mind just knows! :confused:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thanks for that post Amir, it goes a long way to explaining a question that has been in my head for many years. Below is a rough draft of a statement that I read a long time ago, it came either from Paul W. Klipsch or J. Gordon Holt, I really can't remember any more.

"You walk out of your house and the neighbor down the street is practicing his electric guitar, drums, cello, whatever. Immediately your ears perk up and you just know that someone is playing live. No matter how good today's systems, none come close to fooling you in that way."

Though written 40 years or so back I have yet to hear a system that breaks that vision. To this day, using a just simple a electric or acoustic instrument that statement still holds true in my experience. I've heard systems that sounded "very real" when you are sitting in from of them but have never heard one that would fool you in that "Live or Memorex" moment when heard playing thru an open window.
The mind just knows! :confused:
I have to say, when I was breaking in my speakers ( now they r just broken lol ) I used to leave jazz records on all day. As I walked up the stairs when home from work I was often surprised by the realism of what I heard (out of the room)..

It was kinda like being in the toilets of your favourite jazz venue.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have to say, when I was breaking in my speakers ( now they r just broken lol ) I used to leave jazz records on all day. As I walked up the stairs when home from work I was often surprised by the realism of what I heard (out of the room)..
Pure expectation bias. :eek:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I don't think this has much bearing on what you hear at 'the sweet spot' while listening to your stereo.

In the case of the live performance as you are walking down the street, you are hearing multiple sound sources setting off resonances in the 'venue' and the street itself. If you recorded all the instruments/voices dry and reproduced them from their own speakers of about the right dimensions/dispersion in the same room, I think you would get the same effect - although another element might be dynamic 'movement' of the musicians themselves or people in the room.

But when it comes to reproducing everything from a smokey cellar to a cathedral in your living room, if you sit at the apex of a couple of stereo speakers you can do it pretty well. But there's no guarantee it will sound 'live' from outside that sweet spot - it isn't meant to work that way.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Forget the sweet spot and stereo altogether.
Put a single musician in a room and record him playing in mono. Then switch back and forth between live and a mono Memorex playback..
While standing down the street I believe the difference would be immediately obvious even to a layman.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Forget the sweet spot and stereo altogether.
Put a single musician in a room and record him playing in mono. Then switch back and forth between live and a mono Memorex playback..
While standing down the street I believe the difference would be immediately obvious even to a layman.
You seem to be saying that there is a supernatural element to it..? I don't think there is. All we would have to do is get close to recreating the live 'sound field'.

How precise would we need to be? Omnidirectional instruments would need omnidirectional-ish speakers of about the right dimensions, but something like the human voice would surely map pretty well onto a moderate-sized cone speaker in a box about the size of a human head..?

Ordinary recordings, of course, are not made this way. They are not 'dry', and they are routinely EQ'ed and compressed. Most audiophile systems are a bit feeble when it comes to power and frequency response (valve amps and little speakers on stands..?), so we don't have any direct experience of what this experiment would sound like. I would bet that it could be made to work.

And if anyone here has ever been accidentally 'fooled' when walking by a lucky combination of recording, system, room and open door, then it has already been demonstrated to be possible.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
When people talk about "live music" in this context, I can only assume that person is restricting the conversation to acoustical live music; classical music or other unamplified live music.

I listen to "live music" almost every week when my wife and I attend the Dallas Symphony. Most of the music is large scale symphonic music and operatic music. The reason for this bias against the small stuff is that the venue is very large and the sound quality is unbelievably awesome. I've never attended a performance and not thought about how different the experience can be from any home reproductions.

To me the biggest differences between live unamplified music and home reproductions are as follows:

1. Size of the "soundstage."
2. Elements of the "soundstage."
3. Clarity of the reverb tails.
4. Clarity of ultra low frequency harmonics.
5. The "feeling" of being there.

1&2. The size of the soundstage at a live concert varies depending on where you are sitting. But let's just say on average the size is way bigger in person than on a reproduction. Basically, I can hear instruments (especially the horns) in directions never known from any reproduction. For example, it's not uncommon to hear a snare drum or a horn from the top of the venue or from the side of the venue. This is counter-intuitive. Of course, it has to do with the reflections in the venue. But this is something which I doubt could ever be reproduced in a recording. It's also something which is totally unique for each listener because everyone sits in a different place relative to the musicians and the venue. For me, this is part of the "being there" feeling I get in number 5 above. But there's more to that.

