• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC or no DAC

JIELKADE

a question from a newbee in digital audio:
I have a very old Marantz CD player that has an analog RCA and coaxial spdif output and a DAB radio that has an analog RCA and optical spdif output.
My old Pioneer receiver only has analog inputs.
Can I expect a significant improvement in sound by adding a DAC between the sources and my receiver?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Experts say upgrade speakers first, if needed.
You can get the cheapest Topping DAC, used, to play with.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
DAB is always sound horrible no matter how clean your DAC, similar how HD Radio is. I don't know what kind of pioneer receiver you have but depending on what model it is, a newer amp could be a better upgrade then a DAC. I'm sure that Marantz CD player+ has a good DAC inside and I wouldn't worry about it.

From my limited knowledge about early CD players, a good chunk of them were 14-bit. Depending how old your hearing is, you might not notice.

Michael1977

a question from a newbee in digital audio:
I have a very old Marantz CD player that has an analog RCA and coaxial spdif output and a DAB radio that has an analog RCA and optical spdif output.
My old Pioneer receiver only has analog inputs.
Can I expect a significant improvement in sound by adding a DAC between the sources and my receiver?
You haven't mentioned what speakers you are using. Those may be the weakest link. However, assuming you have decent speakers, I would target that receiver. Getting a newer digital-capable receiver should offer you a lower noise floor, thereby taking advantage of the clean digital S/PDIF outputs.
A receiver with an in-built DAC will have a shorter path for the analog signal to travel before amplification. A set of 3' analog patch cables will act like massive antennas for noise prior to amplification and that is something an external DAC has exactly zero ability to improve.

Top Bottom