• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Temu Audio Interfaces

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think you guys know what Temu is

i was spammed with some various interfaces and i was curious enough to have a look

i mean many look the part and i'm surprised the chinese make so many of them

but they have to crap right? right?

but they have to crap right? right?
It's a gamble. They might be good copies of good interfaces.

...I don't buy from AliExpress, eBay, Alibaba, unknown 3rd-party Amazon suppliers-manufacturers, and I won't but from TEMU.

You can buy an interface or "little USB mixer" from a reputable manufacturer starting around $100, which is very reasonable, IMO. Probably a lot of them (most of them?) are made in China but I'd rather buy from a known manufacturer. Behringer seems to have a bad reputation for being "cheap and unreliable" but they sell a lot of stuff so you are more-likely to come-across complaints and that reputation may be underserved.

the story is that some western companies would invariably ask a Chinese OEM to dummy up an interface and they would collaborate to create the firmware... and then the factory would run two shifts to create the interface for the western company

But the chinese OEM would continue to run a 3rd shift... and flash their own chinese firmware and sell it on the local market, where the western company has no footprint.

They may also substitute wima and texas and nichicon parts for their Z grade China equivalents.

This stuff looks similar to western equipement but I cant seem to find a match.

At $50 or so could be a ok.

Cheap interfaces from established brands with actual published specs have enough pitfalls to offer as-is. (The best deals tend to have decent preamps with mediocre converters, otherwise you can pick between decent dynamic mic or condenser mic performance, occasionally neither.) Not sure I'd take my chances on untested products where the specs amount to being 24/192 capable. Unless you're in it for the lulz measurements and teardown.

I'd like to see inside, the boxes are kind of an uncanny valley focus-rite appearance.

For production and recording gear, I’ve always held the point of view that “measured quality” is totally irrelevant if you can achieve the sound you desire with a given device.

Many such cases of people using modern state of the art converters simply to run their signal thru a 1960s tube compressor….

Would I tour with a off-brand Chinese clone of a focusrite and depend on it to run my live plugin rack reliably? No….

Would I feel comfortable recording an album with one? Assuming it’s not ultra hifi-nerd jazz or classical? Absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom