• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tenet

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of a Raylon Givens line. "If you run into an as*h*le in the morning, you just ran into an as*h*le. If you run into as*h*les all day long, it probably means you are the as*h*le".

In other words if a ton of people complain about the dialogue in your last three big movies, you have a dialogue problem. Change what you are doing.

In the Freeport scene, where cheesy music drowns out the sales pitch of the Freeport agent it is obvious. The character doesn't care and it doesn't matter what the sales pitch is. He is there to case the joint for its various security pieces. Much of the film is badly mixed however.

I turned it up a little beyond reference level, and it made the crashing bits very loud and realistic while helping with the dialogue. My gear fortunately is up to that, but it is an assault on your ears for a long movie by the time you get to the end.

I've had the experience of recording music some of my friends do. I of course did it without compression. I could play it on my or anyone's really good system, turn it up loud enough and it sounded rather realistic. But every other person including the musicians complained. "I can't hear most of it when I listened to it in the car". So I didn't hyper compress it and crush the life out of it, but a certain amount of compression eliminated the complaints and everyone could happily listen in the car, via their ear buds or what have you. Nolan needs to listen to the complaints and alter his technique accordingly.

Oh, and I still think it was a pretty poor movie.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Reminds me of a Raylon Givens line. "If you run into an as*h*le in the morning, you just ran into an as*h*le. If you run into as*h*les all day long, it probably means you are the as*h*le".

In other words if a ton of people complain about the dialogue in your last three big movies, you have a dialogue problem. Change what you are doing.

In the Freeport scene, where cheesy music drowns out the sales pitch of the Freeport agent it is obvious. The character doesn't care and it doesn't matter what the sales pitch is. He is there to case the joint for its various security pieces. Much of the film is badly mixed however.

I turned it up a little beyond reference level, and it made the crashing bits very loud and realistic while helping with the dialogue. My gear fortunately is up to that, but it is an assault on your ears for a long movie by the time you get to the end.

I've had the experience of recording music some of my friends do. I of course did it without compression. I could play it on my or anyone's really good system, turn it up loud enough and it sounded rather realistic. But every other person including the musicians complained. "I can't hear most of it when I listened to it in the car". So I didn't hyper compress it and crush the life out of it, but a certain amount of compression eliminated the complaints and everyone could happily listen in the car, via their ear buds or what have you. Nolan needs to listen to the complaints and alter his technique accordingly.

Oh, and I still think it was a pretty poor movie.
I thought the movie had compelling action and direction and the editing was unusually confusing, which I've noticed with his movies. There was a scene where they were in an ambulance, I think, and Pattinson is told to get some sleep and then he starts to lay down and then it cuts instantly to where he is at least four hours later and he's sitting up on the stretcher, I guess having had a nap, but it didn't even have a shot in between or change angles. So I do consider the confusion to actually be a part of his style and point, however crazy that is. It goes along with the muddled sound design. Maybe it's meant to evoke the muddled minds of the characters who are experiencing the mindboggling time travel events they are involved with.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the movie had compelling action and direction and the editing was unusually confusing, which I've noticed with his movies. There was a scene where they were in an ambulance, I think, and Pattinson is told to get some sleep and then he starts to lay down and then it cuts instantly to where he is at least four hours later and he's sitting up on the stretcher, I guess having had a nap, but it didn't even have a shot in between or change angles. So I do consider the confusion to actually be a part of his style and point, however crazy that is. It goes along with the muddled sound design. Maybe it's meant to evoke the muddled minds of the characters who are experiencing the mindboggling time travel events they are involved with.

The characters seem to be perfectly at ease with the bewildering notion of time travel… Perhaps they’ve seen Nolan’s Memento many times so at ease with and quickly they accept Time travel or loops and are able to navigate through these… And what kind of chemistry between the Protagonist and teh vilain’s wife? Not much, if you were to ask me…
There are so many examples of things that don’t hold up in this movie … Let’s not make excuse for a person who can do so much better … that was a baaaaaaaad movie.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
The characters seem to be perfectly at ease with the bewildering notion of time travel… Perhaps they’ve seen Nolan’s Memento many times so at ease with and quickly they accept Time travel or loops and are able to navigate through these… And what kind of chemistry between the Protagonist and teh vilain’s wife? Not much, if you were to ask me…
There are so many examples of things that don’t hold up in this movie … Let’s not make excuse for a person who can do so much better … that was a baaaaaaaad movie.
It's a Hollywood movie. Of course it's bad.

Top Bottom