• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not the usual subwoofer positioning question

Mattknz

I have always tried to have a bit of free space around my subwoofers, I don't really know why it just seems the right thing to do .
However, when I see photos of other people's rooms, I notice subs under tables or in corners with furniture next to them or stuck between a sofa and another chair etc.
So, the question is, without considering FR at the MLP is it ok to basically place a subwoofer anywhere?

MAB

Major Contributor
I have always tried to have a bit of free space around my subwoofers, I don't really know why it just seems the right thing to do .
However, when I see photos of other people's rooms, I notice subs under tables or in corners with furniture next to them or stuck between a sofa and another chair etc.
So, the question is, without considering FR at the MLP is it ok to basically place a subwoofer anywhere?
Yes, with some care.
If you put the port or radiator or driver really close to the wall, you will change the effective alignment, just a little bit. I did some measurements:
I had to get a subwoofer's port and another sub's passive radiator closer than a few cm to see a difference, the difference appears to be due to adding additional effective air mass to the port, and the difference may be either inaudible or not bad sounding, perhaps even good for particular room.

As long as the woofer isn't hitting the wall, you can put it very close.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have ported subs then a little space around the port is a good idea. A boundary surface can add turbulence at high SPL, increasing non-linear behaviour.

This logic is why "at least 1 port diameter from the wall" is a common and sensible recommendation.

Otherwise feel free to place your subs anywhere.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Subs don't need aiming particularly or "room" either, general rule of thumb for a port is twice the diameter as a distance to nearest boundary. Not putting them in another enclosure is probably a better route than doing so. Subwoofer basically needs to go in the best place in the room for performance rather than where it fits for your aesthetic particularly.

Top Bottom