• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

Cirrus Incus

Seems weird.

You could try plugging the Ananda cable into the Sonata HD Pro, without the Anandas connected. Then once your computer or phone senses the Sonata HD Pro, it should definitely be in high gain mode, which would make things louder. Then plug the cable into the Anandas.
Tried that as well, thanks. It seems restarting and updating Windows 10 fixed it.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone know the db difference in gain between low and high gain on the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro?
Depends on how efficient the headphones are. In terms of dB 'volume' or loudness to the listener, a more or less efficient set of headphones will be louder or quieter or not even loud enough!

It's 1 volt vs 2 volt RMS, isn't it?

I just measured the difference in 'dB' and it's 6 dB on each channel between high and low gain modes into the same 1 M ohm input on ADC device.

Low gain: 1. Plug in 32 ohm headphones into TSHDPro. 2. Plug in TSHDPro into USB on PC 3. Play known sine wave file using Fb2k > WASPI no DSP into TSHDPro. 4. Stop playback. 5. Unplug headphones from TSHDPro, plug in cable to ADC. 6. Play Fb2k 7. Record output. Stop. Disconnect TSHDPro from USB. High gain: 1. Plug in trailing 3.5mm TRS extension (unterminated) into TSHDPro. 2. Plug in TSHDPro into USB on PC 3. Play known sine wave file using Fb2k > WASPI no DSP into TSHDPro. 4. Stop playback. 5. Plug TSHDPro trailing cable into ADC. 6. Play Fb2k 7. Record output.

Last edited:

Soumynon

I had to return it because every day I heard several crackling/popping noises that bothered me a lot. Would you have any other recommendation for my X2HR?

Thank you

Fulci

I had to return it because every day I heard several crackling/popping noises that bothered me a lot. Would you have any other recommendation for my X2HR?

Thank you
I use that combination and never had any issue.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you
Unfortunately, some PC builds and the Sonata HD Pro don't play nice together.

You might try iBasso DC03 or DC05. If the latter, be sure to install the latest firmware. As the early firmware had an SQ issue.

Soumynon

I use that combination and never had any issue.
It is weird because gaming the noise did never appear, just watching YouTube videos or streams, and randomly.

Unfortunately, some PC builds and the Sonata HD Pro don't play nice together.

You might try iBasso DC03 or DC05. If the latter, be sure to install the latest firmware. As the early firmware had an SQ issue.
Thank you for the recommendations! I was thinking about the Toping DX3Pro+ too, since It hasnt to be necessary a dongle.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It is weird because gaming the noise did never appear, just watching YouTube videos or streams, and randomly.
Not really weird. While gaming, the audio transmission to your DAC is never interruped.
When watching YouTube, every time you start a new video or press pause, the audio transmission to your DAC is cut off or resumed.
Different DACs handle these situations more or less graciously.

Edit:
Unless what you're saying is that the HD Pro would randomly pop or click while a video is playing, so without you doing anything.
In that case, I don't know what could cause it.

Soumynon

Not really weird. While gaming, the audio transmission to your DAC is never interruped.
When watching YouTube, every time you start a new video or press pause, the audio transmission to your DAC is cut off or resumed.
Different DACs handle these situations more or less graciously.

Edit:
Unless what you're saying is that the HD Pro would randomly pop or click while a video is playing, so without you doing anything.
In that case, I don't know what could cause it.
Yup, that's it, the pops happened while the video is playing. I have this splitter connected to my headphones (V-Moda BoomPro mic), I don't know if it could imply something. Thank you. =']

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you for the recommendations! I was thinking about the Toping DX3Pro+ too, since It hasnt to be necessary a dongle.

The DX3 Pro+ would be great. You then would have enough power to drive all but the very most difficult to drive headphones.

JayGould

I have this dongle and also own a Topping E30 DAC. Since the Sonata has a built-in amp, would I get any audible improvement by getting a dedicated amp like a JDS Atom and either combining it with my E30 or by running this dongle as a pure DAC?

I have a pair HD 650s, by the way (and they sound great with the Sonata alone).

Weebster

I have this dongle and also own a Topping E30 DAC. Since the Sonata has a built-in amp, would I get any audible improvement by getting a dedicated amp like a JDS Atom and either combining it with my E30 or by running this dongle as a pure DAC?

If you want more headroom, or if you want to EQ and boost the bass on the HD 650 you would notice a difference. If you are justing listening to some classical music before bed then you are fine. However, the Atom is a gem. I can't think of what else you could spend $100 on in audiophile circles and get more bang for your buck.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I sold my Topping D50S after getting the Sonata HD Pro. Couldn't hear the difference between the two with the Atom.

So yeah. You can use it as a DAC.

JayGould

I sold my Topping D50S after getting the Sonata HD Pro. Couldn't hear the difference between the two with the Atom.

So yeah. You can use it as a DAC.

Sounds good. I believe I can still return the E30 as I got it just a couple of weeks ago.

By the way, have you compared listening to the Sonata solo versus connected to the Atom? Does the Atom actually improve the sound quality?

Second question: How do you connect the Sonata to your Atom?

charleski

Major Contributor
Sounds good. I believe I can still return the E30 as I got it just a couple of weeks ago.

By the way, have you compared listening to the Sonata solo versus connected to the Atom? Does the Atom actually improve the sound quality?

A headphone amp allows you to deliver more power to your headphones and that's all it does. You will find various pundits eager to attribute magical qualities to an external amp with oodles of power, but this is just superstition.

You need enough power to drive your headphones loud enough, more power won't bring any benefit. To calculate how much power you need there's a calculator here. Inserting the sensitivity (104dB/V) and impedance (333ohms) of the HD650 shows that for an output of 110dB (which is really very loud) you need 12mW with 2V. The Temptotec can produce 2V and Amir's review showed it putting out 14mW into 300ohms.

It's unlikely you'd notice any difference with an external amp unless you want to drive the headphones to extreme levels. But it will provide the reassuring feeling of having spent more money. The Temptotec struggles with low-impedance headphones, which is where an extra amp can be useful.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have not directly compared them. But they are both easily arguable to be noise and distortion free within the range of human hearing. So where the Atom benefits is more power. Not better sound quality unless you need the additional power.

You have two ways you can plug into the Atom. RCA or 3.5mm.

Leiker535

Thank you
Bit late to the party but I'm having the same popping noises whenever something starts in windows. It is not all the time, but I hear it everyday; it seems to pan out exactly as @staticV3 stated.

I'm using it with a topping L30, and it can be really annoying, specially listening to voice messages in whatsapp web or telegram. Is there any workaround or firmware fix?

Inhuman

Anyone still have v3.0 firmware for it? Cannot find it on their website, it's weird!

Top Bottom