• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

suggestions for Streamer/DAC/Pre/room correction unit under $2000

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I'm having no luck getting the Boss2 to play and would still need to add room correction so I'm thinking of bailing on technology I'm apparently not sophisticated enough to operate and thinking of buying an all in one unit that contains an instruction manual and some support for my dumb azz.

Would prefer the room correction to be hardware based.

Bonus points for ease of use and wow factor.

Thanks all!

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having no luck getting the Boss2 to play and would still need to add room correction so I'm thinking of bailing on technology I'm apparently not sophisticated enough to operate and thinking of buying an all in one unit that contains an instruction manual and some support for my dumb azz.

Thanks all!

The simplest and least expensive solution would be:
1. Buy a UMIK for $79 and download REW for free.

2. Measure the room and use the built in EQ provided with Moode.

I would suggest streaming music via UPnP to the Boss2. You could try Audirvana for $6 a month. It's really easy to get it to stream music to Boss2 and then add Qobuz or Tidal after you have that working. That's the setup I use with Boss2 and it's easy to setup and solid.

However, if you have decided that's not for you, maybe this streamer is what you want:
Or if you have tons of money to throw at the issue:

NAD Masters Series M33​

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I've been trying to get the Boss2 to work for a couple of days and I will respectfully disagree with your assessment of easy to use and set up as I can do neither.

I can get internet stations to play on the Moode browser and my Spotify to see Moode Spotify in connect but no sound out of the unit to the stereo.

So yeah, it looks like one of those situations where money will need to thrown at the problem. It's not my first choice of plans but it's better than the no music plan.

jjk1

You could try a Yamaha R-N803. It was measured here with good results as an analog amp, with a not so good and noisy ADC (Likely inaudible) in non pure direct mode. The digital inputs (has 4) were not measured so we don’t know how in measures as a DAC+AMP.
it has streaming and room correction and is completely idiot proof and I would know idiot proof.
setup takes about 5 minutes. A one position measurement is all you get but it works well. Costs about 800.00 “All in one” but no pre-outs for external power if you were to need or want that. 100wpc into 8 ohm

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
MiniDSP SHD. I have one for running my Linkwitz LXMini's and it's an easy, all in one solution.

Streamer (spotify connect, volumio, roon), DAC, Dirac.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
You could try a Yamaha R-N803. It was measured here with good results as an analog amp, with a not so good and noisy ADC (Likely inaudible) in non pure direct mode. The digital inputs (has 4) were not measured so we don’t know how in measures as a DAC+AMP.
it has streaming and room correction and is completely idiot proof and I would know idiot proof.
setup takes about 5 minutes. A one position measurement is all you get but it works well. Costs about 800.00 “All in one”
Thanks for the suggestion, I will add that to the list which so far includes the two Cambridge units, NAD C658, ArcamTC60

Plod990

Thanks all!

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
You know the funny thing about the Boss2 not working for me...nobody else can seem to figure it out either. Not here or on the Moode forum.

Maybe people don't want to help, I guess that's always a possibility.

JRS

Major Contributor
You know the funny thing about the Boss2 not working for me...nobody else can seem to figure it out either. Not here or on the Moode forum.

Maybe people don't want to help, I guess that's always a possibility.
Maybe. But speaking for myself, there may also be fear of a "thrash" session: my worst memory of the sort is volunteering to set up a printer on a home network for a friend. This was in 2007, and still a bit of a novelty for home use. But hell how hard can it be I thought? Two 4 hour days later and a dozen calls to support 2 or 3 of which were actually answered, I managed to do it. So now I am more cautious.

Not saying that's at work, but could be. I'm about to embark on the same voyage here in a couple of months so I wish you luck. That said, I'd be inclined to go with the miniDSP. I would except my system is triamped, and none of the a x b XO's hit the sweet spot when it comes to several digital I's and 8 analog outs.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Pi based Streamer, Roon Lifetime, rew plus umik1. You are all set and got 1.000 USD to spare.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Maybe. But speaking for myself, there may also be fear of a "thrash" session: my worst memory of the sort is volunteering to set up a printer on a home network for a friend. This was in 2007, and still a bit of a novelty for home use. But hell how hard can it be I thought? Two 4 hour days later and a dozen calls to support 2 or 3 of which were actually answered, I managed to do it. So now I am more cautious.

Not saying that's at work, but could be. I'm about to embark on the same voyage here in a couple of months so I wish you luck. That said, I'd be inclined to go with the miniDSP. I would except my system is triamped, and none of the a x b XO's hit the sweet spot when it comes to several digital I's and 8 analog outs.
I figured out what the no sound problem was, there is a mute button on the unit's joystick. I don't know if it came that way or I had inadvertently pressed it.

I have to say the satisfaction of figuring out is doing a decent job of mitigating the feeling of frustration and stupidity.

I like your style btw.

Top Bottom