• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Inputs - Are there any measured results indicating a real audible difference?

-Jim-

Hi Gents,

Just a quick question, do you know of any real data, or review, that demonstrates an audible difference between input connection types to a Subwoofer?

Some OEMs - like REL - push High / Speaker level Inputs as the superior method. Others only have Balanced and Unbalanced RCA Inputs, with no High level Inputs. Still others have Unbalanced RCA Inputs with High level Inputs. (I think of SVS for the last two) Some only have Unbalanced RCA Inputs. And a few - like HSU on their just released VTF-TN1 (which is already sold out by the way) offers all 3 input methods. (I'm dying to see a detailed review.)

Now I'm really only interested in your typical install scenario right now, not where cable lengths are 50+ feet away or something silly. (If you know of a good study for that versus wireless, perhaps you could post those links as well?) We all know the downside of High Level Inputs and the convenience the other two can have if you have room correction on your AVR.

It could be useful to know if there was an audible difference between input connections for those who don't bother with room correction software, or have a setup without it.

Thank-you for your comments.