• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer without dac advice

Fabian22

Hello guys.

I recently got the Audiophonics DA-S250NC amp and I'm looking for a streamer only as the amp already has a DAC
Looking to spend max 500 euros on the streamer (I'm based in Europe) and the only requirement is that the streamer can be controlled via an android/iphone app (the more sources there the better).
I usually listen on Tidal or Spotify but also once in a while I will listen to something on youtube.
I considered the Yamaha WXC-50 but I had the WXA-50 before (returned it due to insufficient power) and the app did not blow me away, I also had some issues with connectivity on Spotify and I believe it's the same app (musiccast)
So any advice is welcomed

PS : A large screen like that on Eversolo DMP A6 would be very nice :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../wiim-pro-review-measurements-streamer.42300/
If you can face a little DIY you can make a separate screen to show what they're playing:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...splay-for-wiim-mini-via-inovato-quadra.37952/

There's a whole load of DIY you can do with Raspberry Pis, with or without screens, and pricing is starting to get less silly at last. The problem may be Tidal - I think only the paid Volumio has official support that's recent. The Squeezebox/LMS ecosystem still has some level of Tidal support I believe, but hasn't seen updates to it in a long time.

OP
F

Fabian22

I had the option to buy the Audiophonics DAW S250NC which had built in wiim support for 200€ more but I chose not to and buy a separate streamer. Maybe it was not the wise decision after all.
I don't know exactly how to build one from scratch with a Rpi module. I could learn how to do it but it will take time and I prefer paying extra to have it pre built.
I heard good things about ifi zen stream so I was thinking about that. It's about 400$ here.
Any more suggestions?

Chazz6

BubbleUPnP is a capable DLNA controller app for Android tablets. So you can decide on a streamer without being confined to its companion app.

I keep music files on a PC and serve them with MinimServer. If you want a streaming service like Spotify or Tidal, my guess is that they have their own apps available that run on Android. Of course, you can switch easily between BubbleUPnP and a branded app.

OP
F

Fabian22

The thing is, I don't have any music stored anywhere I'm just using streaming services like Tidal or Spotify. I just wanted a good wi fi streamer that connects very easy to those apps and does not have any problems with connectivity. A HDMI arc would be very nice but for now I haven't found anything in my price range that meets this criteria. Only thing I found was the Bluesound Node but it has it's own DAC and the review by Amir was not positive.

Chazz6

I have a Denon Link HEOS2. It receives wi-fi from our router. Its optical and coaxial outputs bypass its internal DAC. The HEOS app is needed to launch the wi-fi connection. After that, you can use the HEOS app to get to a variety of streaming services, or you can use other apps on your Android device, since the box is DLNA-compliant.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I had the option to buy the Audiophonics DAW S250NC which had built in wiim support for 200€ more but I chose not to and buy a separate streamer. Maybe it was not the wise decision after all.
I don't mind having a separate box and I don't trust any audio manufacturer with long term software support, so I'd say it's the right choice.
I don't know exactly how to build one from scratch with a Rpi module. I could learn how to do it but it will take time and I prefer paying extra to have it pre built.
Perfectly reasonable.
The thing is, I don't have any music stored anywhere I'm just using streaming services like Tidal or Spotify. I just wanted a good wi fi streamer that connects very easy to those apps and does not have any problems with connectivity. A HDMI arc would be very nice but for now I haven't found anything in my price range that meets this criteria. Only thing I found was the Bluesound Node but it has it's own DAC and the review by Amir was not positive.
The Node was going to be my other suggestion. Its DAC wasn't great, but it does also have digital outputs you could use with your amp. People seem to think the software side is relatively good too.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
WiiM mini (or pro) ? Does have a DAC but you just bypass it. App is nice. Cheap enough to buy just to try it out.
No screen, but the app is fine.
Doesn't do YouTube (I think) but you can always just connect your phone by Bluetooth and use that if it's infrequent.

Top Bottom