• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitor speakers without hiss?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was complaining about hiss with 8030C even at 1m50. Recently I swapped RCA to XLR cables for XLR to XLR, and hiss decreased. It is now less audible from that distance. Source is a CD player connected to a Little Beat MC2 pre-amp. I don't know why it is better now. Perhaps the RCA cable was picking some interferences?

In my experience RCA cable is trash. Even double/triple shielded stuff seems to add a little hiss. Now that I have a full digital 2.1 system, there is zero added hiss. Plugging in and unplugging the analog XLR cables for the surround speakers is the same. No additional hiss. Love it. Maybe it's just RCA equipment doesn't get made to high standards? Also, with all the stuff going through the airwaves these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the unshielded RCA connectors act as tiny antennae.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mackie MR524/624 should have less hiss than most active studio monitors, right ?

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mackie MR524/624 should have less hiss than most active studio monitors, right ?

Why should they?

The HR824 has less hiss than a JBL 3 series which has less hiss than the Kali LP series.... BUT: Now that the IN-5 and IN-8 are out, that is fixed and they have the least hiss I've heard from active speakers under $2000

gasolin75

Reviews say the makckie mr has low hiss

Bullwinkle J Moose

They do but it makes no difference to the hiss.

Are you sure about that?

The 1st gen LSR-305 only has audible hiss at maximum gain setting

Turning it down to 50% completely eliminates the hiss

If you need more volume than your computer will give you, buy a JDS Labs Atom and your done

If you are having a ground loop issue, add an outboard DAC to the optical or USB port

Many of the newer DAC's have great noise rejection even over USB

mononoaware

In my experience RCA cable is trash.

If I read this a few weeks ago before first ever experience with RCA, I would believe you are exaggerating and inflammatory.

But upon using RCA cables for the first time (few weeks ago) due to getting a pair of Monoblock's with only RCA inputs, I believe you are correct.

From the beginning of using RCA I have been having issues with ground loop/or ground loop amplified power-supply noise in the signal coming out from speakers.
Up until this point I have strictly used trouble-free XLR connections, and quite frankly I am very upset with this RCA noise which in my experience with long troubleshooting is unavoidable in this setup.
The exact same DAC connected using XLR outputs in the exact same location results in absolute silence.

I have narrowed it down to being caused by the Switching power-supply inside the Apple TV which I use as a wireless streamer.
Wherever it is plugged in (tried all wall sockets), and awake from standby, the noise starts within the system using RCA.
Same setup but with XLR, absolute silence.
For years there was silence thanks to XLR, just replacing the connection cables with RCA causes the audible noise at listening position.
RCA = Terrible.

Andysu

Major Contributor
How comes speakers don't get tinnitus with hissing noise? And why I do cos of SENSURROUND at frigging 120dB for 2hrs of rubbish movie called 'battlestar galactica'. Answer me that one. Otherwise my system has some hiss that is so faint I don't notice it and pink noise or movie will mask it even at low fader level of below -10dB. Also the hiss will have a certain frequency range that one can see on the RTA.

gasolin75

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Are you sure about that?

The 1st gen LSR-305 only has audible hiss at maximum gain setting

Turning it down to 50% completely eliminates the hiss

If you need more volume than your computer will give you, buy a JDS Labs Atom and your done

If you are having a ground loop issue, add an outboard DAC to the optical or USB port

Many of the newer DAC's have great noise rejection even over USB
This is not true, they only don't hiss when you have the gain to 0. Apart from that the hiss barely changes at all with the gain setting.

Bullwinkle J Moose

This is not true, they only don't hiss when you have the gain to 0. Apart from that the hiss barely changes at all with the gain setting.

You are incorrect,

I have 2 pair of LSR-305's and they only hiss near max gain

There is no hiss at 50% gain

If I need more gain, I use a clean preamp

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You are incorrect,

I have 2 pair of LSR-305's and they only hiss near max gain

There is no hiss at 50% gain

If I need more gain, I use a clean preamp
Mine hiss even without any input.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL LSR3 series has hiss. As does the 7 series. The Mackie HR series also hisses, but much less than the 3 series. The IN-5 and IN-8v2 and Genelecs are the few I've heard that don't have audible hiss to me at the listening position.

If the 3 series doesn't have hiss to you, enjoy. A quieter room may help though.

gasolin75

New owner of a pair of Mackie MR524 with A/B amps, i can comfirm that they have no hiss

Top Bottom