• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tell me again: Should I use the Optical or SPDIF interconnect?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have found that optical cables are fairly easy to damage.

Optical cables for TOSLINK are cheap plastic, ends are too exposed and readily damaged, and the connectors are junk. Oh, and the transceivers are usually the dirtiest cheapest things around -- they actually used to be half-decent but most of the new integrated solutions are lousy. Other than that... ;)

All in my completely biased and subjective opinion - Don

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fun to read stuff ... optic, cosmic, coax, cosmos, ...

Optical is best for long runs...5 meters plus.
And, coaxial "can" introduce hummingbirds (hum) if not well shielded.
But for short runs (less than 2 meters), get a digital coax cable (100 Ohms) and shielded to be on the safe side. A Composite video cable (yellow RCA connectors - 75 Ohms) would also do.

Me and some other audiophile friends have found that there is more "punch" ... authority, low foundations (bass), satisfying overall music listening flow from a digital coaxial connection over a standard digital optical one, slightly better mids, resolution? It's subtle but with practice you'd swear that you can hear. Or it's all in our imagination?

I've never measured, anyone?
Here is a TC Impact Twin interface feeding Jtest over toslink (blue) and coax (green). Pretty much an overlay. Pay no attention to the red graph as it was from a 3rd device. Would appear no difference in the two. Tact RCS2 Dac was the receiving DAC. So same clock on sending end and same device receiving. I forget, but I think the coax and toslink were both 6 ft. Didn't appear the method of connection makes much difference.

TCIT AP2 Vcoax Vtoslink.png

Here is a USB to SPDIF Musical Vlink converter feeding a DAC and recorded by a Focusrite Scarlett. Same clocks, but again the optical vs coax looks like an overlay.
Optical vlink vs coax.png

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Well, if we can or cannot hear the measurements, then it don't matter...either use coax or optical digital...whichever one costs less @ home depot, and fits our room decor, and that the cat and dog won't chew on. To feel secured is to get good connections. :)

* I agree; from those measurements above we can feel safe with either type.

Top Bottom