• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Echo Link

RoyRoyRoy

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a used one from eBay for $125, as I listen to Amazon HD, and was using a first gen Echo Dot, with the Auxiliary out to a Sony STR-6800SD, with used Yamaha NS-BP200 bookshelf speakers.

Needless to say, the analog output of the Echo Dot was so weak, that I had to turn the volume way up, but when I listened to FM Radio on the Sony, I would have to always turn the volume down as it would be so loud!

With the Echo Link analog out ot my Sony, there is no longer a massive difference in audio volume, and I was able to add a subwoofer that was collecting dust (Energy ESW-C8) thanks to the Echo Link's subwoofer out. In addition, you can tell the echo dot that the preferred speaker is the Echo Link, so it never uses the internal speaker, as the Aux output is no longer used.

If you're like me, and listen to Amazon music to a vintage receiver, or really any receiver, and have an ancient Echo Dot, getting a used Echo Link is a nice upgrade to the Echo Dot's Aux output! I have ZERO tools for measurements, but it was very obvious that the quality is better with the Echo Link vs Echo Dot. If anyone wants me to try anything for them with the Echo Link, just let me know.

zeropoint

The Echo Link is currently on sale in the UK, discounted by 30% to £132.99, and together with an Echo Dot, is a convenient fuss-free way to access Amazon Music content.

It's just a shame, especially given the original price, it doesn't support better BT CODECs, and DLNA streaming. The first Echo I bought did initially support DLNA out-of-the-box, but shortly afterwards the feature was removed in a firmware update.

A basic bass/mid/treble EQ is provided too, use of which has tamed the seemingly accentuated upper range, rendering the need for an external DAC less pressing for now.

It has an extensive range of capabilities, including line-in/out, digital-in/out, Ethernet port, internet radio streaming, volume level LED ring around volume knob, etc., and even has a headphone amp, which I've not used, but hear (PTP) it's not great.

So, all-in-all, I'm well pleased with it, and would recommend it, although bearing in mind, I've little interest in hi-res material above 44.1kHz.

Contentedly listening through it now, to an Acoustic Alchemy playlist.

OP
R

RoyRoyRoy

Glad to hear you are using your Echo Link. It is weird that they restricted it to only use it as an "Echo" speaker only, and they are still using A2DP and not aptX for Bluetooth. I think they could only crap so much as they have the line in, and optical in, and opted for basic wireless connectivity.

If you really wanted better wireless connectivity, without spending a lot of money, you can get AptX bluetooth receiver like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming-Surround-Playtime/dp/B09MVNPZ59?th=1 or a DLNA receiver, although I haven't research for any. Finding both in an extra device can be costly and even more than the Echo Link itself, which makes no sense.

zeropoint

It is unfortunate that it just supports basic BT, but that's not crucial to me, and is true of other competitors, such as the WiiM mini and Pro, and at least it offers transmission, too, as of course does the Dot, et al.

I bought it a while ago, before the WiiM mini and before there existed many alternatives for streaming Amazon Music, otherwise I probably would've just bought the latter, instead. I now have both the WiiM mini and Pro, which do support DLNA - which is important to me - in addition to Alexa integration and other useful features including 10-band EQ. However, if I'd bought them first, I'd still be tempted at the current price (probably a response to the likes of WiiM) to buy an Echo Link. At the very least, it'd make a good minimalist chair-side voice controlled headphone listening system.

For my specific application of the Echo Link, I've addressed the deficiencies by - as you suggest - adding other adapter/receivers, namely an Ocean Digital DBA-03R, for DLNA, FM, DAB & DAB+, and a Lavaudio DS200Pro, for extra BT MP3, AAC, APTX, APTX-HD, APTX-LL, LDAC CODECs, both feeding optical digital to the Link via a remote controlled optical switch, with very good results. Yes, it's extra cost, albeit over a period, but the former only cost £44.99, and the latter £79.99 (though there are cheaper options.)

navin

I bought it a while ago, before the WiiM mini and before there existed many alternatives for streaming Amazon Music, otherwise I probably would've just bought the latter, instead. I now have both the WiiM mini and Pro, which do support DLNA - which is important to me - in addition to Alexa integration and other useful features including 10-band EQ. However, if I'd bought them first, I'd still be tempted at the current price (probably a response to the likes of WiiM) to buy an Echo Link. At the very least, it'd make a good minimalist chair-side voice controlled headphone listening system.

Hi Since you have experience with both (the Echo Link and Wiim Pro), I could use your help.

