• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

suggestions for HiFi towers WITHOUT passive crossovers

kenshone

Hey forum. I'm looking for some towers that are "audiophile" quality that are made for active bi-amping or tri-amping. Any recommendations?

aedagnino

In theory, every passive tower is made for active bi-tri amping... you just have to remove the passive crossover, install new connectors, choose the active crossover and amplifiers of your choice, and voilá. It does involve a bit of diy and driver and speaker testing, but that is actually fun and teaches you a lot.
If you're looking for something ready to go, Burchardt has a couple of choices and another one on the way. Up the price ladder, D&D has the 8c, Kii has the Three, and of course you have the pro audio world with loads of options, many of which beat easily many of the 'audiophile' passive options out there that may be even much more expensive. Check the reviews for JBL, Genelec, Neumann and other pro monitors on this site.

OP
K

kenshone

I am hoping to find more of a DIY solution rather than having to take apart a decent passive speaker myself.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hey forum. I'm looking for some towers that are "audiophile" quality that are made for active bi-amping or tri-amping. Any recommendations?
Bryston.

Top Bottom