• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

jani80k

Just for the record.
@SMSL-Mandy has contaced me via DM and notified me that she straightened things out with the Amazon seller.
They have now contacted me and my M500 is on its way to France where it will be updated to the latest firmware by Audiophonics.

Chris_KA

My M500 arrived yesterday in France (Audiophonics) for firmware upgrade. I will report here when the device has been returned to me.

chefffe

Anybody know if Shenzenaudio will ship upgraded devices via Amazon already?

Blew

I have a mint M500 with the update kit for sale if anyone is interested. I won't be splitting these, I just want as sale as have changed DAC. Located in UK.

Where did you get the tool from? I'd much rather update mine myself than have to send it somewhere.

Chris_KA

I really hope that the changes they make to fix it results in a new firmware release with a new version number you can check in in the device settings rather that a sticker somewhere on the housing. Then it should also be easy to confirm that new devices sold over amazon have the update.

raif71

Major Contributor
I bought a used m500 v2 almost a month now and I must say the sound coming from this unit is absolutely amazing (to me). Finally got a matching DAC to match Stoner Acoustic EGA amp
1627033335194.png

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got help from HiFiGo on my 2 units of SU-9s. Sent them from Canada to US for update at cost of $17.5(as 50% of the shipping was shared by HiFiGo).

They were very responsive on my enquiries and within a week they have shipped my units back free of charge to Canada. Very nice customer service and at $~8.5 per unit to upgrade, I do feel I had it easy! Let's see if the units arrive as expected with all the accessories...

tommyst

After email contact with the seller Audio Deals my M500 is now on the way to Audiophonics in France.

Chris_KA

OK I got my M500 back from Audiophonics in France. They sent me the tracking number and the info that flashing went fine.

The device was well packed and arrived with no scratches and works as before.
What I really don't appreciate is the fact that this firmware patch did not result in a version bump. My device still shows HW1.3 SW 1.7. There is no indication whatsoever that anything has been changed.

In case of selling this device I will not be able to proof that the fix has been applied. This is unfortunate and frankly not really professional. A firmware patch should always result in a bump of the version number.

I assume that smsl is not interested to introduce a new firmware version number resulting in devices without the patch being clearly identifiable as outdated. They probably hope that a lot of customers will not be aware of this bug. This is at least my conclusion here.

And this would have been no problem at all if smsl added a simple way to update firmware by the end user. Just think of another bug resulting in another need to patch the firmware. I consider this a major design flaw.

timlub

I printed the couple emails that confirm that the issue is there and say that Your SMSL SU-9 has been updated. If I were buying a previously enjoyed DAC, I would accept that. I hope that this helps, Tim

timlub

I suspect that the update not changing versions is intentional. Anyone that has the update can tell others what version that they are on and it will coincide with all of those that have not been updated.

jani80k

Can you tell there is more clarity?

raif71

Major Contributor
For me no, there is not more clarity
Which should be the case as the fix imo is not audible. I'm currently enjoying the sound from my unaltered fw (also hw1.3 , sw 1.7) :)

timlub

I did not say that the fix is not audible. As I stated in my earlier post. The differences are subtle. I had a very slight peak or edge that was irritating on certain recordings that is no more.

Teroz

I got SMSL SU-9 and i thought that my hearing is just getting bad by age, DAMN. So glad i found this, i took out my old THX AAA amp/dac and yeah. The annoying "spike" is gone, it was distortion all along.
I just thought i cant stand anymore 1-2Khz sounds so much cos im getting older and used EQ to tame it hahaha. With monolith THX amp/dac its gone..
I will burn that $hitty SMSL, i tried to get it upgraded but i dont have the receipt anymore.
Newer again im going to buy ANY SMSL thing, im done with them.

timlub

@Teroz My SMSL SU-9 is excellent and a great value. I've sat in front many DAC, Shoot, I've owned 10. Granted, I've never owned a multi buck DAC, but I have sat in front of many. Of course my DAC has been corrected, but Dollar for Dollar, its a screamin value. Good luck

tommyst

My M500 is back from fixing. That was quite fast. My subjective impression is, that the clarity and sound stage has improved. The firmware number didn't change. However it has the DPLL setting now, which wasn't there before.

Top Bottom