My application is to stream files from Spotify, Amazon, and Tidal as well as from a Synology DS120j NAS (via the Ethernet port). The files will be fed to a DAC via Coax (SPDIF). The output of the DAC will go to preamplifier, power amplifiers and speakers.

Would you recommend the Echo Link or WiiM Pro?
Do any of these come with an application (media player) that will recognise the files in the NAS and read these files? If not, could you recommend how I could stream files from the NAS to the Echo Link / Wiim Pro? Do I have to install any software? (I am an old audio nut long past his "best before" date and am only just now getting into digital audio).

Thanks.

zeropoint

You're not alone. I'm also an old(ish) audio nut quite probably "long past his "best before" date", too.

Of the options you mention, I'd recommend a WiiM, particularly since the Echo Link does not support UPnP/DLNA/SHAREs AFAIK, unless you enable a third party Alexa Skill, which might require an external account. Strangely, When I first bought an Echo 3rd gen, it did support DLNA, and I could stream to it with BubbleUPnP. However, this feature was subsequently quietly removed shortly afterwards with a formware update/downgrade. Annoying.

I've not seen any measurements specifically for the Echo Link (only the Echo Link Amp), however the WiiMs measure sufficiently well, at least in respect of digital output, and with the new Pro Plus, you might even consider using the internal DAC. I was considering buying a Pro+ mainly for it's improved ADC, but apparently the improvement is minimal, so I'll probably pass.

Also, the WiiMs offer additional features such as 10-band graphic EQ and likely soon a 4-band parametric EQ (the Echo Link has Bass/Mid/Treble EQ), and the WiiM development team seem active and committed to continued development of new/improved features. The WiiMs are proven capable of bit-perfect hi-res digital output, whereas the situation is less clear with the Echo Link, which is I believe AMHD compatible up to just 96K.

The Echo Link is good if you're invested in the Amazon Music (HD)/Alexa/Echo ecosystem - as I am - but not if you use UPnP/DLNA/SHAREs. For the latter, I added an Ocean Digital adaptor, which also provided support for DAB/DAB+/FM. The WiiMs are Alexa compatible too, so can mostly replace the Echo Link altogether, with a few exceptions such as nice big volume knob with neat concentric LED volume indication, and headphone amplifier, etc.

I don't use Tidal, but know it's supported by WiiM, and most streamers. WiiM and Echo support Spotify, again, as do most streamers, while the Spotify app on Windows/Android can detect and stream to, both.

Incidentally, I've since replaced the WiiMs and the Echo Link in their particular application, with a Denon HEOS CEOL RCD-N11DAB, with which surprisingly, I'm very impressed, despite it's predecessor not measuring too well. It sounds excellent with AMHD. Of course, I still use the WiiMs elsewhere in more demanding roles, and would recommend them over HEOS. However, HEOS (for example with the Denon HEOS Link HS2 Wireless Pre-Amplifier) also provides good support for DLNA and AMHD hi-res, and again controversially, the N11 sounds better in the specific application, than the others, bearing in mind that it replaced other components in the chain, too, although, of course, this could just be the dreaded confirmation bias psychological effect.

The WiiMs and Denon have an associated app - WiiM Home and HEOS respectively - Both of which provide access to files on NAS devices via UPnP/DLNA/SHAREs, etc. You can use the excellent BubbleUPnP mentioned earlier, too, as a DLNA controller/renderer/server.

So, the WiiMs are probably the best value/feature/performance proposition, but the HEOS, although more expensive, is worth considering, taking into account I've not seen test results for the HS2, either.

Hope this rather rushed response helps.

OP
R

RoyRoyRoy

@navin I would also echo what @zeropoint wrote. I have the Echo Link, and a Synology NAS and use DS Audio!

You cannot play music from your Synology NAS to your Amazon Echo. Synology DS Audio can only play to UPNP or AirPlay speakers, like the Denon Home 150 speaker or my Denon AVR-S660H receiver.. I would only choose the Echo if you are sticking with Amazon Music only.

The Wiim Pro can do Airplay and Chromecast, so you will have more versatility. And just like @zeropoint, I have a Denon AVR-S660H, and a Denon Home 150 Speaker. My eventual goal is to go full HEOS and replace my vintage amplifier and Echo Link with a Denon PMA-900HDE and just have fulll integration, and Airplay. The Denon can play Amazon Music just fine from it's HEOS app, which continues to get updates and improvements.

I like the idea of the Denon CEOL, but I have a Vinyl Player as well, and prefer to use my 5 disc CD player that is currently collecting dust. I also like the dual speakers as I want to run speakers outside. BUT, if I didn't have these extra requirements, the CEOL would be my top choice.

Top Bottom