• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teardown of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a follow up to my review of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp based on hypex NC252MP. The owner gave me kind permission to take the top off and show what is inside.

There were only four screws that held the lid on. Taking those out allowed ready access to inside of the amplifier (click on the image for larger image):

Teardown of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp.jpg

There is not a whole lot beyond the Hypex NC252MP. Focusing on that, I was disappointed once again to find low-tier Su'scon electrolytic capacitors in the switching power supply where they are likely to fail:

Teardown of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp Hypex NC252MP capacitor.jpg

Fortunately they are rated for 105 degree C (as opposed to 85) as it should be in this application.

The whole module is firmly screwed into the bottom of the thick case so power dissipation should be reasonable.

I checked the mains wiring next:
Teardown of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp mains wiring.jpg

Happy to see crimped butt connectors and proper grounding to the case which I confirmed using my multimeter.

Likewise, the soldering of the speaker terminals was fine:
Teardown of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp speaker connection.jpg

There were a few solder balls on the bottom of the case which would have been nice to have been cleaned/blown off.

Overall, this is well above what an average DIY person without substantial electronics assembly can do.

The close proximity of the XLR input connectors to the mains input is likely responsible for some of the bleed. Nothing could be done in a case this small though.

Overall, it is a fine assembly job.

Woody Stool

Not familiar with this design at all - so sorry, here comes the noob question: Why doesn't this thing have any heatsinks?

maty

Major Contributor
There is not a whole lot beyond the Hypex NC252MP. Focusing on that, I was disappointed once again to find low-tier Su'scon electrolytic capacitors in the switching power supply where they are likely to fail:

View attachment 33502

Fortunately they are rated for 105 degree C (as opposed to 85) as it should be in this application...

Talking about these caps, Manley, in the new tube preamp? uses a SMPS designed by Bruno Putzeys to them. 300 v and switched at 125 kHz. One year, three revisions and the product is:

Manley-SMPS-for-tubes-300v-125khz-Bruno-Putzeys-cut-youtube-40-minutes.jpg

Cheap Su'scon 105 ºC here too.

Hopefully the new SMPS he/they are designing for PURIFI 1ET400A have better big capacitors!!!

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
This is a follow up to my review of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp based on hypex NC252MP. The owner gave me kind permission to take the top off and show what is inside.

There were only four screws that held the lid on. Taking those out allowed ready access to inside of the amplifier (click on the image for larger image):

View attachment 33502

Fortunately they are rated for 105 degree C (as opposed to 85) as it should be in this application.

The whole module is firmly screwed into the bottom of the thick case so power dissipation should be reasonable.

I checked the mains wiring next:
View attachment 33503

Happy to see crimped butt connectors and proper grounding to the case which I confirmed using my multimeter.

Likewise, the soldering of the speaker terminals was fine:
View attachment 33504

There were a few solder balls on the bottom of the case which would have been nice to have been cleaned/blown off.

Overall, this is well above what an average DIY person without substantial electronics assembly can do.

The close proximity of the XLR input connectors to the mains input is likely responsible for some of the bleed. Nothing could be done in a case this small though.

Overall, it is a fine assembly job.

4 year old list but useful for older gear.

Capacitor ranking by brand.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
300 v and switched at 125 kHz.

Bear in mind, the primary high voltage filter capacitor is rectifying the incoming AC. The secondary capacitors (the smaller, lower voltage ones), are the ones seeing the high frequencies.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ideas where the 60Hz interference comes from this layout?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The example in the tear down looks a lot better built than the photos in the review thread. Small enclosures may be cute, but as pointed out by our host, can be the cause of mains interference. Low quality capacitors are a warning. It seems only small players are using the MP series of modules. Amplifiers built by ATI, NAD and Mola Mola are assembled with higher end components. However, I don't know if those Hypex boards are built with better capacitors.

It would be rather inconvenient for the board to fail out of warranty especially considering none of these manufacturers are in the US. [Nord claims to have a US repair center, probably an independent shop under contract.]

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The example in the tear down looks a lot better built than the photos in the review thread. Small enclosures may be cute, but as pointed out by our host, can be the cause of mains interference. Low quality capacitors are a warning. It seems only small players are using the MP series of modules. Amplifiers built by ATI, NAD and Mola Mola are assembled with higher end components. However, I don't know if those Hypex boards are built with better capacitors.

It would be rather inconvenient for the board to fail out of warranty especially considering none of these manufacturers are in the US. [Nord claims to have a US repair center, probably an independent shop under contract.]
Please forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to reduce interference by using metal screens/boxes around crucial components?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to reduce interference by using metal screens/boxes around crucial components?
I personally can't answer that question, but I have seen some gear built with metal dividers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't see any link to capacitor tests on the Tom's Hardware site - how did they arrive at the rankings?
It is probably some kind of consensus thing among people who repair gear and such.

For me, there is only one tier: Japanese brands and everything else. :)

Top Bottom