• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer advice please

Hi, bought a pair of Genelec 8030C after advice from this site, for use in a smallish living room approximately (5*7) m

Listening at mostly low levels because of neighbours. When they go out it’s different!

However it’s mostly lower levels maybe 70-80 db.

So I’m leaning towards the small Genelec sub 7040a, attracted by build quality and I believe, but could be wrong it’s easier integration to my 8030c pair.

Would it really be worth stretching to the next Genelec up as 95% of the time I wouldn’t be able let rip?
Is there another sub I should consider?

Listening to all sorts, jazz, rock, classical.

Advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Curvature

Major Contributor
Get the largest Genelec smart sub you can afford after factoring in the cost for a GLM system. Run it, experiment with FR and rest easy.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Thanks but I believe the 8030c won’t work with GLM
That sucks.

A sub is always worth it. If you have a measurement microphone and are comfortably techy or want to learn, and have an interface that can handle LPF/HPF and EQ, it's worth buying any good sub and integrating it yourself. Just buying a sub and not measuring/EQing/integrating is a waste of money.

If you aren't comfortable with all that it will be a lot easier to redo your setup to include GLM.

OP
B

brockers13

That sucks.

A sub is always worth it. If you have a measurement microphone and are comfortably techy or want to learn, and have an interface that can handle LPF/HPF and EQ, it's worth buying any good sub and integrating it yourself. Just buying a sub and not measuring/EQing/integrating is a waste of money.

If you aren't comfortable with all that it will be a lot easier to redo your setup to include GLM.
Input appreciated, I’ll look into your advice, however selling the 8030c and re buying is a hassle I don’t want and further GLM is be out of my price range.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One nice thing about the Genelec subwoofers is that they have built-in bass management, which means you can high pass your main speakers to relieve them of the low bass duty (high pass frequency fixed at 85 Hz).

If OP is using a PC as the source, he can get a measurement mic (e.g. miniDSP UMIK-1), measure with REW (free software), and run room EQ on the PC. It may not be as convenient to use as GLM, but is functionally about the same.

OP
B

brockers13

One nice thing about the Genelec subwoofers is that they have built-in bass management, which means you can high pass your main speakers to relieve them of the low bass duty (high pass frequency fixed at 85 Hz).

If OP is using a PC as the source, he can get a measurement mic (e.g. miniDSP UMIK-1), measure with REW (free software), and run room EQ on the PC. It may not be as convenient to use as GLM, but is functionally about the same.
Thanks for inputting, interesting and yes a using a Mac.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not familiar with EQ software for Mac. We do have a list of them.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not familiar with EQ software for Mac. We do have a list of them.
For Mac use SoundSource.

Recluse-Animator

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s-mkii/

449$

RSL-10S-MKII-Top-Featured.png

RSL-InHome-Trial-Gray-Icon-v2.png
Money-Back-Guarantee-Gray-Icon.png
RSL-No-Fees-Gray-Icon.png

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/rsl-10s-mkii

Last edited:

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, bought a pair of Genelec 8030C after advice from this site, for use in a smallish living room approximately (5*7) m

Listening at mostly low levels because of neighbours. When they go out it’s different!

So I’m leaning towards the small Genelec sub 7040a, attracted by build quality and I believe, but could be wrong it’s easier integration to my 8030c pair.

Would it really be worth stretching to the next Genelec up as 95% of the time I wouldn’t be able let rip?

Thanks

I have a set of 8030cs paired with an SVS micro3000 in a similar sized space. The integration of the sub is very important and unfortunately GLM will not work with the 8030c so no need for an expensive Genelec sub.

I initially went with the SVS because of its remote configurability, hoping this would let me dial it in. I was not able to however and ended with a miniDSP flex in the mix to improve integration. Don't underestimate the importance of getting the integration & calibration right.

The sub adds value to the setup and would be a worthwhile addition in my view.

OP
B

brockers13

I have a set of 8030cs paired with an SVS micro3000 in a similar sized space. The integration of the sub is very important and unfortunately GLM will not work with the 8030c so no need for an expensive Genelec sub.

I initially went with the SVS because of its remote configurability, hoping this would let me dial it in. I was not able to however and ended with a miniDSP flex in the mix to improve integration. Don't underestimate the importance of getting the integration & calibration right.

The sub adds value to the setup and would be a worthwhile addition in my view.
So will a SVS, Say

SVS SB1000 Pro be easier to integrate than th Genelec 7040a ?​

Thanks

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So will a SVS, Say

Thanks
Sorry brokers, I can't answer that.

I would get in touch with Genelec directly, they have excellent technical support and speak to them about what you are trying to achieve.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So will a SVS, Say

Thanks
I use a pair of sb1000 pro subs with my kh120‘s which are very similar to your genelecs and it works great. However , you will need a minidsp flex or something similar for bass management and room correction.

OP
B

brockers13

Thanks
Just an update for all those who kindly gave input to me.

After lots of consideration and a degree of agonising:) I pushed the buy button on a Genelec 7040a. The quality of the 8030 speakers, resale value and Genelec backup convinced me in the end. The 7050 I ruled out, mainly because of cost, it goes a little lower sure, but I reckon most of the increase in cost maybe apart from the larger driver goes in the multiple input / output XLR and bigger amp and ultimate sound levels. ( could be wrong of course) Anyway In my listening environment those higher levels are incompatible. Listening around 60-85db mainly

So Flac files on a MacBook Pro - SMSL C200 DAC - 7040a - 8030s. No REW but in the pipeline down the road sometime. The sub is under the desk/table, to one side with -4 db roll off to start.

Really like the sound, punchy bass, felt even at low volumes.

Thanks for everyone’s help advice and input.