• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Telarc CD bass vs Vinyl

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor

kmanusa

Is this Firebird recording related to the one I linked?
No, I think it was this Telarc Firebird recording that he was referring to:

My01MDE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
After thinking about this more... They MIGHT have dynamically compressed the loudest bass for the digital version. IF that's the case, simply turning up the bass won't fix it because all of the bass would be turned-up.

Although CD has a wider dynamic range than vinyl, there is an absolute digital upper-limit of 0dBFS... You can't just keep making it louder to the point where the stylus jumps out of the groove. They would have had to make the rest of the recording quieter and they may not have wanted to make that compromise, so maybe they made a different compromise.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"I wash off the hatred of my enemies and the theft and anger of rich men" ... I rather like that

OP
C

cluster

After thinking about this more... They MIGHT have dynamically compressed the loudest bass for the digital version. IF that's the case, simply turning up the bass won't fix it because all of the bass would be turned-up.

Although CD has a wider dynamic range than vinyl, there is an absolute digital upper-limit of 0dBFS... You can't just keep making it louder to the point where the stylus jumps out of the groove. They would have had to make the rest of the recording quieter and they may not have wanted to make that compromise, so maybe they made a different compromise.
So if I understood you, there is the possibility that by keeping the music overall louder they had to compromise deep bass peaks? If you heard both versions would you be inclined to assume that this is the case in this example?

Top Bottom