• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Test Amazon Echo Dot?

Robert R

Forum Donor
Given the prevalence of the Echo Dots, it would be great to see a review? I have both Gen 2 and Gen 3 versions I can send in of Amir is interested.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a hassle to test streaming devices as my analyzer doesn't talk to them directly. I can measure simple things like SINAD and Jitter though. Does Roon player support streaming to them? I don't want to use Android apps to talk to them as the pipeline is not clean there.

Reactions: wje

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
is a hassle to test streaming devices as

Your test of the LG G7 was extremely useful. Can you test like that?

Yet I suggest SINAD and jitter will be sufficient to give us comparison to Apple dongle, LG G7 etc. IMO, if they break 100, even 95, that would be great - indicating likely good enough for 16/44.1 via Amazon Music HD and other similar sources.. But if less, we will have quantified their limitations..

Your $10 Echo Input should be representative of the latest Dot. The Fire 7" tablet I sent would give a comparison to LG G7 standard DAC for DAP use...

garbulky

Major Contributor
I thought the Echo Dot's analog output sounded way better than it had a right to considering the price.

WesParker

The Echo Link has already been tested. It was at the bottom of the range you were hoping for. I'd be more interested in someone testing one of those HDMI to SPDIF splitters to see if the output is bit perfect. I don't know how they work, so maybe it's obvious that they are / are not. If they are bit perfect, then a Fire TV Stick into one of these with SPDIF output sounds far more appealing.

OP
R

Robert R

Forum Donor
The Echo Link has already been tested.
The implication being that the Echo Dot 3 would likely have the same DAC implementation and thus the same (or worse)? Fair point.

WesParker

I was probably trying to say that best case scenario is that it would meet the requirements. But, the Echo Link is 10x the cost of an Echo Dot, so I'd say it's optimistic that it would provide the same quality. I was mostly thread jacking to see if anyone knew about the HDMI/SPDIF splitters (sorry about that).

I'd prefer to get the digital output from a Fire TV (or any device that costs < $50) and let my system deal with that. I've looked into threads where people have hacked the Echo Dot in an attempt to grab the digital signal off of it before being converted to analog. Wasn't exactly a modification for the faint of heart.

WesParker

That's the one I read. For now, I'm using a 1st Gen Fire TV that has native optical SPDIF. It does the job for the most part, I just wish I could cast to it from my phone. As it stands, I have to turn my tv on and navigate through the Fire TV menus to launch music. The latest generation Fire TVs allow you to cast, but do not have the SPDIF. It's other limitation is only being able to output 16bit/48khz streams. I'm sure I can't hear the difference, but my biggest concern is that I'd rather the box not have to transcode the original stream from Amazon if I could avoid it. Probably another non-issue as far as my ability to discern the difference, but I have to be picky about something.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can find Amazon’s published specs for the echo dot line out at the bottom right of the below-linked page. I was curious about it so I looked it up some time ago. You can see that they spec the echo link devices as performing much, much better than the echo dot. In listening to see if it was “good enough,” for an audio hobbyist, i would say no—there’s a little too much beckground noise for an upstream source signal for my taste. Especially if you are going to use voice commands to attenuate the volume from max volume, and give up even more s/n ratio that way. So I would say it’s “not even good enough for Steve.” For a normal person, yeah, it’s fine. Rock out, or whatever. IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Link-Stream-stereo-system/dp/B0798DVZCY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Echo+dot+line+out+specifications&qid

Last edited:

mvillena65

I thought the Echo Dot's analog output sounded way better than it had a right to considering the price.
Sorry to revive an old thread. This confirmed my findings. Just for kicks, I switched my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770) from my MacBook Pro to the analog out of my 2nd gen Echo Dot. Source is Spotify Premium. Immediately noticed a cleaner signal. Wider soundstage and open. Faster transients. Couldn’t believe how good it is for what it is.

zelig

Forum Donor
I think the sound quality of the Echo devices across the board is woeful because of an almost complete absence of high frequencies. Even with treble at max and mid/bass at mins they still sound like they are under a pillow. I find it particularly frustrating when listening to audio books and news radio.

zacster

I bought my Echo Dot so that I could play music without having my phone tethered to my stereo. I think I used it for about 3 weeks before I moved on to something else because it sounded so poor. I believe next was running a long cable from my iMac and a student subscription to Tidal Masters, at which point I bought my first DAC, the Dragonfly Black. My Echo has been relegated to turning the lights on and off, the stereo, and the air conditioners. I just haven't found any other use for it. I don't ask questions to a discombobulated voice.

Mal

I think the sound quality of the Echo devices across the board is woeful because of an almost complete absence of high frequencies. Even with treble at max and mid/bass at mins they still sound like they are under a pillow. I find it particularly frustrating when listening to audio books and news radio.
Maybe that's why I like my Amazon Echo (4th gen) so much! No treble harshness, which I react very badly to. I just listen in the kitchen "out of the box", and like talk radio on it. Music also fine, at least while cooking! I must get around to a serious comparison with my "serious" speakers. It might shock me...

Top Bottom