• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

jdoe

They will send you an update tool if you pester them enough
Would you please share list of steps required in order to receive update tool? I would like to try fixing my M500 (unfortunately I can't send my unit for repair neither to China or US).

Paulo83

Would you please share list of steps required in order to receive update tool? I would like to try fixing my M500 (unfortunately I can't send my unit for repair neither to China or US).

Just email SMSL and explain there is no option where you live for the upgrade so wish to do it yourself. The instructions make no sense though so whether it's worth it I don't know. I was already moving mine on to be honest so didn't invest much time in it.

chefffe

Just picked up my upgraded SU9 from Post Office. Audiophonics confirmed successful upgrade so I trust them and even I might not remember any differences I have now a good feeling that the upgrade was a success. At some musical atoms I might hear an improvement.

Thanks to Shenzenaudio and Audiophonics !!!!

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Just picked up my upgraded SU9 from Post Office. Audiophonics confirmed successful upgrade so I trust them and even I might not remember any differences I have now a good feeling that the upgrade was a success. At some musical atoms I might hear an improvement.

Thanks to Shenzenaudio and Audiophonics !!!!
Thanks as well for your update.

se1zdlight

I sent directly my SMSL m500 V1 from Korea to China.
And I just received mine from SMSL.

It was long way to RMA this unit.
The process of contacting them was very tough, due to lack of their official C/S communication route.
I think it contains the intention of not wanting to provide customer service as much as possible, and this is clearly a problem.
However, once they answered my email, they tried to solve the problem smoothly.

They solved not only the 3rd harmonic issue but also the thermal throttling issue in the early V1, like mine.
Mine's version was hw 1.2 sw 1.5, but it has now been updated and marked as hw 1.2, sw 1.7.
Although it is somewhat suspicious that it is displayed as hw 1.2 (this could be opamp thing or so), it is clear that the firmware has been patched and new functions such as DPLL have been added to mine.

I'm an objectivist with audio and I don't believe the 3rd harmonic issue will be audible, as many forum contributors have mentioned.
But now that the issue is resolved, something feels different.
Of course, I think it could be a placebo, but if before the sound was a bit sharp, now it seems to sound smoother than before.

I am satisfied with the product's performance and resolved issues, but it seems that there is a need for a more transparent and smooth response in customer service.
The fact that the firmware version of the resolved issue is displayed the same as the unresolved one is highly suspicious, and the fact that there is no official window for customer service is still worthy of criticism.

Anyway, thank you for @SMSL-Mandy for resolving this.

Last edited:

fidgetymo

Has anyone else had this type of response from Mandy?

I have an M500:
SW1.7
HW1.3
2020-5-30

Via e-mail, I asked Mandy how to go about fixing the harmonic issue.

She responded saying:
"Hello, this is the new version that can be upgraded."
followed by
"download the firmware on our official web."

I asked where to find the firmware because I cannot find it but I have yet to get a response after a couple days.

Does anyone know where this firmware can be downloaded or if this is accurate?

jani80k

I can tell you that in EU they will send you back a Hw 1.3 SW 1.7 Unit, even if you send in an older one.
One of us has measured theirs and it has been fixed. So there is actually reason to believe that what Mandy says is true. You could just download the latest version of the firmware and reapply it.

fidgetymo

I can tell you that in EU they will send you back a Hw 1.3 SW 1.7 Unit, even if you send in an older one.
One of us has measured theirs and it has been fixed. So there is actually reason to believe that what Mandy says is true. You could just download the latest version of the firmware and reapply it.

Thank you for the reply and info. I have seen that the M400 firmware is applicable to the M500. However, I cannot find M500 firmware anywhere to download. So do you think Mandy is referring to the M400 firmware?

jani80k

They removed it, it was there before. Maybe send an email to Audiophonics in France?
They are doing the fixes for EU. They should be able to help.

jdoe

Has anyone else had this type of response from Mandy?
"Hello, this is the new version that can be upgraded."
followed by
"download the firmware on our official web."
I asked where to find the firmware because I cannot find it but I have yet to get a response after a couple days.
Does anyone know where this firmware can be downloaded or if this is accurate?

I got new fixed firmware from Mandy for STM32F103VE chip, which is used in M500, however I need to purchase flash tool for it and properly wire with onboard JTAG SWD connector (example of tool - https://www.ebay.com/itm/254181028177). The problem is that on M500 side JTAG SWD pins are not labeled, so I will have to use default 7-pin layout and pray not to brick unit. I will post here when I'll get flash tool and the results of fix. If it will be successful, then I'll post my finding and detailed instructions in M500 owners thread.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Which version of the SU-9 firmware fixes the 3rd harmonic issue? Right now I have HW ver: 1.0 , SW ver: 1.2 , USB ver: 2.06 .

chefffe

The Version
HW ver: 1.0 , SW ver: 1.2 , USB ver: 2.06 .

:D (SMSL is not using any changed version number)

jdoe

If the firmware is dated from last year, how can it fix the problem that was discovered this year? Have you tested your device after flashing?
SMSL might forgot to update date, because current year devices with fixed firmware shows the same 2020-5-30 timestamp, here is example: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...smsl-m500-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/post-770890
I don't have proper ADC to measure my unit, however I'll to check if someone can lend me proper soundcard with high grade ADC convertors.

Domchuck29

Following some really long mail exchanges and presumably pointless argumentation, SMSL has eventually allowed me to return my M500 bought at hifi-express.com (seems like a factory direct shop for SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie brands) to Audiophonics in France, instead of China.

Audiophonics has very quickly performed the update for fixing the error and has documented the intervention by sending me those before/after measurement snapshots.

before.jpg

after.jpg

While it took too much time to get there, I’m happy with the result.

Veri

Master Contributor
Audiophonics has very quickly performed the update for fixing the error and has documented the intervention by sending me those before/after measurement snapshots.

Good service by Audiophonics :)

scherbakov_al

Following some really long mail exchanges and presumably pointless argumentation, SMSL has eventually allowed me to return my M500 bought at hifi-express.com (seems like a factory direct shop for SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie brands) to Audiophonics in France, instead of China.

View attachment 157539

View attachment 157540

While it took too much time to get there, I’m happy with the result.
hmm ... but where did this comb around 1kHz come from?

ABSNimes

We are very sorry for this. After discussing with the dealer for a long time, it have the following decisions.

1.For warranty, If you buy on a sales website such as Amazon AliExpress, it is best to contact the seller for the completeness of the after-sales information. It can ship to US/CN for repair. Efforts are being made to develop repair locations in Europe, which can be shipped to Europe in the future to advoid custom fee. Is working hard to deal with this European repair site.

2.Other purchase channels, connect with the email: [email protected]

Thanks.
Hi Mr SMSL-Mandy,

I'm a French customer, and I'd like to have my SU-9 unit firmware fixed/replaced.
I buy it early 2021 using amazon.fr

1° - How do I request replacement to Amazon (Unit replaced by a SU-9 fixed/updated firmware) ?
2° - What about your progress about repair location in Europe ?

Please, give informations about how to deal with Amazon...

Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom