• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sugden a21se

mocenigo

Major Contributor
While I don't understand the technical side of your post, sorry. I would say no audible hum except very briefly at switch on from each mono. I am normally switched off at the mains. So, turn on at the wall into standby, each mono shows a red light. Press each red lit button to turn on. The brief hum, and after perhaps fifteen seconds, each machine turns fully on.

Ok, so there is a but of hum only while warming up. Very old school, but it is ok with me if the hum disappears. Is there is still some hum after that, for instance in close proximity to the speakers? And, if so, what is their sensitivity? (Or just tell me make and model, and I will dig up the rest.)

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This hum is gone by the time the led has changed from red to the active, white colour. These eighty year old ears don't discern any hum during playback. Both of the REL subs do seem to give off a "presence". (Sorry, can't put that any other way.) This happens when I switch them on, and does appear to get slightly "stronger", as I turn up their volume. (Normally to eleven on a volume control which goes to forty.) Next time I switch the system on, I will do a bit of hands and knees in front of the gear, and report back what I get. The speakers are Sierra LX.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Okay. Mustn't high jack this thread. However, system on and playing now.
With volumes down and nothing playing. Speakers silent. Subs, close to, which is covers off and ear coupla inches from the cone, definite slight hum. Music playing at twenty out of hundred on preamp volume. Subs at eleven. Speaker only music, sub slight hum plus of course sub musical contribution! Music, Bach Cello Suites. :)

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
For my sins, I have just checked What Hifi! :facepalm:
Can't see that my products have been reviewed by them.

Top Bottom