• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Telarc CD bass vs Vinyl

cluster

I was checking this music on youtube and realized there were 2 versions, the CD and the Vinyl.

CD:

Vinyl:

When I listened to the Vinyl version the sub bass in the drum is way more present, I did a research (just to confirm it is just not an odd recording on youtube) and someone else was saying the same about the 2 versions, the Vinyl has indeed more power.

Does this happen often between CD and Vinyl or is the CD just mastered in a different way? What should be the "reference" version between the 2 versions?

staticV3

Master Contributor
CD and vinyl versions of the same song often contain different masters.

This website has tons of comparisons between different formats, highly recommended:

egellings

Major Contributor
The dreaded Telarc Bass Drum! The 'philes would sit in anticipation as the drum stoke approached, and then the stylus jumped the groove when that mallet hit the drum with a vengeance in the finale of the song. Boom! Clunk.

EdW

Well we know that the original master was digital. I looked on a UK on line store, Presto, and got some further info. on the recording
some of the recordings are early digital era so probably not 192k/24bit!
It would be interesting to compare the 1980s release of the CD to the more recent to see whether they are same. Quite possibly not. There is however negligible degradation in the audio quality when placing these tracks on a CD even from a 192/24 master -unless there has been a conscious decision to compress dynamic range (e.g. for the car stereo market)
The compromises are normally made when cutting the master disk for the vinyl. This is in order not to overdrive the low frequency grooves into each other and hence you get into the compromises of RIAA correction etc. Clearly the dynamics of vinyl are far worse, particularly in this youtube example of a rather well worn vinyl record with high levels of background noise. Does the presence of noise actually enhance the perception of the bass or is it as @egellings suggests in #3 the dreaded Telarc Bass Drum!

raindance

Major Contributor
In many cases CD bass is mastered in stereo while vinyl bass is mixed down to mono. This makes a difference to the apparent bass level. Additionally, cartridge/arm resonances plus preamp response can provide some bass boost that isn't in the recording.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's probably better to turn-up the bass on the digital version. ;) That's assuming there the bass is there it boost.

Vinyl has limitations the low-bass range whereas digital is flat to zero-Hz (DC).*

There's a possibility that your cartridge has a bump in the low frequencies, but it's unlikely to be that drastic. Variations in the higher frequencies are more common.

Digital is superior in every way (unless you like the "warm crackle" of vinyl or if you just like handling the vinyl. Vinyl can go higher into the ultrasonic, but you can't hear that either and digital is flatter through the audible range.

* You don't want DC on recordings because it's not audio and it can have bad side-effects

Reactions: EdW
OP
C

cluster

I have no clue:) I Just found it weird to see such a big difference between the 2 versions. I do know that an Orchestra Bass drum with the right tuning and play can indeed shake stuff around, but there are not many live recordings capturing this. Having said that, even the CD version will give a big shake to my walls.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well we know that the original master was digital. I looked on a UK on line store, Presto, and got some further info. on the recording
some of the recordings are early digital era so probably not 192k/24bit!
Early Telarc recordings were made on the Soundstream Digital Tape Recorder, which was 16bit with a 50KHz sample rate. Jack Renner, Telarc's recording engineer back then, was a believer in cables making audible differences in sound quality. He rewired his Neotek console and his monitor speakers (various ADS models over the years) with Monster Cable. Early on he was partial to Schoeps Collette microphones, which I liked, but later on he preferred Sennheisers, which I didn't care for as much, making his recordings too laid back, IMO. He and I actually exchanged letters on the topic of microphones, and he condescendingly responded that he would think about me every time he put up the Sennheisers. I still have his response in a box somewhere.

OP
C

cluster

By the way if someone can suggest some other impressive bass drums records, feel free to share, here is the recorded one that usually impresses me the most!:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Read more here:

courtesy Stereophile, September 2004. Article by Jonathan Scull.

1714428448421.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way if someone can suggest some other impressive bass drums records, feel free to share, here is the recorded one that usually impresses me the most!:

Nice drum. This one is great as well, but it's not classical music:

OP
C

cluster

Read more here:

courtesy Stereophile, September 2004. Article by Jonathan Scull.

View attachment 366749
Is this Firebird recording related to the one I linked?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never heard this type of drum/record is this acoustic ? It sounds amazing.
I think so, you might be able to see it in live recordings on youtube.

I heared a similar drum live at a concert of Mari Boine playing Gulan Du from the album Leahkastin (1994). The drummer played a big bass drum with sticks instead of a foot machine (the foot machine played a big rototom). It was the deepest bass I'd heared back then in my life.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Nice drum. This one is great as well, but it's not classical music:
Love this Group and this album. Just started discovering this genre and I’m hooked.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
What are they singing about?
I have no clue. I listen to a lot of opera and don’t know that either. You know funny thing. When I was younger and started liking Rock. I didn’t know what they were saying half the time either. :p

Top Bottom