• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The $700 Amp/Speakers Challenge

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm. Any downside to controlling volume with the M500? Otherwise, I would be fine with that.
I can't see any downsides. That's how I'll be using mine once I get my new DAC. The knob on the A-100 wasn't really designed to be a primary volume control anyway, but it can be used that way if need be.

However, I don't currently use the line-outs on the A-100 to feed a subwoofer. My subwoofer is hooked up via speaker-level connections.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
So it appears the Onkyo A-9110 is either discontinued or out of stock for the foreseeable future. That said, I did realize my sub also has high-level speaker line inputs, so I can really go with any stereo amp and wire in parallel if I feel my speakers need it.

So that said, I would love any opinions on the following setup:

• Option 1: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Emotiva BasX A-100 ($229) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 2: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Emotiva BasX A-300 ($399, but may be discontinued) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 3: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Crown-XLS-1002 ($339) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 4: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Cambridge Audio AXA35 ($349) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 5: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Cambridge Audio AXA25 ($225) --> Kef Q150

My goals are as follows: the cleanest most musical nearfield low to mid volume listening for a desktop / bedroom setup.

As such I am leaning towards option 5. For the price, I think I prefer the Cambridge to the Emotiva based on reviews, and I think I can get away with the 25 watts (I hear Cambridge under measures and the Q150s are pretty easy to drive).

Ready to pull the trigger on this final component of the system, so would really appreciate any advice.

Willem

Major Contributor
Here I think the $700 limit is just a bit below that sweet spot.
Rethinking this, I concluded that something pretty decent can be had for quite a bit less. Wharfedale Diamond 220s now cost about 170 euros for a pair here (I recently bought a returned pair for rather less, but that does not count) and a Yamaha AS201 will cost about 190 euro. Unlike the more expensive Yamaha AS series amplifiers it does not have digital inputs, but at this level of ambition the internal DAC of a Chromecast Audio will be more than good enough. So with luck one could have the whole set for about 400 euros or $500.
I rather like the Diamond 220s, but as Amir also noted they are a bit bass light, so a subwoofer might help. However, since the AS201 does not have a subwoofer output, the sub will need to have a speaker level input and a sufficiently low crossover frequency like about 40 Hz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom