• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Test Equipment and Software?

ButtonPuncher

Hi Everyone,
Is there a specific place on this forum where people show what equipment and software that they use for testing? I want to be able to test amplifiers specifically.

I have a shelving unit of various sound reinforcement amplifiers, car stereo amps, and home stereo receivers. I want to see how my old Class AB car stereo amps compare to my new Class D amps as for a sound quality goes. For the home/pro audio gear, I want to check the equipment for noise and distortion.

I already have a decent Tascam 192kHz USB DAC/ADC. So I'm guessing that I can get started with that.
I also have non-inductive load resistors, a Rigol scope, and various DMMs.

I've read about the Multi-Instrument Pro software which isn't too terribly expensive.
What other options are there?

Thanks,
Ben

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi Everyone,
Is there a specific place on this forum where people show what equipment and software that they use for testing? I want to be able to test amplifiers specifically.

I have a shelving unit of various sound reinforcement amplifiers, car stereo amps, and home stereo receivers. I want to see how my old Class AB car stereo amps compare to my new Class D amps as for a sound quality goes. For the home/pro audio gear, I want to check the equipment for noise and distortion.

I already have a decent Tascam 192kHz USB DAC/ADC. So I'm guessing that I can get started with that.
I also have non-inductive load resistors, a Rigol scope, and various DMMs.

I've read about the Multi-Instrument Pro software which isn't too terribly expensive.
What other options are there?

Thanks,
Ben
As for software people usually use either of these free softwares

REW

Or

Multitone Analyzer

Both authors are also members here.

Yes start with your ADC to get familiar with the software and procedures.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
the magic smoke might get out quickly
LOL, I know, where did that come from? Baby dragon got in the box. Oops!

At least it's not human trials. NEXT! Don't be shy, have a seat. Don't let the
screaming distract your concentration. :cool:

OP
B

ButtonPuncher

Thanks for the input everyone! I haven't checked out REW in FOREVER. Yet another reason to get familiar with it.

I did see that other software that's in development. So cool to have the authors on the forum!

REW does most of what you need and is completely free.

For testing Class D Amps, you will also need a Class D filter (AUX-0025 or similar).

Ooof. $1,500 brick wall filter. This is just a hobby for me. Are there cheaper alternatives? I'm guessing a simple 30kHz RC filter isn't enough?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the input everyone! I haven't checked out REW in FOREVER. Yet another reason to get familiar with it.

I did see that other software that's in development. So cool to have the authors on the forum!

Ooof. $1,500 brick wall filter. This is just a hobby for me. Are there cheaper alternatives? I'm guessing a simple 30kHz RC filter isn't enough?
Please see this post.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Take a look at this thread:

Top Bottom