• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TEAC A-H01 vs. Macintosh

maurerc

Teac do not supply a USB driver for the A-H01 that can be installed in Catalina, and newer Macs lack TOSLINK ports. Does someone make a converter that will (1) convert from USB to TOSLINK or RCA digital, (2) work with Catalina, and (3) not degrade the sound?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
looks like the driver should just work fine, you just cannot install it via the installer.. Really lazy of Teac to not fix this. Anyway, the good news is that one can probably install it by hand. Somebody here might know a way to do that. Spdif to USB interfaces are quite rare, or do you need USB to SPDIF (I though the other way around because it is in the DAC section..)

Last edited:
OP
M

maurerc

Any suggestions for Big Sur, which won't handle kernel extensions--the form of Teac's driver--and which is required for M1 Macs?

koko

Any ideas here? As of now, it's not possible to use the TEAC AH-01 with any new Mac released after late 2018 (no support for Catalina onwards).

OP
M

maurerc

I recently ordered a new Mac and a Thunderbolt 3 dock from Caldigit with a TOSLINK output. In theory that ought to work.

koko

I'd really like to be able to use the USB interface. Without the Teac driver, audio works for a few seconds and then degrades into a bunch of static.... :(

cyberprimate

I'd really like to be able to use the USB interface. Without the Teac driver, audio works for a few seconds and then degrades into a bunch of static.... :(

I've just bought a Teac UD-H01 (similar to the A-H01) and I'm experiencing the same problem with Catalina. There's a Japanese blogger that's found a solution (in fact two) to the problem. But I'm not well versed in Terminal scripts (let alone Japanese language)…

https://blog.yukirii.dev/force-install-teac-a-h01-driver-on-macos-catalina/

And here's a google translation :
https://translate.google.com/transl...-install-teac-a-h01-driver-on-macos-catalina/

jpfelgueiras

I was able to install the driver on the latest macOS.
if anyone need I can write a simple guide. minimal terminal knowledge is needed.
don‘t know if it will work on a M1 Mac

terrymcfadd

I was able to install the driver on the latest macOS.
if anyone need I can write a simple guide. minimal terminal knowledge is needed.
don‘t know if it will work on a M1 Mac
I'd be very grateful if you could plonk out a simple "how to". I have just discovered, after upgrade, that my AH01 driver no longer loads. Many thanks in advance for all help!

Terry

Top Bottom