• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

aandres_gm

I got SMSL SU-9 and i thought that my hearing is just getting bad by age, DAMN. So glad i found this, i took out my old THX AAA amp/dac and yeah. The annoying "spike" is gone, it was distortion all along.
I just thought i cant stand anymore 1-2Khz sounds so much cos im getting older and used EQ to tame it hahaha. With monolith THX amp/dac its gone..
I will burn that $hitty SMSL, i tried to get it upgraded but i dont have the receipt anymore.
Newer again im going to buy ANY SMSL thing, im done with them.
I highly highly highly doubt any of the things you "noticed" is related to this issue.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My M500 is back from fixing. That was quite fast. My subjective impression is, that the clarity and sound stage has improved. The firmware number didn't change. However it has the DPLL setting now, which wasn't there before.

I always thought DPLL was available as a setting with M500 (it is listed on product page).
After a search seems like it is listed only for the V2 model.

You must have an early version, and now DPLL setting is unlocked.

Last edited:

Jeriko

My M500 is back from fixing. That was quite fast. My subjective impression is, that the clarity and sound stage has improved. The firmware number didn't change. However it has the DPLL setting now, which wasn't there before.

Mine is also back.
From the communication with audiophonics it was also clear that they check/ measure the device after the update to make sure that the update was successful. So you don't have to worry.

A big thank you to @Audiophonics and @SHENZHENAUDIO. I think you made some people happy again..You do a great job!

jani80k

How did yours come back before mine? LOL
What is the DPLL setting?

Roland68

Major Contributor
@WolfX-700
You wrote that you updated the SMSL SU-9 yourself.
Can you say which USB programmer tool is needed and where can I get the firmware from?

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Mine is also back.
From the communication with audiophonics it was also clear that they check/ measure the device after the update to make sure that the update was successful. So you don't have to worry.

A big thank you to @Audiophonics and @SHENZHENAUDIO. I think you made some people happy again..You do a great job!
Thanks for the update here.

USER

Forum Donor
Just to update you on my situation, which does not really clarify anything:

I sent to Amir the M500 that Apos sent me as a replacement (the one that was clearly used, with the small scratches) and it failed the test miserably. I was assured by Apos that all of the units that they had at the warehouse were fixed. The SINAD of the left channel was at around 78 dB. I contacted Apos again to figure out what happened. They were quick to apologize and set up a return. However, they skirted the issue. After pressing them, asking them if it was their fault or that of SMSL, they said that it was an issue at their own warehouse.

Today I received my second replacement. This one was sent directly from China and has a serial number that starts with 1901. SW: 1.7 and HW: 1.3. The lack of transparency on this issue, with SMSL not designating a new firmware or model number, is infuriating. 78 dB SINAD on one channel is a real issue, and everyone is just fumbling about.

I don't even think I want to spend another $20 shipping this unit to Amir for review. How would it help as we can't tell which models are fixed even if it does pass this time. (I suspect that it will as they know I sent one in to Amir.) All I know is that I will never buy another SMSL product again.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor

I sent to Amir the M500 that Apos sent me as a replacement (the one that was clearly used, with the small scratches) and it failed the test miserably. I was assured by Apos that all of the units that they had at the warehouse were fixed. The SINAD of the left channel was at around 78 dB. I contacted Apos again to figure out what happened. They were quick to apologize and set up a return. However, they skirted the issue. After pressing them, asking them if it was their fault or that of SMSL, they said that it was an issue at their own warehouse.

Today I received my second replacement. This one was sent directly from China and has a serial number that starts with 1901. I have no way of knowing if it is fixed or not. SW: 1.7 and HW: 1.3. The lack of transparency on this issue, with SMSL designating a new firmware of model number, is infuriating. 78 dB SINAD on one channel is a real issue, and everyone is just fumbling about.

