• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

Veri

Master Contributor
Another good example is the THX 789, many don't realize this but the THX 789 being sold today is greatly inferior to the initially released device which was stamped and approved. This is just my opinion
Some proof would be in order haha..

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think one of the things we're experiencing with this device is something plaguing the tech industry being that a few months after release you're no longer guaranteed what you're gonna get as components used internally begin to change to cut back on costs. The follow-up review Prof. Wolf did never really measured every aspect of the V2 device to get a complete analysis and there's still unanswered questions about the max voltage on the V2 devices. Another good example is the THX 789, many don't realize this but the THX 789 being sold today is greatly inferior to the initially released device which was stamped and approved. This is just my opinion as I don't know how else to explain the clear difference I hear from a THX 789 to a Topping A30 Pro on otherwise same chain, the measurements obviously isn't telling the full story.

I watched this exact video today and thought of this thread. . .

Seems to be supply issues during COVID are giving some companies the opportunity to “mix and match” components without declaring anything to consumers.
(I thought of the OP amp swapping mentioned in this or another thread)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Firmware aside, I encourage all owners to inspect the internals and even post pics here.

There are plenty of companies that do much worse though... just is never discovered as not many open their units. Most companies have disclaimers that they may change spec's or parts at anytime... that said they must alter their advertised information.

The ol' "warranty void if seal broken" is a great way to ensure people never bother inspecting internals though. All ASR members should start posting and comparing internals of all owned and reviewed products in addition to teardown threads here.

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The ol' "warranty void if seal broken" is a great way to ensure people never bother inspecting internals though. All ASR members should start posting and comparing internals of all owned and reviewed products in addition to teardown threads here.

An illegal sticker both in the US and here in Australia. Bluff and bluster.

the_brunx

We are very sorry for this. After discussing with the dealer for a long time, it have the following decisions.

1.For warranty, If you buy on a sales website such as Amazon AliExpress, it is best to contact the seller for the completeness of the after-sales information. It can ship to US/CN for repair. Efforts are being made to develop repair locations in Europe, which can be shipped to Europe in the future to advoid custom fee. Is working hard to deal with this European repair site.

2.Other purchase channels, connect with the email: [email protected]

Thanks.
What’s the use of posting an email address which does not reply???

mycose

My replacement unit (with the fix) just arrived today, thank you @SHENZHENAUDIO.

I did notice a very subtle change between my old unit and the new one, which may or may not indicate if a given unit has the fix. My old unit had what seemed to be a bug with brightness control (turning brightness all the way down with the remote would literally turn the screen off). The new unit doesn't have such issue and the lowest brightness setting is clearly visible and won't turn the small screen off. I'm glad they fixed this small bug.
Firmware versions remain the same on both units (HW: 1.0, SW: 1.2, USB: 2.06). USB-wise both units are 100% identical, or at least lsusb -v output is. For the time being, there's no way to tell if the issue is fixed because everything is 99% exactly the same.

Serial numbers are:
Old unit: DAC22184
New unit: DAC63137

@SHENZHENAUDIO would you be so kind to tell us which serial numbers are affected and which ones are otherwise fixed? Thank you.

I'll eat my own words about what I said about SMSL. Also huge shout-out to @amirm , I don't think any of this would've happened without him. Hope y'all guys get your units fixed!

Paulo83

My replacement unit (with the fix) just arrived today, thank you @SHENZHENAUDIO.

I did notice a very subtle change between my old unit and the new one, which may or may not indicate if a given unit has the fix. My old unit had what seemed to be a bug with brightness control (turning brightness all the way down with the remote would literally turn the screen off). The new unit doesn't have such issue and the lowest brightness setting is clearly visible and won't turn the small screen off. I'm glad they fixed this small bug.
Firmware versions remain the same on both units (HW: 1.0, SW: 1.2, USB: 2.06). USB-wise both units are 100% identical, or at least lsusb -v output is. For the time being, there's no way to tell if the issue is fixed because everything is 99% exactly the same.

Serial numbers are:
Old unit: DAC22184
New unit: DAC63137

@SHENZHENAUDIO would you be so kind to tell us which serial numbers are affected and which ones are otherwise fixed? Thank you.

I'll eat my own words about what I said about SMSL. Also huge shout-out to @amirm , I don't think any of this would've happened without him. Hope y'all guys get your units fixed!

Where on your units are you reading those serial numbers?

Paulo83

There should be a white sticker on the right side of the unit. I forgot to mention that I'm talking about SU-9s
Ah that makes sense, the number on my M500 is very different, thought I might be looking at the wrong thing.

JoostE

Damn I am actually sad the screen cannot turn off completely anymore lol. I would just put it in DAC mode anyway, don't think I like the screen.

+DS_DV+

Damn I am actually sad the screen cannot turn off completely anymore lol. I would just put it in DAC mode anyway, don't think I like the screen.

i would also love a screen timeout : D

juanjosaudio

Could some one, please, clarify if putting the DAC before an Active buffer preamp (So at level under half) does remove the 3rd harmonic problem or when you re-amplyfy the harmonic distortion even being low distortion at low level gets re amplified externally (gets back in the signal) ? I mean if it is solved that way may be a temporary solution for european users till we get repair shop under our customs borders. I think it kind of solves the glare in my headphones. , Preamplifying externally, But not sure if i´m placeboing myself and dont have the proper equipment to measure it. I know the active preamp may introduce its own distortion, but i wanted to know if the odd harmonic in the original signal is only there when DACs digital level is high.

Last edited:

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone have luck getting the actual M500 updated/exchanged?

I just received my exchange. I have been prudent enough to purchase all respective gear from Apos Audio, which usually provides excellent customer service and a terrific 2 year extended warranty that they probably regret as the companies they work with are not keeping up their part of the bargain.

The exchange cost me $8 for return shipping and I received what is clearly a previously used unit as it is missing caps and has minor marks. :|

Supposedly it is a unit without the issue, but I cannot confirm that. It does have the latest firmware and hardware and has a new type of serial as far as I can tell (it does not begin with "DAC").

I don't know if @amirm is interested in testing the unit to see if they are indeed fixed. But maybe if 5 people donate $5 to the site to cover his expenses he may be willing to test it.

Top Bottom