• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new_to_new_york

Hello everyone!
I am a complete beginner on this audiophile journey, so any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!.

I am a huge fan of the Beatles and classic rock music. To get the best sound of the music I love, I started to find a good (headphones + DAC + amp) setup that I would use in my quiet room. I just want to have the best sound quality, which means nothing has to be portable or have good features that might sacrifice sound quality. My MacBook pro 2017 with Qobuz streaming service will be the music source for the setup.

At this point, I don't think I have any knowledge about technical details. I am just still learning by googling, and I found out then Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni Heresy are great DAC and amp for beginners, so I decided to buy them.

I am now searching for good headphones under $500~$800 that sound good with the DAC + amp, especially for my music taste, which is 80%: the Beatles and other classic rock musicians, 20%: jazz, classical music, electronic music.

I found 1) Sennheiser HD 660s, 2) Hifiman Sundara, 3) Beyerdynamic DT 1990 are good to start with for beginners, but given that it is hard for me to actually go to stores and try them, I can't decide which would be the best for me.

Of course, any suggestion other than the above three would be appreciated, even a suggestion for DAC + amp for my music taste because Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni Heresy "might" have been a bad choice for me (which I believe is unlikely..?)

Thanks in advance!

Zensō

Major Contributor
Hello everyone!
I am a complete beginner on this audiophile journey, so any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!.

I am a huge fan of the Beatles and classic rock music. To get the best sound of the music I love, I started to find a good (headphones + DAC + amp) setup that I would use in my quiet room. I just want to have the best sound quality, which means nothing has to be portable or have good features that might sacrifice sound quality. My MacBook pro 2017 with Qobuz streaming service will be the music source for the setup.

At this point, I don't think I have any knowledge about technical details. I am just still learning by googling, and I found out then Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni Heresy are great DAC and amp for beginners, so I decided to buy them.

I am now searching for good headphones under $500~$800 that sound good with the DAC + amp, especially for my music taste, which is 80%: the Beatles and other classic rock musicians, 20%: jazz, classical music, electronic music.

I found 1) Sennheiser HD 660s, 2) Hifiman Sundara, 3) Beyerdynamic DT 1990 are good to start with for beginners, but given that it is hard for me to actually go to stores and try them, I can't decide which would be the best for me.

Of course, any suggestion other than the above three would be appreciated, even a suggestion for DAC + amp for my music taste because Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni Heresy "might" have been a bad choice for me (which I believe is unlikely..?)

Thanks in advance!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/HeadphoneReview/

Welcome to the forum.

Top Bottom