• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

The $700 Amp/Speakers Challenge

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
One more vote for actives. FAR and away the best bang-for-buck. Upgrading isn't an issue since any speakers that will significantly better the under $500 actives will cost many times more, so the loss of a few dollars of power amplification isn't significant.

It's 2019, not 1991.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
oh yeah i could look around for used stuff of course, but the challenge here is a new gear within the budget. :)

as far as the reason for passives, i just like them better, and might want to upgrade in the not too distant future.

the Andrew Jones towers and Onkyo receiver were a considered option of mine.

oh, and I'm not much of a bass head. but could add a sub later as well

I have a good DAC. And don't bother suggesting good cables. ;) lol
Okay you might want to upgrade in the not too distant future. However if powered speakers give better quality at lower price, you've got more money to upgrade in the future and experience better music between now and then.

I think in the particular price range and use scenario you describe it is one of the areas where the benefits of active speakers is the clearest.

Also, the cable suggestion earlier in the thread wasn't some tweako expensive cables. It was simply a clean convenient way to connect your DAC with RCA outs into the XLR inputs of a powered speaker.

Last edited:
One more vote for actives. FAR and away the best bang-for-buck. Upgrading isn't an issue since any speakers that will significantly better the under $500 actives will cost many times more, so the loss of a few dollars of power amplification isn't significant.

It's 2019, not 1991.
i'm sorta stuck in 1984 myself. lol. I still like a separate amp with a nice big volume knob and a few other buttons to push. Call me crazy! :D

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Not to mention arguably the closest to full range you're likely to get at the price considering the "2.0 only" aspect. Though I chose the 305's because I felt the midrange was better than on the 308's - and was willing to sacrifice a little bass to have it.
Yes, I agree with you. For his budget he could also get the 305's and a 310 woofer. Though I understand the OP said he didn't want a sub.

Somebody commented about not buying some decent cables... I agree as to not buying those crazy $ cables but getting some heavy gauge good cable is a must. Not el cheapo RCA cables, not a very low gauge speaker cable. You know what I mean = Decent cables. It doesn't cost that much for decent cables.

oh yeah I always get something a little better than the rca's that come bundled with the component and some slightly heavier gauge speaker cable...but I don't really think it makes a difference that I can hear.

D700

Patreon Donor
oh yeah I always get something a little better than the rca's that come bundled with the component and some slightly heavier gauge speaker cable...but I don't really think it makes a difference that I can hear.
Klipsch 6s are sweet if they talk you into actives, tons of fun, includes a DAC

It depends on of the amount of power and distance involved. Anyway, we all know that we need some decent cables, without falling in "the best cable's" trap.

yeah if I was running a hundred feet or something I'd want extra good stuff, but for 8 or 10 feet runs I don't worry much...
how much power do you run? a 100W RMS amp on a pair of 200w 8 ohm speakers ? just curious to know.

Last edited:
I've sold and installed some $$$ sound systems for 15 years ( B&O, Mission, Kef, etc. ) We've had plenty of rainy days to do some testing.
Heavier cable handle more bass, quickly and robust. More expensive cable handle both high and low frequency with grace.
No need for more than $40 worth of cable, RCA and all included, If you know where ...

I make my own RCA cables now, if need be. I still have plenty of 10 years old, Hi-Grade wires of all gauges... Perks of being an old salesman.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i haven't heard any passive speakers come close to Yamaha hs7 under 1k. These are very good. Very very good.
Next step above is eve sc205, these sound really really good as well. More airiness, smoothness and more dynamics.
In terms of why active speakers are wise. You don't have waste on passive crossovers. And you get individual amping for each driver. That's way more ideal than the configuration of amp+passive speakers.

JohnYang1997

If one is able to measure the distortion etc at the input of the driver after the crossover you will know how much degradation there is. I haven't done tests exactly like this. But I did test with headphones, test at the amplifier output and at the driver. The distortion is more than 10 fold at bass frequency. You can imagine what would happen with a passive crossover circuit.

i haven't heard any passive speakers come close to Yamaha hs7 under 1k. These are very good. Very very good.
Next step above is eve sc205, these sound really really good as well. More airiness, smoothness and more dynamics.
In terms of why active speakers are wise. You don't have waste on passive crossovers. And you get individual amping for each driver. That's way more ideal than the configuration of amp+passive speakers.
Class D amplifiers are getting better. If you don't worry too much about purity, the sound is fine. So, recent powered speakers are a good option.

I've had the fs-sp52s for several years now. I have not grown the least bit tired of them. I am listening to them right now and I literally listen to them every day. The thing is, you put them ON THE FLOOR (thus the FS). It is a very big deal to be able to just move and slide them around for optimal sound and imaging. I have powered speakers in other parts of the house. But around the fs-sp52s I have built an entire AV surround sound system. I have added or upgraded everything BUT the fs-sp52s. They have no flash. They just sound natural and let you forget about them. I would not want to upgrade from them because I would be concerned whatever I got would not be quite as good a fit for me. You put them on the FLOOR and MOVE them wherever you want. So they're a thousand speakers in one! Just slide them around ON THE FLOOR. And the sound changes!!!

Also the Onkyo TX-8020 has a sub out, if you want to take the $320 in pocket change and put it toward that. And you would put the sub and the speakers ON THE FLOOR. And move them around until you like the sound!

Are you gonna put your fancy powered speakers ON THE FLOOR and move them around until everything sounds JUST RIGHT? Are ya, you POWERED SPEAKER PUNKS?

I didn't think so! Nuff said. This conversation is OVER! :cool:

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
I've had the fs-sp52s for several years now. I have not grown the least bit tired of them. I am listening to them right now and I literally listen to them every day. The thing is, you put them ON THE FLOOR (thus the FS). It is a very big deal to be able to just move and slide them around for optimal sound and imaging. I have powered speakers in other parts of the house. But around the fs-sp52s I have built an entire surround sound system. I have added or upgraded everything BUT the fs-sp52s. They have no flash. They just sound natural and let you forget about them. I would not want to upgrade from them because I would be concerned whatever I got would not be quite as good a fit for me. You put them on the FLOOR and MOVE them wherever you want. So they're a thousand speakers in one! Just slide them around ON THE FLOOR. And the sound changes!!!

Also the Onkyo TX-8020 has a sub out, if you want to take the $320 in pocket change and put it toward that. And you would put the sub and the speakers ON THE FLOOR. And move them around until you like the sound!

Are you gonna put your fancy powered speakers ON THE FLOOR and move them around until everything sounds JUST RIGHT? Are ya, you POWERED SPEAKER PUNKS?

I didn't think so! Nuff said. This conversation is OVER! :cool:
I'll use something like this:
1562811754672.png

Or this:
1562811794456.png

For about $50, and not only move them around till everything sounds just right, I'll also adjust them to just the right height. You can do that with your floorstanders can't you punk? :)

JohnYang1997

Class D amplifiers are getting better. If you don't worry too much about purity, the sound is fine. So, recent powered speakers are a good option.
Hs7 uses lm3886 which is cleaner than most commercial amplifier. And the fact the two drivers are bi amped there is much more power. Sc205 is class d amped which to me doesn't matter as the end result is good.

so the volume control is on the back of each speaker? Back in the 80s, i owned a set of Acoustic Research powered partners. They sounded good, but adjusting the volume was a real pain.

JohnYang1997

so the volume control is on the back of each speaker? Back in the 80s, i owned a set of Acoustic Research powered partners. They sounded good, but adjusting the volume was a real pain.
yamaha hs7 yes they are in the back. I personally use them at 9 oclock and it's loud enough for me.
Eve sc205 has the volume control in the front. That's more convenient.