• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement Software for Amateurs and Hobbyist - Recommendations?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
After seeing a few other members (such as @Rja4000) reviewing gear, I got the bug and seems like it would be a fun project to get into. I obviously can't afford an AP unit, but I have an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R which seems to have an excellent AD section suited for this task. I have a bunch of gear I want to test at home and a few friends have shown interest as well.. so I was wondering if anyone can recommened any software (Mac, Linux, or Windows).

Some software that I am aware of:

Virtin Multi-Instrument Pro: Relatively cheap at $140 or so. Seems like it has some quirks and can be a pain to set up, but ultimately fairly versatile and accurate
APx500 Flex Audio Analyzer: Expensive at $3300(!!), but also has a yearly subscription version at $1000 a year(!).. seems to be the same software used in conjunction with AP hardware analyzers
Multitone: Free? Looks like it has a full feature set
Room EQ Wizard: I don't know anything about this one

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Some software I haven't used -

RMAA There is a free version and pro version that the website says is not available at the moment. I don't know the difference but I'm sure the pro version is affordable.

REW is free for personal use and although it's meant for acoustic measurements it can measure frequency response, distortion, and noise and I assume it can work with a direct-electrical connection.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say for starters Multitone, and REW. Both could use better how to information, but some of it you'll figure out and people will answer your questions. I wouldn't spend $3000+ until I was into this enough to see the justification. The RME you have can go a long way without being much of a bottleneck.

Further down the road, a Cosmos ADC and Scaler will get you pretty close to what is possible. There are threads here about the Cosmos ADC. The software writers, the Cosmos developer and even RME have members of this forum.

AdrenalinH

I am also interested in this topic. Do you know what software Ervin or Amir use?

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor

Neither really qualifies as hobbyist grade...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
REW is pretty much the best free software I'm aware of for audio measurement, unless you want to start doing manual analysis in Audacity or something. @GXAlan and @VintageFlanker also do measurements on their own, not sure what they use but I don't think it's the APx555?

Top Bottom