• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer placement calculations

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
If I know the exact dimensions of a room and my exact seating position (this is for solo listening in a single chair, not along a sofa, or a number of rows), is it easy to calculate the best (perfect?) subwoofer placement?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can simulate the frequency response using Room EQ Wizard.

I don't think you can calculate the optimal position.
This, REW’s ‘room sim’ feature you can virtually drag everything around your room and even adjust height.
Although obviously not that much latitude for height adjustment unless you prefer to recline while listening.
Keith

D

Deleted member 21114

Modelling the room well would take more work than just putting the sub in the room and measuring. With one sub it will be a matter of trying to minimise dips (as they cannot be EQ'd).

raindance

Major Contributor
Honestly, modeling for a simple shape room is fairly accurate as a starting point, but you do still need to measure after placement because every room has quirks due to how it is constructed and what is behind the walls/floor/ceiling and relatively small placement changes can cause large discrepancies. Also the integration with the sub/mains needs measurement confirmation.

In my experience, most issues are caused by SBIR effects from having the speakers too far into the room (which does not apply to a sub, it needs to be near a boundary, but it also affects the ability to integrate with a sub) and seating location. Murphy's law states that the seating position that works best for physical appearance of the room will always be in a total cancellation zone for low bass.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
My thoughts are that, if I got the sub into a generic ‘good’ position, even though that wouldn’t be perfect, it might entail less strain on eq after placement.

Top Bottom