3. In Dallas, the reverb is beyond words. The tails seem to go on and on with such beautiful clarity. It's simply not possible to reproduce that. I'm sure it's this way in many other large symphony halls. To me, multi-channel records "try" to reproduce these tails using the rear channels and it always falls short of the real thing. I listen carefully to the reverb at live events. What's strange is how little of it seems to be coming from behind me. To me, it appears as though 90% of the reverb or the room takes place in the space in front of me. This perception doesn't vary much with the seating. I think more work needs to be done to get the reverb of the venue right in the reproduction.

4. If you think the bass is correct in your room, just go to an organ concert or listen carefully to the sound of a large bass drum. Now compare that sound to the sound you hear in your room. You can get close to it, but you'll never get totally there. Live bass from a huge organ is a full body experience. This is probably a contributing factor to number 5. The bass fully penetrates my whole body. At super low frequencies it's almost as if I can count the sound pressure cycles. It's crazy!

5. This speaks for itself. If you blindfolded someone and put them in a symphony hall and then transported them in blindfolds to the worlds greatest system--whatever the fuck that is--the feeling of "being there" is something you just have to experience.

Michael.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I hire a few annoying humanoids to sit in my listening room rustling sweet wrappers and just generally being damn irritating and getting in my way..

This really helps with the 'being there' vibe.. Of course it's not REALLY like 'being there' as I'm missing the over priced drinks, the insane que for drinks and the line for the loo..

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Doesn't matter whether anybody who did the fiddling when stereo was being "invented" intended to it work some particular way - if the system works well enough then the 'real' illusion happens, every time. It's notoriously rare - the comments here as elsewhere point this out as clearly as the nose on ... . Also, we're in the NEH zone - not NIH - the Not Experienced Here syndrome ...

When it comes together, it does mean then sounding real from outside, through open windows, while walking upstairs ;), and, most importantly, while standing right in front of the speakers - the intensity hit in the latter is just like the real thing. Why this doesn't work for most systems is that the volume is too low - so, OK, wind it up a bit - and now it starts to sound a bit awful! You see, distortion, that thing that is supposed to be inaudible, and not so important, is really belting you over the head now, and it's bloody unpleasant! Solution? Wind back the volume - awww, it doesn't have any of the punch of live sound - geez, I guess it's impossible ... :rolleyes:.

Summary: go loud, without audible distortion - 99.99% of systems can't get this right, hence never deliver the live sound - it's a very straightforward "problem".

Well a few posts back you didn't notice extreme dynamic compression on a Youtube video, so maybe your threshold of disbelief suspension is a bit lower than mine..? You tell us that a modified portable TV can achieve the magic cloak of invisibility. Does this have the zero distortion, high output level that is required?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A live drums study...

http://viennatalk.mdw.ac.at/papers/Pap_01_63_Granzotto.pdf

ABSTRACT
This work presents the measurement results of two drum sets
(one for professional use and the other one for beginners use),
played by two different drummers, carried out in the Acoustics
Laboratory of the Department of Applied Physics of the
University of Padova (Italy). The sound power of these drum
sets has been evaluated in reverberation room, according to
the methods indicated in the ISO 3741 Standard. Six common
and simple drum patterns, with different rhythm speed have
been played (120 BPM and 60 BPM). Then, some
comparisons have been made between the whole sound power
level of the drum sets, and each single drum piece of the drum
set separately played. The relative third octave bands A weighted
spectrums of six grooves has been calculated in
order to calculate spectrum adaptation terms for predicting the
A-weighted sound pressure level in a receiving room.
According to the methods indicated in the ISO 140-3 Standard
[2], sound insulation has been measured using a drum set
instead of a omnidirectional source.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In light of the above, a while back I played Mario's Truthful Drums Recording at his calibrated level, and saw 116.9dBz.

I only let it go for a very few seconds as it sounded like somebody was beating the crap out of my speakers with a baseball bat or similar weapon, as they rather faithfully produced a "live" drum kit sound.

Because my amplifier's output exceed the power rating for the speakers, I thought it best not to press my luck.

OP
tomelex

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

It was kinda like being in the toilets of your favourite jazz venue.

I agree, that given a certain kind of ultra simple music, and you are down the hallway, it can be hard to decide if the music is real or not, but, that's because all the clues about the room and echos and reverbs and tails and stuff are pretty much wiped out when escaping out the door and down the hall, its about waves and sounds and attenuation and other big descriptive words.

Top Bottom