• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

staticV3

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just thought I'd give it a quick test with an Amazon Fire 7 2019. I've installed foobar2000 on it and it sounds pretty decent. I am not sure if it's playing 24/96 as I don't have a display or way to inspect the data. However, engaging the 44100 resampler makes things sound a little different, which I appreciate maybe utterly visual bias but could also be a slightly off resampler on this android version of the program.

I'm pretty sure Foobar2000 on this same tablet worked with the Topping D10 DAC and showed the correct sample rate.

Battery life is terrible on this little tablet, which will be the main downer, but useable for a good quality sound few hours at least!
Use Hiby Music or USB Audio Player Pro if you want to send your audio files directly to the DAC without the Android audio pipeline in the way, akin to Wasapi exclusive or Asio on Windows.
In Hiby you first need to enable "Exclusive USB Audio Access".

IvanTheGreat

Has anyone here ever flashed the Sonata BHD firmware on the Sonata HD Pro? What are your opinions on it? It forces the Sonata HD Pro to stay in high-gain all the time and gives more volume steps.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone here ever flashed the Sonata BHD firmware on the Sonata HD Pro? What are your opinions on it? It forces the Sonata HD Pro to stay in high-gain all the time and gives more volume steps.

I remember that this has been discussed before. Search this thread and the HIDISZ S8 (same dongle) thread for BHD.

pionmw

Hi Amir, I have measured mine and I can confirm many results you obtained. Especially considering the IMD, Sonata seems to be very clean.
But, regarding the noise floor of Sonata HD Pro I have questions.
My instrument alone has -130dBu (ca -132dBV) noise floor.
The setup (very ad-hoc, not perfect connectors and cables) gave me -85dBu noise floor for Sonata output, and -91dBu for my laptop Realtek output (as reference, for comparison). So, for Noise concerns my crap laptop-Realtek wins against Sonata by a small but measurable margin (6dBu at 1KHz, 12dBu at 20Khz. However, for IMD concerns the Sonata wins hands down.
So, can you comment? Your measurements show -110dBrA to -130dBrA noise floor. But I do not understand your dBrA measurements using DSF input. Are my numbers equivalent to yours?
Could you share with me some of your reference test DSF samples? Thanks!

staticV3

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Amir, I have measured mine and I can confirm many results you obtained. Especially considering the IMD, Sonata seems to be very clean.
But, regarding the noise floor of Sonata HD Pro I have questions.
My instrument alone has -130dBu (ca -132dBV) noise floor.
The setup (very ad-hoc, not perfect connectors and cables) gave me -85dBu noise floor for Sonata output, and -91dBu for my laptop Realtek output (as reference, for comparison). So, for Noise concerns my crap laptop-Realtek wins against Sonata by a small but measurable margin (6dBu at 1KHz, 12dBu at 20Khz. However, for IMD concerns the Sonata wins hands down.
So, can you comment? Your measurements show -110dBrA to -130dBrA noise floor. But I do not understand your dBrA measurements using DSF input. Are my numbers equivalent to yours?
Could you share with me some of your reference test DSF samples? Thanks!
The noise floor you see in FFT graphs isn't real. Please look up FFT gain.
The only measurement in this review which shows actual noise is the Dynamic Range one.

pionmw

I did. This puzzles me.
My scope is 16bit, which probably explains the measurement noise floor of ca. -90dBu.
The problem is, that I see in my measurements the output of Sonata having noise floor at around or less than -85dBu.
Is this wrong to conclude that this noise floor belongs to analog output components of Sonata?
The digital dynamic is 24bit (reported 20bit effective and average, hence ca. -120dB dynamic range ), but if the noise floor level of analog output components in Sonata is -92dB (I added ca. 7dB to scale my dBu values to the 3dBFS input value for these dynamic tests): how can one measure -120dB analog dynamic numbers? Still a puzzle for me.

pionmw

I plan to build again the measurement setup with my LGV40 when it comes, and remeasure. The noise floor can potentially improve on battery. I will also be able to directly compare the V40 output to Sonata output.
I am also waiting for the proper adapters.
Amir: what was the output loading in your setup? 50Ohm, 300Ohm, higher?

Top Bottom