I don't even think I want to spend another $20 shipping this unit to Amir for review. How would it help as we can't tell which models are fixed even if it does pass this time. (I suspect that it will as they know I sent one in to Amir.) All I know is that I will never buy another SMSL product again.
I just hope that you enjoy the music with your new unit :)

jani80k

I received my unit back from audiophonics in France. Please can someone post a step by step description how to test the issue.
I do have an audio interface and I can connect the output of my DAC to the input of my audiointerface via XLR.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my unit back from audiophonics in France. Please can someone post a step by step description how to test the issue.
I do have an audio interface and I can connect the output of my DAC to the input of my audiointerface via XLR.
Did you test it before it went back?

jani80k

Did you test it before it went back?
Unfortunately, I did not, but I think it should not matter. All I want to do is execute the test in question and see if I get a clean signal.

The reason I am asking is: Since I got my DAC back, it sounds completely different. I just want to make sure it's not confirmation bias.
Is there a thead on this forum on how to perform measurements?

Moreover there is a very significant difference: the unit does not get hot anymore, not even warm.

Last edited:

jani80k

This is huge guys, the unit does not get hot anymore. Before I had sent it in, it would get warm after 10 to 15 minutes regardless if it was playing anything or not. Now it stays cold. They definitely did something.
I have listened over and over again to confirm and made these observations:
The sound appears to be far more neutral, less warm. The M500 almost sounds boring now paired with my SP200. Also on certain songs instruments appeared to be more present than the singers voice. That is not the case anymore.
I could be wrong. It may be my brain playig tricks on me.

jani80k

Ok, I solved the puzzle...

I sent them my V1 and they returned a V2.

SW 1.7 HW 1.3

No wonder it doesn't get hot anymore.. sound is very clear. Better than the unit I shipped them.

Skifaster

I ordered the M500 about 6 months ago from Amazon, I am in USA, After reading these threads, I actually called amazon cust service on the Phone(?!) and got a live person, They provided R/A and credit of $342 , I paid like $440 or so I think.
Recently ordered and received Topping 70S MQA from Apos. I am VERY happy with this dac

Node 2i coax out> Topping D70 xlr out> RCF Ayra Pro8 monitors , rca out > SVS SB2000 pro sub
adding JDS atom amp for headphones soon ( I do not use headphones that often)

I appreciate this forum, its frustrating what has transpired with SMSL M500, live an learn, I have bought and sold so much audio equipment over the years , in the big picture, no big deal. The good news- I have the D70 and it is not going anywhere soon!

Veri

Master Contributor
Node 2i coax out> Topping D70 xlr out> RCF Ayra Pro8 monitors , rca out > SVS SB2000 pro sub
adding JDS atom amp for headphones soon ( I do not use headphones that often)
Nice set-up, man..! :) Enjoy!

raif71

Major Contributor
Ok, I solved the puzzle...

I sent them my V1 and they returned a V2.

SW 1.7 HW 1.3

No wonder it doesn't get hot anymore.. sound is very clear. Better than the unit I shipped them.
I suppose you won't get max 6.8V anymore with the V2. I didn't have the V1 but I bought a used V2 and the unit is not hot either (temperature wise that is :)) but I like what I'm hearing. The DAC is good and this is without fixing the 3rd harmonic issue.

jani80k

I suppose you won't get max 6.8V anymore with the V2. I didn't have the V1 but I bought a used V2 and the unit is not hot either (temperature wise that is :)) but I like what I'm hearing. The DAC is good and this is without fixing the 3rd harmonic issue.
Is there a DPLL option in the menu of your DAC?

jani80k

Today I received my second replacement. This one was sent directly from China and has a serial number that starts with 1901. SW: 1.7 and HW: 1.3. The lack of transparency on this issue, with SMSL not designating a new firmware or model number, is infuriating. 78 dB SINAD on one channel is a real issue, and everyone is just fumbling about.

did the first unit you got as a replacement have the DPLL option in the menu?
It might be possible that this is only available on fixed units for whichever reason...

USER

Forum Donor
did the first unit you got as a replacement have the DPLL option in the menu?
It might be possible that this is only available on fixed units for whichever reason...

Interesting. This new replacement has the DPLL option. I never knew about nor checked for the option when I had the other two versions, so I can't confirm anything.

Top Bottom