• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM One IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 102 64.6%

• Total voters

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Something is puzzling me...

The graphs show probably something about FR and "overall tonality".

I always found that IEM lack bass and sound "thinnier" than my regular over hear headphones.
Even though both are EQ'd to comply with HK OE or IE curve...
So they should sound more or less "close" to each others...

But to me, there is no way to compare the sound of an IEM and the sound of a headphone :-(
So compared to a Susvcara that measures really less impressive, I still think I'd go for the Susvara :)
Or any other headphone, maybe the new Aune AR5000 that is cheaper than the Susvara...

Personally, I just use IEM to make phone calls in my car...

Just personal thought, so if you disagree, just consider this for what it is : -)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But to me, there is no way to compare the sound of an IEM and the sound of a headphone :-(
So compared to a Susvcara that measures really less impressive, I still think I'd go for the Susvara :)
Or any other headphone, maybe the new Aune AR5000 that is cheaper than the Susvara...
IEMs definitely have much less impactful sub-bass but good ones still produce it. Whereas headphones like Susvara don't even bother.

PenguinMusic

IEMs definitely have much less impactful sub-bass but good ones still produce it. Whereas headphones like Susvara don't even bother.
Hi Amirm,

That is why I am puzzled.

Looking at the graphs, you get the impression that the IEM can produce the same sound over ear headphones would.

As I said (but maybe I am already close to deaf) I never found the "impact" (as you rightly used the word which is the one I was looking for) of IEM to be equivalent to good but even cheap headphones.

Hence the puzzling :)

Regards.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Hi Amirm,

That is why I am puzzled.

Looking at the graphs, you get the impression that the IEM can produce the same sound over ear headphones would.

As I said (but maybe I am already close to deaf) I never found the "impact" (as you rightly used the word which is the one I was looking for) of IEM to be equivalent to good but even cheap headphones.

Hence the puzzling :)

Regards.
You have to make sure you get a good seal with IEMs - I find myself needing a deeper fitting ear tip to get a good seal with some iems ( depending on their shape)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is also the tactile feedback in that region. Clearly no headphone can give you the vibrations in your stomach that a sub can. By the same token, a headphone pressurizing your ear can give you more of that sensation than an IEM.

virtua

Do you think there's any sound difference between the one with a mic or no mic? Same price.
IEM cables with mics tend to have a higher resistance, but it's impossible for it to affect this IEM's FR because this IEM has a flat impedance curve.

PenguinMusic

You have to make sure you get a good seal with IEMs - I find myself needing a deeper fitting ear tip to get a good seal with some iems ( depending on their shape)

Hi,

Ah... That explains it all then :-(
I think I never dug those IEM's deep enough in my ears to have a perfectly closed seal.

Why am I not doing that ?
Simple... Becvause if I do I hear all my "own internal noises" :-(
Like breathing or having my stomach growl... I think I hear that all.
But I guess those are not included in the measures :-( Because they're probably not "musical" enough :)

Anyways, as Amirm wrote a little earlier (2 posts above) it seems somewhat pointless to compare an IEM to a headphone or a headphone to an external speaker.

And if I get it right, even if tonal FR is comparable...
I do not think I can get the same feeling that I have with a headphone.
I do not think I can compare my impressions on sound between a headphone and my 3-way active amplified Linn Keltik speakers :-(

Again, if it's commionly considered as purely subjective, I'll have no problems to admit that my POV is totally biased :)
But as far as I am concerned, I will stick to headphones :) Whatever the numbers say for an IEM :cool:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another great IEM for very little money!

Chagall

Forum Donor
Yes, but I feel like such a fool for having blown so much money on the 7Hz Zeros a week ago.

Is it possible to set up a notification when some fantastic, but lower priced IEMs are recommended? I'm thinking somewhere around $8.

No, no! This is a proper mistake: I bought IE600 a couple of months ago...:facepalm:
€500
IE600-768x385.jpg

€25
TANCHJIM ONE IEM frequency response measurement.png

doug2761

Forum Donor
Maybe you're like me and you've got a drawer or box of audio cables that have lost their luster after reading articles in ASR. You want some MIT cables or flat speaker cables? I figure if I strip out the copper from all those old cables maybe, just maybe, I could sell the copper for sufficient money to buy these miniature speakers.
I sold all of my old branded HiFi cables on Ebay. Netted a couple of hundred. Still had my old heavy gauge monster cable speaker wires that I put back into service. Since ASR and Archimago I've sold my McIntosh gear and gone all digital. Much lighter lifestyle. My kids aren't going to want any of my hifi gear down the road and why have those boat anchors weigh me down.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but I feel like such a fool for having blown so much money on the 7Hz Zeros a week ago.

Is it possible to set up a notification when some fantastic, but lower priced IEMs are recommended? I'm thinking somewhere around $8.
Ha, yeah, we might well end up there!

Art of sound

One thing that’s interesting to note is that it’s also sold together with a DSP USB-C cable (with mic), for less than the Moondrop Free DSP cable alone.

No measurements available on the former one, but worth considering for those who been thinking of buying the Free DSP cable as a USB-C alternative (with mic) for their other IEMs.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 147

Hart

I had the top Shure earbuds about 20 years ago. Maybe $450 at the time? Probably $1,000 today inflation adjusted. Now for $27 you can get a pair that I am guessing are much better than the ones I had. Amazing. I wonder how longer the exotically priced/weak performing gear will exist? I am sure there is still a large segment that believes that better sound is tied to a price tag exclusively. Or slick marketing. I wonder what share of the audiophile market reads ASR? 5-10%?

Last edited:

K man

@Art of sound. Thanks, but a frequency response doesn’t really tell much in this case (on a DSP that can be EQed). I would like to se distortion, power, etc.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Art of sound. Thanks, but a frequency response doesn’t really tell much in this case (on a DSP that can be EQed). I would like to se distortion, power, etc.
Is it a DSP cable plus iem or an iem with a built in Dsp cable?

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Is it a DSP cable plus iem or an iem with a built in Dsp cable?
I believe if you order the DSP version (as I have done), it is a 2-pin DSP cable with the IEM

I already bought the Moondrop FreeDSP cable and while I believe this DSP cable is not as good the App that comes with it is better than the Moondrop App (which is mostly terrible though a little more reliable in its last release).

With the FreeDSP cable yesterday I turned a 'comfortable to wear' but extremely V-Shaped sounding IEM into someone tonally similar to a Moondrop Blessing Dusk as an experiment and I was very pleased with the result (even with the limitations of the Moondrop App) - so I have high hopes for this IEM / DSP cable offering (given its already close to Harman without DSP ).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe if you order the DSP version (as I have done), it is a 2-pin DSP cable with the IEM

I already bought the Moondrop FreeDSP cable and while I believe this DSP cable is not as good the App that comes with it is better than the Moondrop App (which is mostly terrible though a little more reliable in its last release).

With the FreeDSP cable yesterday I turned a 'comfortable to wear' but extremely V-Shaped sounding IEM into someone tonally similar to a Moondrop Blessing Dusk as an experiment and I was very pleased with the result (even with the limitations of the Moondrop App) - so I have high hopes for this IEM / DSP cable offering (given its already close to Harman without DSP ).
Thats pretty damn good value then assuming the dac/ cable is even half competent.

(Agree 100% with you on the Moondrop limitations and app shortcomings)

isostasy

Does the smaller bullet shape result in worse isolation compared to the larger, more fitted housing of other IEMs?

Top Bottom