• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

Paulo83

I have a device that has an upgraded firmware. I measured the output and the issue is gone.

Out of interest, did you receive an updated device or did you perform the update yourself?

fluufy

Could some one, please, clarify if putting the DAC before an Active buffer preamp (So at level under half) does remove the 3rd harmonic problem or when you re-amplyfy the harmonic distortion even being low distortion at low level gets re amplified externally (gets back in the signal) ? I mean if it is solved that way may be a temporary solution for european users till we get repair shop under our customs borders. I think it kind of solves the glare in my headphones. , Preamplifying externally, But not sure if i´m placeboing myself and dont have the proper equipment to measure it. I know the active preamp may introduce its own distortion, but i wanted to know if the odd harmonic in the original signal is only there when DACs digital level is high.
Way way back in this thread somewhere near the beginning of time I recall seeing that the issue is reduced at lower DAC output. 30 or 32 I think it was. A clean amp with enough grunt will cover that, both my Schiit Heresy and SMSL SH-9 will happily run my Hifiman Sundaras this way even with eq. But there is not much headroom, so if you have very hungry headphones you might want more.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I received what is clearly a previously used unit as it is missing caps and has minor marks. :|
Shit... that 'aint right at all. They supposed to be updating your unit and returning it to you, not sending out a refurb. I'd be asking sternly why this has occurred.

JSmith

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Could some one, please, clarify if putting the DAC before an Active buffer preamp (So at level under half) does remove the 3rd harmonic problem or when you re-amplyfy the harmonic distortion even being low distortion at low level gets re amplified externally (gets back in the signal) ? I mean if it is solved that way may be a temporary solution for european users till we get repair shop under our customs borders. I think it kind of solves the glare in my headphones. , Preamplifying externally, But not sure if i´m placeboing myself and dont have the proper equipment to measure it. I know the active preamp may introduce its own distortion, but i wanted to know if the odd harmonic in the original signal is only there when DACs digital level is high.
It's never solved with lowering volume, but if you reduce volume to below 25 or so, 3rd harmonic will drop below -100 dB relative to fundamental. Transparent to most but it will never meet spec until actually fixed.

the_brunx

Still waiting for SMSL to reply…

1625224293624.jpeg

juanjosaudio

It's never solved with lowering volume, but if you reduce volume to below 25 or so, 3rd harmonic will drop below -100 dB relative to fundamental. Transparent to most but it will never meet spec until actually fixed.
Thanks so much for your answer!! "Relative to fundamental" part was so clarifying!! so if i understand well using a buffer clean (linear) active line preamp will reduce the the problem, at least what i can percieve after knowing, but not solve It in the sense of device still performing under specified THD. I Hope they do set Up that european repair shop eventually so i can send them my two M500 to get them fixed. Another before that solution would be i Guess to put some patch (with Jack or similar software) in the streamer (if It is a computer) so i can use one M500 for left Channel and the other for right Channel. I know , this is unacceptable , you are getting 1/2 of what you paid for! And that wont work with DSD or MQA streams i guess.

Last edited:

juanjosaudio

Way way back in this thread somewhere near the beginning of time I recall seeing that the issue is reduced at lower DAC output. 30 or 32 I think it was. A clean amp with enough grunt will cover that, both my Schiit Heresy and SMSL SH-9 will happily run my Hifiman Sundaras this way even with eq. But there is not much headroom, so if you have very hungry headphones you might want more.
Thanks for the info!!! Maybe a clean line level active preamp in between DAC and AMP does get rid of that headroom problem.

Last edited:

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Maybe there is hope afterall...

@SHENZHENAUDIO, I bought my M500 direct from you guys. Do you have a process in place to do fixes from USA? Thanks!

Jeriko

Is there any “empirical value” regarding the repair process? Has anyone go through it and is satisfied with the results?

Paulo83

Of those that have mentioned they have updated m500 devices, can anyone confirm if they have done this themselves and if so where you got the firmware from please?

Top Bottom