• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
We are very sorry for this. After discussing with the dealer for a long time, it have the following decisions.

1.For warranty, If you buy on a sales website such as Amazon AliExpress, it is best to contact the seller for the completeness of the after-sales information. It can ship to US/CN for repair. Efforts are being made to develop repair locations in Europe, which can be shipped to Europe in the future to advoid custom fee. Is working hard to deal with this European repair site.

2.Other purchase channels, connect with the email: [email protected]

Thanks.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
We are very sorry for this.
Hi Mandy,

Thank you for posting about and formally acknowledging this issue.

I'm glad to hear the disparity between SMSL and the distributor/producer of the product has eventually been reconciled and some solutions to this problem are being reached.

JSmith

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We are very sorry for this. After discussing with the dealer for a long time, it have the following decisions.

1.For warranty, If you buy on a sales website such as Amazon AliExpress, it is best to contact the seller for the completeness of the after-sales information. It can ship to US/CN for repair. Efforts are being made to develop repair locations in Europe, which can be shipped to Europe in the future to advoid custom fee. Is working hard to deal with this European repair site.

Thanks.
Thanks Mandy

Please advise when you have EU/ UK repair channels available as I'm not keen on shipping to the US or China.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks Mandy

Please advise when you have EU/ UK repair channels available as I'm not keen on shipping to the US or China.

Thanks.
What does repair mean? New hardware, new software or an exchange of the complete device?

possumtaters

Thanks.

Hi Mandy,

Could you please confirm you email address as it’s not working?
Thank you.

B458D6BA-E27C-46F7-83DB-4A39CFF76074.jpeg

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thanks.
Two months and 822 posts later.
Wow. Just wow :(

lucadoc

I asked to the Aliexpress vendor to replace the unit but they are not aware of the problem and suggested to do the firmware update on my own.... I think they don't know anything

timlub

Hello all, My name is Tim. I'm an old Audiophile. I have been visiting your forum here for maybe 18 months or so. Like so many, looking for an affordable DAC and searching the M500, I found the info here valuable. I purchased the M500 on Amazon new years eve 2020 and it was delivered to my home on January 5th 2021. I noticed how clean and quick this was, but occasionally, not always, I heard what I'll call a glare that was tough to live with.... you know, once you identify it, it becomes in your face. What I didn't realize is that it was for sure the DAC. I had sold off all of my other DAC's except a cheapy PCM1795 DAC that required a power supply and a USB regenerator to sound in the league of a pretty decent DAC. I was switching cables, changing the tow on my speakers etc trying to get rid of the glare. Then I read this thread. I purchased my M500 from the SMSL Amazon store. I contacted them through their contact info on Amazon. They first offered to replace it. When I asked if the new unit might have a firmware update, they told me "Sorry, Need to send back to China".... They said that they would pay for everything, but never offered how to make it happen.
I contacted Amazon. They offered to Exchange it, Pay me $30 to keep it or refund it, minus an $80 restocking fee. I told them that I'd like a refund, but have no interest to take an $80 hit for a defective product. I told them that they could exchange it and we can do this again and again until an update happens and that would cost them dearly. They finally gave me a full refund. Last night, I went to Amazon, I'm not sure if it is because yesterday and today are Prime Day or if it is a permanent markdown, but the M500 is now, $369 and the SU-9 is $404 and using an Amazon credit card gets you an extra 6% back, so the SU-9 netted at $380. With the hope that I've seen here that the SU-9 can get a firmware update, I purchased the SU-9. I wanted something else, but I haven't seen anything in this $400 price range that really competes.
So that's been my SMSL journey thus far.
I appreciate the forum. I've repaired or built a dozen or so amplifiers, although, I still do not have that thorough knowledge of some others. If anyone ever needs advice on speaker repair or builds. I do have a thorough knowledge there. I've been in the speaker game for near 40 years, can't imagine anything going over my head, but who knows. Either way, I am available to anyone at the forum that may need technical advice on speakers. Like others was sorry to see Liu go.... Liu, If you read this, You are appreciated and wanted back!

kfscoll

As they say ... it takes years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it :facepalm:
Right. It's great that SMSL has acknowledged the problem and has committed to a fix, but it's sad that it took intervention from @amirm to make that to happen. If owners are going to have to rely on third-parties to engage SMSL for product support...well, that's a customer support strategy that's hard for customers to feel comfortable about.

Still, it's good that this issue looks like it'll eventually be resolved.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Thanks.
Sent an email for my 2 SU-9 units purchased from HiFiGo. Fingers crossed...

lucadoc

Reply from the vendor on Aliexpress :
"Dear
Sorry, we can’t send you tools right now
Please wait for the start of the European repair shop
We are building a European repair shop, that will repair your product faster"

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Reply from the vendor on Aliexpress :
"Dear
Sorry, we can’t send you tools right now
Please wait for the start of the European repair shop
We are building a European repair shop, that will repair your product faster"
Is possible for you to ship it to CN/US?

Top Bottom